Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of an email I received this morning -

We want to inform you how upcoming third party cellular network changes will impact your access to Hyundai Blue Link features in your 2014 Hyundai.

The Hyundai Blue Link device in your vehicle requires a 2G cellular network to access Blue Link services1,2. These cellular networks are maintained by wireless service providers outside the control of Hyundai and Hyundai Blue Link. Due to changes in telecommunications technology over time, the wireless service provider of the network enabling the use of your Hyundai Blue Link device has recently announced that it will discontinue 2G cellular network service by December 31, 2021.

As a consequence, after December 31, 2021, we regret your Hyundai Blue Link device will become inactive as a result of the network discontinuation and access to Blue Link services will be unavailable2 . We have adjusted our Service Plans to allow affected Hyundai Blue Link customers to have the maximum duration of service until the network discontinuation. Therefore, after February 23, 2021, annual subscription renewals for Hyundai Blue Link will no longer be available and will automatically renew to a Service Plan with month-to-month billing in order to access Blue Link services through December 31, 2021, unless you choose to cancel. Price will not be increased as a result of this change because all month-to-month subscriptions will be billed at a rate equal to the annual pricing.

·
Registered
925 Posts
We just canceled ours for our 2014 Santa Fe. Not because of this, this post is the first I've heard of this info, we canceled because over the past couple months we have had to use the Blue Link and it just rings and rings. This hasn't just been for a few seconds, it has been over 5 minutes of ringing. We ended up using the "roadside assistance" option one time to try to find out why our Santa Fe was telling us a problem was detected with the car and to contact Blue Link. After over 10 minutes of waiting the roadside assistance personnel were of absolutely no help. We've never really used it prior to the past few months, what a sore disappointment. We have had OnStar with a previous vehicle, and there is a huge difference between the two.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hyundai and Toyota cars use Verizon Wireless 3G, except the 2020 models that use LTE.
Verizon repeatedly delayed shutdown of CDMA and 3G, but I think this is it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
No email yet on my 2016 HSH Limited Ultimate, which is up for renewal in two months. The renewal web site within My Hyundai did allow me to select a 3-year renewal, for $505 for the Connected Care and Remote services. Yeah, that's going to be a "Nope".

·
Registered
2016 Sonata Hybrid Ltd Ultimate (43k mi) | 2013 Elantra GLS (76k mi) | 2012 Elantra Limited (75k mi)
358 Posts
I wonder what electronic module within our cars contains the cellular transmit / receive technology? As big of a cash cow as the Blue Link subscription service is to Hyundai, I would think they would offer a free or reduced price upgrade to this module for owners that wanted to keep the service in our older model vehicles.

Reactions: BMan_17

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wonder what electronic module within our cars contains the cellular transmit / receive technology? As big of a cash cow as the Blue Link subscription service is to Hyundai, I would think they would offer a free or reduced price upgrade to this module for owners that wanted to keep the service in our older model vehicles.
Yeah you'd think they'd have a modem that's compatible with the modern networks that they could retrofit.

The free 3 years on my 2018 Sonata will be up in April. I plan on trading it in this spring or summer anyway but wow I didn't realize what they charge you for that. For all the services they want over $750 for 3 years pre-paid. I look at my Bluelink reports for mileage and maintenance and I used to use the remote start when I worked at the bar but I don't need it that bad. Even if I wasn't trading it in I wouldn't shell out that much.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You'd think, right? But they are too busy asking you to complete a survey on how awesome the design of the website is. On a scale of 0 to 10, won't you tell all your friends about how awesome it is? No information, all just about whether you could figure out how to purchase a car or whether you like the design. I just heard about this and I'm furious. How about "we're working deligently to find a new provider?" Instead of, you can continue until you can't. Buh bye. Mine, of course, just renewed in August for the full amount for a year. Otherwise, I'd drop this immediately.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah you'd think they'd have a modem that's compatible with the modern networks that they could retrofit.

The free 3 years on my 2018 Sonata will be up in April. I plan on trading it in this spring or summer anyway but wow I didn't realize what they charge you for that. For all the services they want over $750 for 3 years pre-paid. I look at my Bluelink reports for mileage and maintenance and I used to use the remote start when I worked at the bar but I don't need it that bad. Even if I wasn't trading it in I wouldn't shell out that much.
They're too busy asking surveys about the design of their website then meeting about all the awesome data they collect. They don't have time to stinkin' fix the issue.

·
Registered
129 Posts

We want to inform you how upcoming third party cellular network changes will impact your access to Hyundai Blue Link features in your 2014 Hyundai.

The Hyundai Blue Link device in your vehicle requires a 2G cellular network to access Blue Link services1,2. These cellular networks are maintained by wireless service providers outside the control of Hyundai and Hyundai Blue Link. Due to changes in telecommunications technology over time, the wireless service provider of the network enabling the use of your Hyundai Blue Link device has recently announced that it will discontinue 2G cellular network service by December 31, 2021.

As a consequence, after December 31, 2021, we regret your Hyundai Blue Link device will become inactive as a result of the network discontinuation and access to Blue Link services will be unavailable2 . We have adjusted our Service Plans to allow affected Hyundai Blue Link customers to have the maximum duration of service until the network discontinuation. Therefore, after February 23, 2021, annual subscription renewals for Hyundai Blue Link will no longer be available and will automatically renew to a Service Plan with month-to-month billing in order to access Blue Link services through December 31, 2021, unless you choose to cancel. Price will not be increased as a result of this change because all month-to-month subscriptions will be billed at a rate equal to the annual pricing.
Notice they don't tell you how you can cancel now or get any money back, just how you can continue going thru to th end of the year. I'm ready to cancel now and renew my AAA.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We just canceled ours for our 2014 Santa Fe. Not because of this, this post is the first I've heard of this info, we canceled because over the past couple months we have had to use the Blue Link and it just rings and rings. This hasn't just been for a few seconds, it has been over 5 minutes of ringing. We ended up using the "roadside assistance" option one time to try to find out why our Santa Fe was telling us a problem was detected with the car and to contact Blue Link. After over 10 minutes of waiting the roadside assistance personnel were of absolutely no help. We've never really used it prior to the past few months, what a sore disappointment. We have had OnStar with a previous vehicle, and there is a huge difference between the two.
Did you do it after receiving the annual fee? Did you get any money back? Mine automatically renewed in August and I'd like to cancel now. PS Wonder why they don't contact OnStar and see if these can be refitted. Class Action suit people?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Did you do it after receiving the annual fee? Did you get any money back? Mine automatically renewed in August and I'd like to cancel now. PS Wonder why they don't contact OnStar and see if these can be refitted. Class Action suit people?
No, we did it right before our annual fee was due. Actually due in Feb, but close. I think, but not positive, that you would get some money back.

·
Registered
189 Posts
No, we did it right before our annual fee was due. Actually due in Feb, but close. I think, but not positive, that you would get some money back.
Got my notice on Monday for this as well.

Yeah, The ONstar system had a retrofit, for a different reason, but can't help to think they would have a potential retrofit to newer communication technology. Imagine the money they could make just on that, let alone the continuation of the BL service that almost like printing money.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Could this be a class action lawsuit? You'd think they'd offer us remote start on our key fobs vice relying solely on Blue link...
There is no promise of providing remote capability anywhere. There undoubtedly is language saying any service can be stopped at any time.

Someone at Hyundai undoubtedly already did the profitability math and determined that the number of people subscribing to their service on older cars is insignificant compared to the engineering costs to build a retrofit case, even if they lost all of that revenue.

Heck, they shot themselves in the foot by now posting stats on My Hyundai of the last time a function was used and the total number of times BlueLink was used. Figuring out my "cost per usage" over the last five years made that renewal decision a very easy "Nope".

·
Registered
1 Posts

I renewed mine last summer (2020) $199 for 1 year to be able to unlock my car (trunk) with my phone 2014 Sonata, after cab company unlocked my car and put the car in valet mode and couldn't use the button on the dash on the trunk to get my keys out.

However, in August of 2020, it was great!

My engine quit (one of the ones with the recalled knock sensor\bearing). I tapped the Bluelink button, awesome service rep, tow truck (20 min later), Uber showed up right as car being literally lifted on the truck.

No cost for the tow, the uber, or the loner for 9 days while getting the engine replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's what gets me.....I have a 2015 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. The sticker on my car was $34000 and they used the "blue link safety features" as a selling point. When my car was manufactured, 2G cellular was already 20 years old. 4G became available to the public around 2010. Why in the **** did they put 20 year old technology in our cars when they had new tech available to them? Over half my dashboard will cease to function at the end of the year. The value of our cars will decrease more because of the loss of functions. I'm extremely pissed over all this. I'd pay for the upgrade if they'd offer it.

I 100% agree that this should be a class action law suit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's what gets me.....I have a 2015 Hyundai Genesis Coupe. The sticker on my car was $34000 and they used the "blue link safety features" as a selling point. When my car was manufactured, 2G cellular was already 20 years old. 4G became available to the public around 2010. Why in the **** did they put 20 year old technology in our cars when they had new tech available to them? Over half my dashboard will cease to function at the end of the year. The value of our cars will decrease more because of the loss of functions. I'm extremely pissed over all this. I'd pay for the upgrade if they'd offer it.

I 100% agree that this should be a class action law suit.
I agree. I would pay for an upgraded module if the option was there. This was one of the reasons I bought my 2016 Elantra!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts