·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hyundai offers this as an upgrade for the 2014 Elantra:
https://oh075.hyundaiaccessories.com/accessories/2014/elantra/3x162-adu00/

Hyundai offer THIS as an upgrade on the 2014 Sonata:
https://oh075.hyundaiaccessories.com/accessories/2014/sonata/3q062-adu00/

I have attached the instructions for the Sonata kit. The instructions seem to show the mirror being updated is the 3 button Blue Link version.

Does anyone with Hyundai wiring experience or mirror install experience know if Hyundai:
1. Used the same connectors between same model years?
2. Used the same basic wiring pin-outs between same model years?
3. Used the same color interior illumination (blue)

If the above are true, then aside from the power wires needing spliced per the instructions this could be a plug and play OEM option for my Elantra that would give me Homelink for the garage door, auto dimming and compass while still maintaining Blue Link functionality. :grin2:

Anyone care to chime in and offer any advise? I'm looking to buy ASAP as I found a few new ones for a very good price and want to get them before they are sold.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I would remove the dome light from the Elantra to see if the wires and pins are the same as the Sonata. If they are I have a feeling they should work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would remove the dome light from the Elantra to see if the wires and pins are the same as the Sonata. If they are I have a feeling they should work.
Yeah, that's the easy answer. >:D

The issue is (and why I'm asking) is that I currently don't have my car. It's at the dealer getting some work done - long story for a different rant/ thread.

I just don't want to lose the mirror I found at the price I found it for before I get my car back to check. I also don't want to buy it and be stuck with a mirror that is not compatible or will require way too much labor and dismantling of the car to make work.

If it's lust a little different it may be workable and I should be fine. It's knowing if the connectors physically match up and that the wiring is the same (pin out) is what will make this a challenge. I'm also getting conflicting into on the number of wires used for Blue Link. Someone said 6, but the Sonata manual I linked to only shows 3 wires total on the original Blue Link only mirror that looks like my car's mirror. So are the instructions simplified for clarity or is the Sonata blue link that much different than the Elantra even though the mirrors look the same on the outside? Many questions... The Engineer in me has a fundamental need to solve them before I can purchase. It's my "OCD" if you will.

I was up until 3 am this morning looking for electrical diagrams on this with not much luck.:crying2:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just going to keep this thread alive as a sort of diary on this process.

If this works out I will make a "how to" thread on this for anyone else wanting to do this as it seems I am the first. :frown:

Getting power is easy. I was able to easily access the sunroof motor connector and the harness is long enough to splice into cleanly.

The Sunroof motor connector has:
  • Ground (Pin 1)
  • B+ ( Constant 12VDC) (Pin 6)
  • IGN2 (Switched 12VDC) (Pin 3)

NEW ISSUE: My car has a green wire in Pin 7, that is not shown on the diagram. This means I will need to confirm the other wires, but based on wire size, the digram I found here on the forum appears fairly accurate.

The Sonata Mirror requires power to drive the Compass, Home Link and Auto Dimming.

The Blue Link Mirror I believe already has power! I noticed this evening that the buttons illuminate. :smile: This would imply that of the 6 wires doing to the mirror - at least two of them are used for the illumination (12 VDC and Ground).

Here is the requirements for the Sonata Mirror:

NEW ISSUE: The Sonata mirror uses 5 wires. My Mirror has six. I have an extra wire in Pin 7. :surprise:

I am also trying to figure out the Blue Link signal. The install instructions call out only two lines (Blue Link Key Out (-) and Blue Link Key in (+)), yet there are three buttons on the mirror. I am also looking at my cars mirror and attempting to figure out why it needs 6 wires to do the same thing as the Sonata mirror does with 5. :surprise:

As is typical, two steps forward and one step back....:wallbash:

If anyone has access to actual 2014 Elantra schematic and is willing to help a fellow out, please feel free to do so. What I work out will benefit the community.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE 5-22-18

Well I see enough similarities that I believe this is doable. I have purchased the Sonata ECC mirror from eBay. ($95, new in original box with free shipping)

I should have it later this week if the shipping estimates on eBay are accurate. :smile:

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. I installed a Gentex (looks like your first link) off ebay for about the same price (no compass). No plug, but wiring is super simple. I wired the homelink to a constant power and the auto dimming to an ignition power. I did try the sunroof wiring, but it prevented the sunroof opening. Super easy to run down the A pillar to the fuse panel though. Maybe 5 minutes to wire.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shouldn't be a problem. I installed a Gentex (looks like your first link) off ebay for about the same price (no compass). No plug, but wiring is super simple. I wired the homelink to a constant power and the auto dimming to an ignition power. I did try the sunroof wiring, but it prevented the sunroof opening. Super easy to run down the A pillar to the fuse panel though. Maybe 5 minutes to wire.
The big assumptions I'm making are that "Blue Link" is "Blue Link" meaning the Sonata and Elantra hopefully share the same software/firmware architecture especially since the mirror is designed for the same year of car as my Elantra as well as other years I'm sure. The install schematic seems to show that the Sonata Blue Link (all 3 buttons) are run thru two wires and maybe a ground. So there must be some sort of MUX or signal identifier involved.

The other features appear to be self contained within the mirror (Compass, HomeLink and Dimming) so simply applying appropriate power is all that is needed. (12VDC switched, 12VDC constant)

As an Engineer, I'm also looking at the specific circuits Hyundai is tapping into on the Hyundai. There has to be a reason that they are not using the original cars harness for power. My guess is current draw thru that circuit. Since I will need to splice two lines into my car, I am attempting to use the same circuit that the Sonata does. This way I maintain an ample capacity for the mirror to draw without overloading the cars circuit.

Overthinking this - you bet. :grin2: But as an Engineer, my mind only works in this way.

I am curious - How you lost the sunroof operation by splicing into the harness?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I upgraded to an auto-dimming / homelink mirror in my '15 Sonata and it was completely plug and play.
Looking at the pictures in the links you posted the differences between the 2 mirrors may be their overall size.
Since the Sonata is a larger car the mirror may be bigger as well. Would make sense that the Elantra mirror would be a little smaller so it would fit in between the sun visors better.
Most likely both mirrors are made by Gentex. The one for the Sonata is.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I updated my BlueLink not Homelink/auto-dimming mirror to the full function BlueLink/Homelink/Compass/Auto dimming mirror and the only additional wiring were two wires that connected near the fuse box. I think one was a switched power for the compass/auto dim and the other was a constant power for the Homelink function. Allows you to open the garage door without a key.

And I believe all flavors of the powered or smart mirrors are made by Gentech.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I am curious - How you lost the sunroof operation by splicing into the harness?

No clue, I tapped into what was supposed to be the ignition power. Mirror powered up, sunroof didn't work. Took off splice, sunroof worked. So I just ran it down the A pillar.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
That is probably true for Hyundai since a manufacturer usually has a contract with a car company but Nissan uses Donnelly mirrors for their auto-dimming / compass mirrors.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at the pictures in the links you posted the differences between the 2 mirrors may be their overall size.
Since the Sonata is a larger car the mirror may be bigger as well. Would make sense that the Elantra mirror would be a little smaller so it would fit in between the sun visors better.
Most likely both mirrors are made by Gentex. The one for the Sonata is.
Well :blink: I didn't take into account size. I hope it's not so big it will look odd or prevent sun visor operation. :frown:

I updated my BlueLink not Homelink/auto-dimming mirror to the full function BlueLink/Homelink/Compass/Auto dimming mirror and the only additional wiring were two wires that connected near the fuse box. I think one was a switched power for the compass/auto dim and the other was a constant power for the Homelink function. Allows you to open the garage door without a key.

My brief research agrees with you. Two wires. Gentex does seem to be behind 90%+ of all the OEM mirrors I find.

No clue, I tapped into what was supposed to be the ignition power. Mirror powered up, sunroof didn't work. Took off splice, sunroof worked. So I just ran it down the A pillar.
This is perplexing. The amount of current the mirror would take from that circuit would be parasitic compared to the sun roof motor. I have a few theories, but nothing concrete. I'm glad you found a solution. I was looking at that connector for my mirror as it would be a cleaner install. I may need to rethink that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
UPDATE 5-23-18

Looking into likely circuits to splice into. The below circuits are sunroof related, "Electro Chromic Mirror"(AKA Auto Dimming mirror) or the overhead console.

Obviously I will also need to consider ease of access to these circuits and wires, but would like to keep it as "OEM" as possible with as little disassembly as possible and as electrically correct.

I would like to find a copy of the manual for the mirror slated for the Elantra:
https://oh075.hyundaiaccessories.com/accessories/2014/elantra/3x162-adu00/
to see what circuits they tap into for that installation. Anyone know where I can find a link or could email me the info?

Considered circuits, their amperes and what they control:

MODULE 2
7.5A
Electro Chromic MIrror, ESC Off Switch

SUNROOF
15A
Sunroof

INTERIOR LAMP
10A
Luggage Lamp, Vanity Lamps, Room Lamp, Overhead Console Lamp, Ignition Key III, Door Warning Switch(W/O Smart Key)

MODULE 5
7.5A
Cluster Ionizer (Auto A/C), Rain Sensor, Sunroof

MEMORY
10A
Tire Pressure Monitoring Module, BCM, Auto Light & Photo Sensor. Instrument Cluster, Data Link Connector, Smart Junction Box Upgrade Connector, Electro Chromic Mirror, A/C Control Module, Digital Clock

I'm not sure why some components are on two circuits but I assume it may be constant voltage and switched. I also don't know if all cars will use these.
Perhaps one version uses one circuit, another used a different. The manual lists all versions. Again, with out an electrical diagram I can not easily tell. :frown:

EDIT: Given the above circuits. It makes sense that the "MEMORY 10A" one would be constant 12VDC. It also lists the Electro Chromic Mirror. The other circuit that lists the mirror is "MODULE 2 7.5A". Perhaps this is a Switched 12VDC circuit. This would be optimal electrically since the fuses would also be labeled for future reference. Lets hope they are easy to find in the car near the headliner.....:nerd:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Normally, Hyundai wires the Homelink buttons to have constant power even when the car is off.
This is why I did not program my Homelink buttons as my car sits in my driveway because I have 2 antique cars in the garage.
So the schematic would have one constant power feed and one switched power feed as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Normally, Hyundai wires the Homelink buttons to have constant power even when the car is off.
This is why I did not program my Homelink buttons as my car sits in my driveway because I have 2 antique cars in the garage.
So the schematic would have one constant power feed and one switched power feed as well.
Interesting point. Never thought of that. Break into the car and have access to your entire garage or home. :surprise:

I'm wanting to use Home Link as I have not had a proper garage door opener in over 8 years. I've been locked out of my home several times when returning from an outing. My wife has always kept a standard opener on her visor. We never considered the possibility of someone breaking in. :|

I'm wondering if the constant power is required for the memory for the Home Link as well. If it were possible to only have the Home Link powered up with the car on (switched 12VDC) and not lose the Home Link, Blue Link or Compass settings/ calibration that would be great. My mind is telling me that the constant 12VDC is required for proper operation and memory retention.

Did you install the Home Link only mirror (No Blue Link)? Is so any chance I can get a copy of the installation instructions?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts