1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
870 Posts
They mentioned something like this at CES earlier this year, using Google Maps for navigation and all. Looked pretty cool.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Give me a future Genesis Coupe, preferably boosted with HTRAC, designed under Fluidic Sculpture 2.0, and Android based touch screen Nav and I'll be a happy camper! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Google Maps require a data connection to work. I doubt Google will create a customized version for them which loads all maps (caching local maps is a joke in Google Maps). I don't consider Google Maps a real car navigation system, is a last resource only. They may give you Google Maps (free any way on Android) and let you buy and install your own software, going out of the business of providing GPS software for the cars (make sense).If you have a data connection and are OK with it you can keep using it.

If they decide to license and give you a preloaded software, I would say iGO is a main candidate, as they already use them in Australia OEM system (WinCE based, but their Android version runs great).They have their own online map upgrade system (but like any real GPS software the maps are stored on the device, you just need data to upgrade the maps once or twice a year), so Hyundai does not care after about maintaining. If you have a data connection, you can use additional services like traffic, but it's just an add on feature not necessary for navigation.
But is just a guess they can go with Garmin/Navigon or any other names, there are a few packages on Android. They may even use different software in different countries, some software has more fans then other depending of the country.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yea... this is yesterday's news. Hyundai has been developing android platform quite a while and exhibited in many shows demonstrating mirrorlink app. Data can be tethered from your phone (assuming in car android supports wi-fi) tough it will drain your battery in no time if you don't keep it plugged in. I support Hyundai decision of going with Android :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Keep in mind very little Android, if any, is exposed to the end user. It is very much just the low level operating system. The system they showed off at CES was Android based with many custom apps and running the Dragon Drive platform. You will not be able to install apps from the app store on these things. They will certainly be set to only allow apps signed by Hyundai.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts