Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jul 21 2010, 02:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343624
How about the US auto makers just try making better products? ...Now there's a thought.

Yes, but not a thought that some want to express.

I would say that both Chevy and Ford are doing better, especially in the mid-sized sedan market.

The question that you somewhat ask is whether the consumer should have the "vote" on what product is desirable or should the government make that decision. It would seem the Senators from Michigan and Ohio believe the government is better poised to decide what is best for the rest of us.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jul 21 2010, 02:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343624
If I'm not mistaken, since Hyundais are built in Alabama, [I don't know where Kias are made] wouldn't it make an import sanction on Korean cars moot? How about the US auto makers just try making better products? ...Now there's a thought.

Michigan and Ohio senators demand Obama gets tough on South Korean auto importing
Just to clarify, Sonata's are assembled in Alabama from US and Korean parts. However, I am pretty sure that not all of the lineup is assembled in Alabama.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Take a look at the Gensis and you will notice it is hardly even touched here in the US. Again you have Korea vs Mexico when it comes to car building. Ford is 2 fold better then GM and you can just leave out CDJ.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I very seriously considered a Fusion. But there were some odd things about it that my wife didn't like and I had been following a 4 cyl issue with coolant that made me end up with a Sonata.

US manufacturers want us to buy their products, then maybe their unions should emphasize quality concerns rather than worrying about making sure the company "pays them their dues". Now that Ford is showing profit and so forth the unions JUMPED hard on the wagon to get their money. If you are selling your product, the paychecks will come. If nobody buys, then what?

Make a better product. Don't rely on the government to stop competition. That's just short sighted and narrow minded.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Actually they aren't talking about making it toughher to import Hyundai / Kias but they want South Korea to make it easier to sell US made cars in South Korea. Pretty much they are saying the it's hard to get US made goods imported and they feel it's only fair that US companies have easy access to the Korean market as how easy the Korean companies are having access to the US market. Has nothing to do with the US wanting to put more restrictions or bans on Hyundai and Kias. Very bad and misleading article title, but it did get people to click on it and read it.

Last sentence wasn't talking about Doc_V but Autoblog.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Souks @ Jul 21 2010, 09:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343762
Actually they aren't talking about making it toughher to import Hyundai / Kias but they want South Korea to make it easier to sell US made cars in South Korea. Pretty much they are saying the it's hard to get US made goods imported and they feel it's only fair that US companies have easy access to the Korean market as how easy the Korean companies are having access to the US market. Has nothing to do with the US wanting to put more restrictions or bans on Hyundai and Kias. Very bad and misleading article title, but it did get people to click on it and read it.

Last sentence wasn't talking about Doc_V but Autoblog.

I can't speak for the article, however it wasn't my intent to mislead and I fully understood what the demand was. They want the Prez to lean on S. Korea to make it easier for the US to sell cars there. I still hold by my same sentiment... If they want to sell more cars, build better ones. Yes Ford is stepping up however, I'm sure if all US auto manufactures built better cars, there would be more demand. It would be interesting to see, compared to the US, how hard Germany finds it to sell cars in S. Korea. I'd gamble that BMW and MBZ are not having too many problems.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Exactly it's a global economy now, you can't expect governments to help you out all the time. You want to compete, you have to make proucts people want. If Hyundai and Kia didn't step up their game, there is no way their sales would be this strong this year. You can only sell so many cars based on low price alone.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jul 21 2010, 01:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343624
If I'm not mistaken, since Hyundais are built in Alabama, [I don't know where Kias are made] wouldn't it make an import sanction on Korean cars moot? How about the US auto makers just try making better products? ...Now there's a thought.

Michigan and Ohio senators demand Obama gets tough on South Korean auto importing
FYI there is a huge Kia plant right up the road from the Montgomery Hyundai plant. It is about 90 minutes up I-85 just over the state line in Georgia.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently tried buying American. I wanted to support the US auto industry and I liked the Mustang a lot so I bought a 2010 back in February. What a piece of junk! To make matters worse, Ford acted like they were doing me a favor fixing all the issues with it. When I tried to get them to buy it back, they refused. Long story short, I ended up selling it back to the dealer I bought it from at a loss. When I sold it, it was in their shop on it's 5th visit for repairs in 4 months of ownership; a total of 21 days. I know I could have held out a while longer and took it to court under the lemon law, but I just wanted to get on with my life.

This ordeal changed my whole outlook on this issue. As far as I'm concerned, if the American auto industry or any American industry can't hold it's own and build a superior product, it does not deserve to exist.

As for me, I'm sticking with Hyundai from now on. In fact, my wife and I just bought a new Kia Soul for her so now we're a 100% Hyundai/Kia family.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts