Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my ailing Hyundai Accent, is in the hands of a mechanic with a diagnostic kit, I have been considering trading it in for a Hyundai Coupe, (probably about 3/4 years old), with low mileage. I have been reading up and have seen various reports anyone got anything useful to add. I dont really want to trade car in for a BMW (much as I would love to) as my annual mileage just makes that a stupid equation. The Hyundai seems reasonably good value for money, but bearing in mind the hassle I have had with my accent this year, new gear box, clutch, now idling hassles etc I am kind of sort of having second thoughts. Any comments. good or bad would be welcome., Thanks, oh and Happy New Year everyone,

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hi Sheryl, happy New Year/car!.

All the experts (& owners)........including the entire Top Gear team, while berating the quality & performance of all Korean cars, consistantly make an exception of the Hyundai Coupe.....which they love!.

With the sole exclusion of the under-powered 1.6 model, the Coupe`s are highly recommended........my choice being the 2.0SE model (as the 2.7 V6 is rather thirsty).

The build quality, handling & performance of this car is light-years ahead of the Accent..........don`t take my word for it, check the U.K. Hyundai Coupe Forums here :-U.K.H.C.C.

Good luck & happy hunting!
Nick. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
I actually would not be so keen to go for the new 2.0 litre Coupe having driven one myself when helping test drive cars for a friend (she wanted my opinion on the cars so I was more than happy to go along and test drive them myself - nearly making a salesman soil himself as I spun a Celica sideways round a roundabout - intentionally ;) ).

ANYWAY - took the 2.0 litre out for a spin, and although it has a good performance and handling at lower speeds it suffered quite a lot at high speeds.

Travelling at 80 MPH I dropped the car from 5th into 4th and floored it - the car hardly accelerated. I had to drop it into 3rd to get it to accelerate. I'm pretty sure I could overtake one of these on the road in my old Accent at high speeds if I wanted to.

I then looked up the specs online - the 2 litre only kicks out 136 BHP which isn't much when you consider my 5 year old X3 Accent 1.5 MVI kicks out 105 BHP.

But at the end of the day it depends on what you are after - ALWAYS test drive a car (even if you are not going to buy it!!! :) ) as this is the best way to see how it feels to you - because at the end of the day you might not like it. Me & my friend were test driving for a performance car. What do you want out of a car?

If you are going for an older Coupe and want the performance - then if you can go for an F2 Evolution Coupe - as they have been tuned up and are supposed to have a lot better performance than the bog standard coupe's

1 - 3 of 3 Posts