Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought this subforum could use a type of 'random' thread where you could post up your thoughts, progress, project photos, ideas, and stuff of a random sort without making a whole new thread for a single question, thought, idea, project or photo. Almost a 'Random Accent Project Thread.'
(I want a place to share our 'random' thoughts without making brand new threads)

You can use my first post as an example, if you'd like.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a bit of birthday money on Tuesday and I was thinking I would buy the Kia engine cover and some matte white Grand Prix fender stripes followed by a Carbing bronze-chrome shift knob for the Accent.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
great topic thread. im really running out of ideas to do for my car. i do want to get a new set of wheels but i need to get them one by one or at a great price.

I also want to replace my plastic CAI with something more sturdy.

Most things that hold me back now is no garage to do my work.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great topic thread. im really running out of ideas to do for my car. i do want to get a new set of wheels but i need to get them one by one or at a great price.

I also want to replace my plastic CAI with something more sturdy.

Most things that hold me back now is no garage to do my work.
Yeah wheels and tires will likely be my first 'real' mod. Luckily i get big discounts. Also lucky i have a garage. 'Sucks to be without one-- sorry to hear that.

I'm going to have the same size wheel as my Celica so that i can interchange tires between cars if needbe.

350 Posts
My fiancee and I take the Accent as an exercise in cheap automotive transportation. The whole point is getting a crapload of useful miles for the least money possible. We did make an exception for a new stereo deck, so now it has an alpine that does Pandora and she loves that. She drives it most of the time & miles.

The only other mods we've done were all to prevent dead batteries. I put a lite-minder in it to buzz if she leaves the headlights on, and I put LED lights in the dome & trunk in case she doesn't completely latch a door. Yes, this used to happen, and she'd park the car for 2 days and come back to a dead battery. Hasn't happened since the mods though.

Apart from that it's just ordinary maintenance- and that has been phenomenally cheap with this car. I've gotten the oil changes down to the $11-14 range. A set of front brake pads ran us $13 last year. New spark plugs for $14. Changing the ATF was a bit pricier, I think it was $30 for the Hyundai SP III. A set of 4 new tires, mounted & balanced for under $90.

The worst we've had to deal with was the high stop light. All but 2 of the LEDs had failed, so we replaced it. Dealer-only part, so it wasn't cheap- I forget exactly but most of a hundred bucks.

Over all, I'm just amazed at how inexpensive it is to keep this car maintained 100% to the book, and it drives perfectly.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I'll play.

For my next set of tires I'm going to switch back to the oem 16's. Mostly just to change up the looks for a while.

I am debating whether to go with the oem 205/45R16 tire size, or try a 195/50R16 to get just a little more sidewall and ground clearance. The thin tires absolutely suck if I drive my car into DC or something.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll play.

For my next set of tires I'm going to switch back to the oem 16's. Mostly just to change up the looks for a while.

I am debating whether to go with the oem 205/45R16 tire size, or try a 195/50R16 to get just a little more sidewall and ground clearance. The thin tires absolutely suck if I drive my car into DC or something.
There isn't a huge difference there. I mean, only 5mm difference in sidewall and 10mm in width.

Maybe you could have two 'modes.' Pedestrian mode - 195/50/16 and Autocross mode - 205/45/16(?)

---

Also, i'm going to utilize this thread for a couple off the cuff questions:
What is the thread of the Lug Nuts?
What is the thread of the shift knob?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
eh. i commute about 90 miles a day now and live out in the sticks, and unfortunately haven't made time to go autocross in years. im happy with a race sim setup at home and just 1 set of tires for the car. priorities changed i guess when i bought a house to tinker with and 2 other beater cars to keep relatively roadworthy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
been a while since ive been on here, i just got my meagan racing springs and found some BBS 14x7.5 4x100 off a BMW. Cant wait to put em on, luckily my tires on my steelies will fit the new rims and it will have a slight stretch look, im excited to see how it will turn out after all of the parts are installed.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
been a while since ive been on here, i just got my meagan racing springs and found some BBS 14x7.5 4x100 off a BMW. Cant wait to put em on, luckily my tires on my steelies will fit the new rims and it will have a slight stretch look, im excited to see how it will turn out after all of the parts are installed.

That's a nice sized wheel, but I have trouble finding performance tires in the right sizes for 14''.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the "livery" i'm thinking of doing to the Accent next summer for "Summer Mode." I made this in Forza 4.

Decals would be subject to change, of course.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There aren't any carbon fiber hoods for the MC Accent, so i'm wondering what I could possibly do to lighten up my Accent's hood-- it is ridiculously heavy. I bet if there were a CF hood, it would save me about 30lbs.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
maybe cut out the bracing on the underside of the hood?

I actually need to cut a hole in mine at one of the corners.... Car was parked outside last winter, had some mice taking up residence in there at night, they stashed a bunch of acorns INSIDE the bracing on the hood. so every time i open or close the hood you hear a bunch of nuts rolling around. haha. I need to remove the hood and try and get those out of there still.

In other news I washed my car last night..first time in 5 months and approx. 10k miles. Maybe i'll spring to get it fully detailed before winter this year as a 100k mile gift or something.

1 - 20 of 454 Posts