Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a Hyundai accent 2006, it has hardly been used so it only has 10700 miles on the clock. As it is 8 years old I've been told I need to change the timing BT and water pump.
Is this true or should I wait until I've done 60000 miles.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The timing belt gets done at 4 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first), so if it hasn't been done, you need to do it ASAP. A broken timing belt will usually wreck the engine. At 8 years, I'd probably do the water pump, too. You're definitely on borrowed time with the timing belt.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, I'd definitely do the timing belt if it hasn't been done. Might be hardened and cracked just from age. As Margarets Dad said, you don't want it to break.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's good to be concerned about the belt, since it is so catastrophic if it fails. As everyone has pointed out, you are well past the maintenance interval because of the age of the car.

I personally believe that with such incredibly low mileage, the odds are very good that the belt is still fine -- but unless you are willing to inspect the belt and make that call for yourself, best to have it changed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much obliged to all posts, I've just ordered a manual and it should be here in a few days and I'm getting a full service and changing the timing belt on Monday.
As it's only done 10700 miles I'll leave the water pump....providing there's nothing obviously wrong with.
Once again, many thank for the input.
Bryann73.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got my timing belt done on Thursday and the total cost was $479.

This included the labor (3.2 hrs at $100/hr), timing belt, drive belts, and pulley.

Hope this helps :)

-Danielle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts