Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My Uncle's friends have a 2012 sonata hybrid. The car won't start, because the hybrid system warning is on the cluster. They said the hybrid battery is too low.
I want to know if a possible to charge this battery?

Thanks.
ps: sorry my english is not good, I speak french.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The combustion engine will charge the hybrid battery when the car is running. However, in order to start the car the conventional 12 volt battery (located in the trunk) must be charged up or the car cannot start. I suggest that they do a conventional jump start with jumper cables on the regular (trunk) battery. Once started, the gas engine should start and then begin charging the hybrid battery. They may need to replace the 12v battery.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The one in the trunk is a standard battery, it can be jumped standard way to drive the car. There is one US battery company that sells the exact model. The terminals are reversed from normal so the model number will have a "R" on it. AutoCraft Gold BATTERY-GOLD ATOCF H6R

Other have bought the same size that fits but have extended the terminals so they will attache. A dealer wants some $375 !

If you are talking about the hybrid battery, that is a dealer question.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hi,

My Uncle's friends have a 2012 sonata hybrid. The car won't start, because the hybrid system warning is on the cluster. They said the hybrid battery is too low.

Thanks.

Need 12V battery to turn on Hybrid Battery power..

I assume we get in and step on brake, push the button, but all we have is instrument cluster lit up like Christmas tree with the normal "key on" warning lights,, no EV or READY light ??

Complete Fault Code Search of all onboard modules going to be needed..
though I suspect they will likely find codes related to Power Relay (done a bunch here already since Nov 2017) ----> scroll first couple pages here in Hybrid,, topic running already to where I have pics posted of YF Hybrid and LFA Hybrid systems..

Seen a few that flipped HSG belt off due to tensioner arm bushing wear too,, and a bunch of Electric Oil Pump (not related to start concern)

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonat...hybrid-limited-check-hybrid-system-issue.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonat...lf/637757-concerned-about-hybrid-battery.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all answers. I charged the 12V battery in the trunk. This have not helped to start the car. So, I want to charge hybrid battery, it possible?

thanks again!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Thanks for all answers. I charged the 12V battery in the trunk. This have not helped to start the car. So, I want to charge hybrid battery, it possible?

thanks again!
NO !!

Hybrid battery has nothing to do with EV - READY light..

You cannot charge Hybrid battery,, any attempt to tamper with 277V battery without proper training can cause very severe injury / death

You need to have dealer do complete scan.. I suspect Power Relay and Safety connector fault..

Total repair,, IF that is indeed the problem, will be around $1100,,, relay is rough 600, safe plug is $100 (might be more),, and figure 3 hr shop rate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Thanks.
MINE WAS CALLED: "BATTERY DISCHARGE WARNING"...ANOTHER WARNING CAME UP WHICH TOLD ME TO PULL-OVER & STOP MY CAR & CHECK MY BRAKES...WHILE ALL THIS WAS GOING ON, MY CAR WOULDN'T START, PLUS ANOTHER WARNING POPPED-UP STATING THAT MY SMART-KEY WASN'T DETECTABLE, BUT IT WAS IN THE CUP-HOLDER...I TRIED STARTING THE CAR FOR ABOUT 30-MINUTES, BUT I NOTICED THAT MY INTERIOR LIGHTS WERE DIMMING...THE RADIO WOULDN'T COME ON...THE POWER WINDOWS/DOORS BUTTONS BARELY WORKED...I CALLED ROADSIDE-ASSISTANCE & THEY CAME OUT & JUMPED THE BATTERY THAT'S IN THE TRUNK OF THE "HYBRID" & TOLD ME I HAD TO DRIVE IT/RUN IT FOR AN ENTIRE HOUR BEFORE SHUTTING IT OFF...I DID & IT'S ALL NORMAL NOW...I PANICKED INITIALLY THOUGH!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts