Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a couple of posts about the hybrid systems failure happening in 2012-2013 models but have never heard a complaint on 2014 or newer models.

Last night on my drive home from work it happened to me. The car has about 43000 km on it.

I was driving on a busy city street at about 40km per hour when all of a sudden it felt like I hit a brick wall. I went from 40 to 20 in less then a second and the dashboard displayed the message "Hybrid System Warning! Safely stop and do not drive!" At that point my engine became possessed! The revs were all over the place and I could hear the engine from inside.

after MUCH pressure on the breaks I was able to pull the car over to the side of the road (very jerky action) and get the car stopped.

I then called a tow and got the car brought to my dealer.

After about 2 hours the tech brought me into the back of the garage to show me the print out of error codes that he is using as a checklist to work out the problems. "Normally there are 2-3 error codes, your vehicle has 3 full pages"

Needless to say I was not getting my car back that night. So I guess Hyundai would provide me with a rental? I did purchase extended coverage through the dealer when I purchased my car. Surely the line that said "rental car included" meant I would be able to get a free rental while my car was being repaired? NOPE! Apparently the extended coverage was 3rd party and does not take effect until the factory warrenty expires.

Long story short I eventually got a rental and I'm still awaiting a call from my dealer for 3 things:
1. Will the tow cost be reimbursed?
2. Will the rental be charged to me?
3. When will I get my car back?

UGH! Sorry about the rant. Anybody else experience the hybrid systems failure?

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
after MUCH pressure on the breaks I was able to pull the car over to the side of the road (very jerky action) and get the car stopped.

After about 2 hours the tech brought me into the back of the garage to show me the print out of error codes that he is using as a checklist to work out the problems. "Normally there are 2-3 error codes, your vehicle has 3 full pages"
Got copy of the GDS print ?.. Supply him with a USB stick, tell him to Save GDS "print to file", and put it on your stick for upload here, I wanna see this

Long story short I eventually got a rental and I'm still awaiting a call from my dealer for 3 things:
USA has roadside assist, call number, they tow to closest Hyundai dealer.. as covered by Hyundai Motor witihin applicable time period or warranty time

If car warranty, they should provide you with loaner if they have one typically, or get authorization for rental if Hyundai Canada cover it

Hybrid concerns, not right away, unless something simple.. seems complicted Hybrid stuff turns into catastrophe for customer satisfaction with getting car back in timely fashion.. likely be bunch of go around with between dealer and Hyundai Canada, dealer tech and Hyundai assist, getting parts, just have to wait it out to see what the actual root fault determined to be

Random Hybrid here,, seen a few goofy things, worst I had was a trans electric motor that was out of phase, so it not rotate,, and a trans electric oil pump that made for shift concerns and not move.. co-worker put 2 trans in same car, 1st unit was faulty, so install another, weird brake issues, couple brake boosters and a HECU module.. I put a 270V battery in one

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sorry that happened to you. Towing should be covered for sure as long as it was to nearest dealer as mentioned on their site here:

"Hyundai Roadside Assistance will tow your vehicle to the nearest Hyundai dealership or authorized service facility if your vehicle is inoperable, even for non-warranty-related tows, such as accidents."

Not sure about the rental though. When my dealer would have my car for more than a day they would always provide a loaner.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's scary. Going from 40 to 20 in a sec could have caused an accident if the car in the back was too close. Keep us updated, interested to know what the problem was...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sbr711, I have emailed my service advisor to get a copy of the GDS printout. I will stop by the garage on my drive home from work today to get a copy if he does not reply before i leave from work today.

That's scary. Going from 40 to 20 in a sec could have caused an accident if the car in the back was too close. Keep us updated, interested to know what the problem was...
That is EXACTLY what was coursing through my mind all weekend! what if my kids were in the car??? my back was in pain all weekend from this i cant imaging what would have happened if my entire family was in the car... luckily this was the one day i left work early so that roads weren't as busy or i would have been a lot worse off

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mechanic wasn't sure if they are legally allowed to provide the GDS report to me... So I did some under cover work and took some pictures of the papers he had out for my car. :)

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The mechanic had my car hooked up to Hyundai remote assistance who were diagnosing it while I was there. Let me know if you see anything.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Judging by that, I say your computer/ECU took a major dump.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the car back the other day. Something about an "AHB" controlled malfunctioned and had to be replaced. Going to look at the paper later and post exactly what they wrote

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got the car back the other day. Something about an "AHB" controlled malfunctioned and had to be replaced. Going to look at the paper later and post exactly what they wrote
Glad you've gotten in back relatively quickly.

By the three pages of codes it was looking like a communication error here. I had a module connection dislodge partially in a truck a few years back, looked fairly similar, all sorts of unrelated codes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My shutdown failure required the National Hyundai rep to Ok the repair. It wasn't easily understood from the car info. Turned out to be the "electric oil pump for the transmission".
It sits on top of the transmission. Its not hard to change, and I saw that Rockauto sells them, for around $400, back then.
Stands to reason, no trans oil pressure, no go! I was under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read a couple of posts about the hybrid systems failure happening in 2012-2013 models but have never heard a complaint on 2014 or newer models.

Last night on my drive home from work it happened to me. The car has about 43000 km on it.

I was driving on a busy city street at about 40km per hour when all of a sudden it felt like I hit a brick wall. I went from 40 to 20 in less then a second and the dashboard displayed the message "Hybrid System Warning! Safely stop and do not drive!" At that point my engine became possessed! The revs were all over the place and I could hear the engine from inside.

Needless to say I was not getting my car back that night. So I guess Hyundai would provide me with a rental? I did purchase extended coverage through the dealer when I purchased my car. Surely the line that said "rental car included" meant I would be able to get a free rental while my car was being repaired? NOPE! Apparently the extended coverage was 3rd party and does not take effect until the factory warrenty expires.

Just happened to me today with a 2013 Sonata hybrid. Exactly the same, including similar mileage, except that the dealership (TriCity in Milwaukee WI) to which I was towed this afternoon has been wonderful. Updates while I waited; free loaner car; and advice on getting towing expenses reimbursed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts