Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today, at about 1280 miles, my 2014 HSH shuttered while driving through a parking lot at 5-10 mph and then had a warning light come on as shown in the photo below which says "Hybrid System Warning" however BlueLink said it was receiving a "Transmission Control System" error code P1777. It's on the way to the dealer now and I am a very sad new HSH owner. It's hard not to think I have a Lemmon with such a disabling issue at 1000 miles. I'm sure I'll find out what the issue is tomorrow but I was slightly impatient and wanted to post it here and see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Going from an error code and that warning to a lemon is quite the step.

It could be worse... you could drive a GM that might shut fully off while driving and not have any airbags, brakes, power steering etc...

Yes, others have had that issue. There have been a few reasons I believe... I'm just too lazy to search for you :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had an elantra sputter once I put in gear began to move at a slow speed and the cars check engine light came on and the car would not go past 2nd gear. Turned out a wire came loose that communicated to the brain of the car to the transmission so it did not go past first gear and threw on the CEL. Hopefully its nothing or atleast a simple fix the newer HSH are pretty reliable from what I have seen.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Your question is sort of like having a pain in our side, the doc appt is tomorrow but you cannot wait, go on the internet and look at all possible diseases and decide it is cancer before even getting a diagnosis.

So to placate you I think the car is terminal and you should trade it in ASAP

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd appreciate it if everyone that has responded stopped referring to the one insignificant remark I made about "how it's hard not to think" it's a Lemmon which obviously is an utterance of disappointment rather than a strongly supported opinion. I was hoping those that chimed in would offer something a little more substantive on the subject of this particular disablement. Of course my initial post was a bit pessimistic and cynical being that I made it in the parking lot waiting for the wrecker; yours would probably be similar if your car threw a CEL at 1000 miles and stopped driving. To the one person that offered more than a sarcastic response, thank you for the input.

·
Registered
398 Posts
AZ - I was going to post in your defense as well. I'd be just as disappointed if I got this issue so early. As some of us early 2011 HSH drivers remember, we also had threads on lemon law when we had our hybrid system issue which shut down our cars due to the hpcu issue.
There has been many threads on issues which may be related to yours, you might want to do a quick search on these forums; there are many helpful posts. I don't think any of the early hpcu issues are related nor is the software update related to your's. A couple things to research. I think some members had some position sensor issue which caused transmission issues and errors like yours (transmission position sensor??? something like that). I've had a transmission failure at 60k on my 2011 Hybrid (I don't think they changed the transmission since the first model). I would also suggest some caution if the 'fix' is a transmission software reset; my transmission issue was 'fixed' several times by just resetting it but it always came back until the transmission replacement.
Anyways, please keep us updated on your progress, I hope it's a one time issue.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
my point above was simply that the car is under warranty, the dealer will solve the issue and coming on the board and asking for opinions on the cause, well , it would mean little as you are not going to repair it yourself, most opinions will be all over the place and not really worthwhile just provide you with kind of meaningless info Issues like this I really like to see the owner come on after the diagnosis by the dealer and say this is what happened and this was the cause so that others can be informed when their car is out of warranty and they are looking for an inexpensive solution or an attempt not to be taken by the repair shop over unneeded work. I have a hybrid, the knowledge base on any forum is pretty poor, when we buy a hybrid we are almost 100% stuck with dealer service as few if any independent shops have the equipment or knowledge to deal with purely hybrid issues. If I have one I just drop and off and say deal with it (have not had any as yet though). Just my opinion

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I also agree with you in that a new car with 1280 miles should not have these kind of issues. Hyundai has had 4 years of experience in producing this model vehicle, and yet they still are having problems with the electrical system. Hopefully your dealer will get it taken care of shortly.
These threads may help you a bit with your issue:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/184353-sonata-hybrid-safety-warning-do-not-drive.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/190857-hybrid-wont-start-check-breaks.html

There is a poster named "SBR711" in one of the threads who is a hybrid trained tech who may be able to assist you if you PM him.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
398 Posts
my point above was simply that the car is under warranty, the dealer will solve the issue and coming on the board and asking for opinions on the cause, well , it would mean little as you are not going to repair it yourself, most opinions will be all over the place and not really worthwhile just provide you with kind of meaningless info Issues like this I really like to see the owner come on after the diagnosis by the dealer and say this is what happened and this was the cause so that others can be informed when their car is out of warranty and they are looking for an inexpensive solution or an attempt not to be taken by the repair shop over unneeded work. I have a hybrid, the knowledge base on any forum is pretty poor, when we buy a hybrid we are almost 100% stuck with dealer service as few if any independent shops have the equipment or knowledge to deal with purely hybrid issues. If I have one I just drop and off and say deal with it (have not had any as yet though). Just my opinion
armtdm - I appreciate your point... but many of us use this board to share info on issues with this vehicle and in many cases help the dealer solve the issue or diagnose the problem. Read some of the early posts about the hybrid computer issue, the transmission software update and jerking/bucking issues and even things like the creaking sunroof. We know about the potential fix before most dealers do; just look at how many people can quote the TSB #'s on these boards to newer members. Also, as Vinnyg pointed out... we have a good friend SBR on these boards :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealer replaced the "1196 Electric Oil Pump and reset E/C and Motor/HSG Resolver Calibration." The service tech also said they replaced a sensor for the Transmission Control System however that is not on my receipt. The work was under warranty of course but was listed at $1200 which is kind of scary. I guess everything is fixed now but I must say that I have an eery feeling driving around now that I have had such a major problem in the first 1500 miles.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Parts can fail at any time. Would your rather have had the car for 30k or 40k miles and had the same thing happen? No one wants it to happen... just don't know which would be better.

Just remember... you still have TONS of warranty miles :)

·
Banned
694 Posts
I have an eery feeling driving around now that I have had such a major problem in the first 1500 miles.
Being one of a handful of HSh owners who had the HPCU ($4,000) replaced in the first production run of the 2011 model, I too initally experienced a similar feeling of anxiety.

It went away and we piled on 55,000 more event free miles on the 2011 before trading it.

The HSh remains in the top ten for US hybrid sales selling 1,500 in June; Kia sold about a 1,000 hybrids.
Together the Korean hybrids have been selling between two and three thousand units a month.

June 2014 Dashboard - HybridCars.com

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a problem the first day with my 2013 and was also worried that i had a lemon. They replaced the HEV cooling pump, obviously under warranty, and I haven't had a simple issue since. I broke it at 279 kilometers I think and now have over 25,000 problem free ones!
Love the car!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The only bad thing in these situations is that when a brand new part in a brand new car fails so early on during ownership, it can't help but make the owner and their friends and families feel uneasy about a product. It makes you think that if the new part fails in such a short period of time, how long will the replacement last? I understand that parts can fail and cars are machines, but you just can't help but to have that anxiety. Many of my friends drive Hondas because of the long commute to the city and they routinely get well over 200,000 miles out of them with just the routine oil changes and basic maintenance, and it's because of that reputation that keeps them and their families buying the same product. People coming on this forum and reading some of these negative experiences will certainly get turned off if they were thinking about buying a Hyundai product. Hyundai has to step up their game and quality control and realize that.

·
Registered
398 Posts
In Hyundai's defense, my family and I has/had 3 previous generation sonatas (2X 07's and 1X 08) and 1 previous generation Elantra ('10). Did not have any issues, only work done was regular maintenance; I think combined mileage on the 4 of them is close to 500k mi. One is sold, replaced with a Prius then replaced with a '11 HSH, one was totaled in an accident, was replaced with a 2014 2.0T. The last generation Sonata's were extremely reliable, I hope this generation's will prove to be the same.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The only bad thing in these situations is that when a brand new part in a brand new car fails so early on during ownership, it can't help but make the owner and their friends and families feel uneasy about a product.
You are very right!
I am on my third Hyundai and having the HEV pump throw an error has been one of the few problems I have ever had in over 250,000 kilometers.
Sure I had some suspension parts on my Santa fe replaced under warranty but the Hyundai quality has been as good as anything that Toyota had.

One other point is that you don't hear many complaints here in the HSH forum!
Considering the complexity of the vehicles and the number that have been sold I would figure that the HSH history is pretty good!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I am on my 4th Hyundai now and have not had too many issues overall either. One of my close friends has a 2006 Accord with 220,000 miles and it runs good as new and he also has an a 2007 Santa Fe with 1/3 of that mileage (which is his 2nd Hyundai) and he said he will never purchase another Hyundai product again. The last straw for him was that the harmonic balancer just separated from the pulley and as soon as he mentioned the symptoms he experienced to his mechanic, he instantly knew it was the balancer because he said that happens often on the Santa Fe models. (he was a tech at a Hyundai dealership for a few years) The point being that if Hyundai sees something like this happening often and thus has to pay out warranty claims, not to mention inconvenience the customer, they should redesign the way that part is manufactured and come up with a solid repair. It shouldn't take multiple model years to come up with a solution. Again, I have been relatively lucky with Hyundai products, but have had my share of issues with them, and I think their reputation is much improved from when I drove my '86 Excel.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am having the same experience. The code is P1777. Which is a PCM output problem.
I'm tempted to reset the code. The problem may go away. Then I could drive it to the dealer!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am having the same experience. The code is P1777. Which is a PCM output problem.
I'm tempted to reset the code. The problem may go away. Then I could drive it to the dealer!
Might be worth a try. I used to get the "triangle of death" which was a hybrid warning light on the prius a few times a year. I bought a scan tool and reset it myself. It always went away and stayed away for months if not years. I found it was a random event that really had no issues related to it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts