Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's very cold here today,

I was leaving for work, tried to start the car. The ICE engine wont start. I don't even hear the starter, nothing.

And after abour 30 seconds I got a message saying there is a problem with the hybrid system.

I don't remember the exact message though....

I am on the phone right now with the road assistance.
I'ven been waiting for about 30 minutes.
I will need my car to be towed. I hope I get get a loaner for the holiday!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's very cold here today,

I was leaving for work, tried to start the car. The ICE engine wont start. I don't even hear the starter, nothing.

And after abour 30 seconds I got a message saying there is a problem with the hybrid system.

I don't remember the exact message though....

I am on the phone right now with the road assistance.
I'ven been waiting for about 30 minutes.
I will need my car to be towed. I hope I get get a loaner for the holiday!
Hope it gets sorted out. What year and model? Mileage as well if you do not mind me asking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bummer. Be aware that hybrid system rely on the 12V lead acid battery to enable the electronics system to start the car. This is not the high voltage traction battery. -40 is very cold. I hope you are ok. Batteries failure is common at extreme cold temperatures and they use cheap batteries on new cars. Hope it is just that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I waited 50 minutes to get the line. Now I'm just waiting for the towing.

My Sonata is a 2017 with 22000 km (about 15000) miles.
I bought it last may.

I used to own a 2015 before that i had for 2 year, I traded it for a 2017 because it was not reliable

·
Registered
555 Posts
Trivia question: What's colder, -40 Fahrenheit or -40 Celsius?

Since you've already googled it, they are the same. That's the crossover point on the chart.

Trivia question: What is the freezing point of Jet A, the jet fuel used throughout the world? (it actually turns to a sludge initially.)

You guessed it! -40 again.

When jets get to areas approaching those temperatures on the ground, the fueling facilities will switch to Jet A-1 which has a freezing temperature or -47 C/-53 F. The fuel doesn't get anywhere near that cold in flight because the primary fuel tanks are the interior of the wings and frictional heating from the air movement across the wings raises the fuel temperature. There also are fuel heaters on some aircraft.

So what temperature does gasoline freeze at? Like jet fuel, it's a blend so it depends on the blend being used. I could not find any hard and fast numbers but the warmest seemed to be around -40 again. I would suspect that is not the poster's problem since he probably lives in an area where the gasoline has been reformulated for a lower freezing temperature.

YvonGravel, does your car have a block heater?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trivia question: What's colder, -40 Fahrenheit or -40 Celsius?

Since you've already googled it, they are the same. That's the crossover point on the chart.

YvonGravel, does your car have a block heater?
That's why I didn't specify if it was in Celius or Fahrenheit :smile:

No I don't have a block eater.

Hyundai left a message on my voice mail this morning and my car is ready.

I will know soon what the problem was.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just called my garage,
they left in the garage for the night and this morning everything work fine.
They don't even have an error code.
The think the fuel might have freeze.
It never happened to me in 30 years of driving!

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's why I didn't specify if it was in Celsius or Fahrenheit :smile:
Nice! Thanks for the laugh.

I take it your car is left outside overnight? Mine is in the attached garage so it never gets as cold as the outside temps due to heat leakage.

My daughter's third-party remote start also has a feature where it will start the car and run it for fifteen minutes when the outside temp gets below like -10 F. It's off by default in case the car is in a garage. I think it starts the car every four hours in that case.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are intrinsic cold weather limitations to Li-ion batteries. You can't charge below 32F, or discharge below 0F (actually, you lose high-load capacity but retain low-load capacity). Every hybrid deals with it. It's one reason to retain a lead-acid 12V battery... you're no worse off than any conventional car in the cold.

That link is a marketing piece:
"if Hyundai’s hybrid handles just fine in the seemingly impossible cold of the arctic circle"

That should say IF, because that's a really big "if," and they only imply the answer.

Have fun,
Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts