Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Sonata Hybrid two weeks ago. Car has just over 1500 miles. I was in the fast lane doing 75 mph when the car shut down and said HYBRID SYSTEM FAILURE - Stop - Do Not Drive. We were towed 30 miles to the dealership. Any ideas what this could be? Do these types of things occur frequently with the hybrids.

TIA

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have own the 2013 HSH since the spring
i haven't face a problem like this
what did the dealership told you about?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
:00000732:

I was waiting for more replies but this is defenetly not common on the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (HSH). I think we have only had one member with a Hybrid System Failure that couldn't be fixed. Hope it's something that can be fixed so you can enjoy your car like the rest of us. Keep us informed on your status.

·
Registered
748 Posts
maybe an electronic coolant or oil pump fault? although I doubt it would kill it completely. maybe a limp home mode..

need to get it scanned for codes and go from there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Sonata Hybrid two weeks ago. Car has just over 1500 miles. I was in the fast lane doing 75 mph when the car shut down and said HYBRID SYSTEM FAILURE - Stop - Do Not Drive. We were towed 30 miles to the dealership. Any ideas what this could be? Do these types of things occur frequently with the hybrids.

TIA
HCU actually controls PCM, correct me if im wrong SBR, so if there is a drivability fault in HCU that puppy better find the shoulder. Have rare occurrences as far as I know but others have had issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2012 Sonata Hybrid

I have a 2012 HSH and have had nothing but problems. Two weeks ago the same thing happened to my car and it was also towed to the dealership. They said it could either be the transmission pump or the computer that controls the system. They haven't fixed the issue yet, so I will post an update once I know what caused the hybrid system failure.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
It probably never got this update that curred a lot problems. Have them print out a history record of all the updates performed.

ECU Update

Every 2011-2012 should get it but you have to complain about hesitation and jerky behavior when the engine is cold. It is a free update that any Hyundai service can perform but some dealers will balk at giving it unless they can duplicate the problem.. It will give you much better performance and many better mpg. You can tell if it has the update by driving after it has warmed up and put it in Neutral and if the energy flow shows the ICE running and charging the battery then it has been applied. Prior to the update if you put it in N the display wouldn't show any energy flow.

13-FL-004
HEV MULTI-ECU UPDATE – VERSION 2

Description:
This bulletin provides information related to a software update of the following controllers:ECM/TCM/HCU/MCU/AHB/OPU by GDS Event#302, and BMS by Event#303.
This ECU Update will refine vehicle drivability, HEV transaxle shifts, and cruise control.
Applicable Vehicles: 2011-2012MY SONATA (YF) 2.4L Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV)

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162191-new-multi-ecu-update.html

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
After 11 days at the dealership for this same reason, service found the transmission oil pump to be the cause.
I noticed you recently posted this thread in the "performance" forum and I for one am curious what the outcome will be regarding your seized engine and I am sure others here are interested in the outcome as well. The way you described it sounds like you threw a rod which would be the cause of the oil under the car right after hearing the "clunk". The transmission pump problem you had repaired should have nothing to do with the engine seizing and I would bet since you just had the oil changed recently, that they either didn't fill it properly or didn't tighten the drain plug and you were very low on oil thus not allowing the sump to pick up oil to properly lubricate the bearings which would cause you to throw a rod. Please keep us informed on how this works out for you on this forum.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/performance/346833-2012-sonata-hybrid-engine-seized-%40-38-000-miles.html

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just experienced a total failure of the hybrid system at 33,000 miles. The garage contacted the national Hyundai rep for advice. He suggested changing the transmission pump. That was the cause. It's a $300-$400 item that can be changed from the topside. I seem to have new bolts just under the air breather section. My OBD11 reader gave me only a code of P1777.
Fixed on the 5 year powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It probably never got this update that curred a lot problems. Have them print out a history record of all the updates performed.

ECU Update

Every 2011-2012 should get it but you have to complain about hesitation and jerky behavior when the engine is cold. It is a free update that any Hyundai service can perform but some dealers will balk at giving it unless they can duplicate the problem.. It will give you much better performance and many better mpg. You can tell if it has the update by driving after it has warmed up and put it in Neutral and if the energy flow shows the ICE running and charging the battery then it has been applied. Prior to the update if you put it in N the display wouldn't show any energy flow.

13-FL-004
HEV MULTI-ECU UPDATE – VERSION 2

Description:
This bulletin provides information related to a software update of the following controllers:ECM/TCM/HCU/MCU/AHB/OPU by GDS Event#302, and BMS by Event#303.
This ECU Update will refine vehicle drivability, HEV transaxle shifts, and cruise control.
Applicable Vehicles: 2011-2012MY SONATA (YF) 2.4L Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV)

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/162191-new-multi-ecu-update.html
Tom, trying to ascertain if this update was done on my 2012 since I am the 2nd owner. Mine doesn't have a nav screen, so is the ICE charging the battery also indicated on the energy flow screen in the gauge cluster?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Tom, trying to ascertain if this update was done on my 2012 since I am the 2nd owner. Mine doesn't have a nav screen, so is the ICE charging the battery also indicated on the energy flow screen in the gauge cluster?
While driving after 5 minutes throw it into neutral and your energy screen looks like this you haven't had the update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai Owner

We own a hyundai sonata 2013 and experienced this problem over the weekend: the car shut down and said HYBRID SYSTEM FAILURE - Stop - Do Not Drive. Had to have the car towed and is being looked at today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi GD66,

It's been a couple years for you, but it just happened to me today. What was the issue? Do you remember the solution?

Hyundai Owner

We own a hyundai sonata 2013 and experienced this problem over the weekend: the car shut down and said HYBRID SYSTEM FAILURE - Stop - Do Not Drive. Had to have the car towed and is being looked at today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts