Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm not up to 110K miles with the original belt. I called the dealer to get a price on brakes so I also asked for a quote to get the belt and tensioner replaced. I was just going to do the belt but with the mileage and people saying the tensioner can fair, I thought it would be best to have that done too. The person I spoke with said there are two tensioners. One is $250 and the other is $390. He went on to say there is another part # for the bracket and two tensioners combined. It ends up being cheaper than just buying one of them. Most likely the expensive one. He said it would be $780 to replace both with the belt. I pulled up some info. I found that with a retail of $350 and I can get it online for about $215. Add $50 for the belt. I'll have to take a look at that quote.

·
Registered
7 Posts
He said it would be $780 to replace both with the belt. I pulled up some info. I found that with a retail of $350 and I can get it online for about $215. Add $50 for the belt.
I just got an inspection done on my 2013 and was told “the belt specific to hybrids that starts the car needs to be replaced because it’s in the yellow”. She then quoted over $800 for parts and labor to replace the “starting belts”. Is there more than one belt? From this thread it seems like there is one belt and two tensioners. I called another dealership and they said replacing the starter-generator belt is $220. Which seems more normal. Would buying the parts myself help at all if I do end up needing the tensioners?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just got an inspection done on my 2013 and was told “the belt specific to hybrids that starts the car needs to be replaced because it’s in the yellow”. She then quoted over $800 for parts and labor to replace the “starting belts”. Is there more than one belt? From this thread it seems like there is one belt and two tensioners. I called another dealership and they said replacing the starter-generator belt is $220. Which seems more normal. Would buying the parts myself help at all if I do end up needing the tensioners?
I'm wondering what I should do with mine. Are the tensioners really needed? Some fail and some don't. I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on what they told you after the inspection. I used to have the dealer do my oil changes. Of course they would inspect various things then show me a report. I had tires gain thread depth between oil changes when I never changed them. Also had a filter going from needing to be replaced to being in the green. I didn't touch that either. I showed those reports to the service manager. He didn't know what to say.

Reactions: JKK

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
How many miles are on your vehicle? They recommend changing the belts at 60,000 miles. I bought them myself for $65 and my mechanic friend charged $40 to install them with my assistance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How many miles are on your vehicle? They recommend changing the belts at 60,000 miles. I bought them myself for $65 and my mechanic friend charged $40 to install them with my assistance.
Where’d you get them for $65? I’m about to hit 100k pretty soon, so I’m sure something needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting. Is there anyone I can trust to see how the belts/tensioners actually are? This dealership loves to quote over the top prices and I’m sure it ain’t no stretch to think they can pull a fast one on a woman.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Where’d you get them for $65? I’m about to hit 100k pretty soon, so I’m sure something needs to be replaced.
Mine is a 2011 model so the belts may be different from your 2013, but check this thread out, page 2, post #35 to see the belt numbers I used. The Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima hybrid use the same exact drivetrains and usually the Kia prices are cheaper for the same exact parts. Avoid the dealer for simple things like this belt change, as they are always trying to rip you off and upsell service for their commission. Try to find an independent shop if possible:
Here are the belts you need:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Interesting. Is there anyone I can trust to see how the belts/tensioners actually are? This dealership loves to quote over the top prices and I’m sure it ain’t no stretch to think they can pull a fast one on a woman.
My tensioners were fine at 60,000 miles and still are fine with over 9 years and well over 100,000 miles on them. No need to change them if they still are working properly, but mechanic will know better once he/she moves them to get the belt off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is a 2011 model so the belts may be different from your 2013, but check this thread out, page 2, post #35 to see the belt numbers I used. The Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima hybrid use the same exact drivetrains and usually the Kia prices are cheaper for the same exact parts. Avoid the dealer for simple things like this belt change, as they are always trying to rip you off and upsell service for their commission. Try to find an independent shop if possible:
Here are the belts you need:
Thank you! I will definitely look into the parts because it looks like I do need both tensioners in addition to the starter belt. But I’m getting another inspection done in the meantime.
Apparently when I purchased the car, it was at 70k miles and had never gotten a tuneup. So the recommended 60k mile tuneup is apparently necessary now. I don’t have to go to a Hyundai dealership to get the transmission and brake fluids purged and filled, right? A different dealership wants $410 to do both.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thank you! I will definitely look into the parts because it looks like I do need both tensioners in addition to the starter belt. But I’m getting another inspection done in the meantime.
Apparently when I purchased the car, it was at 70k miles and had never gotten a tuneup. So the recommended 60k mile tuneup is apparently necessary now. I don’t have to go to a Hyundai dealership to get the transmission and brake fluids purged and filled, right? A different dealership wants $410 to do both.
Just a question- what makes you feel that you need both tensioners replaced? Was it based off of the dealership's recommendation, or are you hearing noise or something else that convinces you that you need them replaced? You absolutely have no requirement to go to the Hyundai dealership at all for any work, but of course any recalls or warranty work should be done by them at no cost to you. The best bet is to establish a relationship with a recommended local private shop instead of a commission driven dealership or chain type of repair shop.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts