Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that is a district service manager so I asked if he could check to see how much I should pay to have it done. He spoke with one of his dealers and gave me a price of $160.00 for parts and labor. That is for 2 belts installed. .7 hours for labor.

I searched through a few threads before posting this. One person paid $227. while someone else has a wallet that is over $400 lighter.

How much did you pay to have your HSG belt replaced?

Reactions: phftw

·
Registered
470 Posts
Additionally, would like to hear from anyone who has completed the belt changes themselves? I doubt the belt itself is too expensive and the price differences are about labor and other money making activities. 0.7 hours sounds pretty easy to do?

·
Registered
400 Posts
All, thanks for reviving that old thread... I never did change my 2011's belts (from old thread) I sold it at 100k with no belt issues.
Now my 2015 is reaching 60k! The step by step is great I can use it with the belts I bought for my 2011! I assume no change?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had both belts replaced on my 2014 HSH recently (~66,000 miles) by a local mechanic for $270. They bought the factory belts from Hyundai. My Local Hyundai dealer quoted me $400.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to call a few Hyundai dealers in my area. I'll post what I get for quotes. I'll tell them the quote I have and ask if they can match it. I'll probably be taking a ride if there is to much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
$105 total for me. $65 for OEM Kia belts and $40 for labor.

Reactions: JKK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is replacing the Hybrid Starter Generator (HSG) a DIY project? The bearing on my HSG is failing and eating the serpentine belt once a month. I replaced both belt tensioners first since the upper one was obviously bad and that fixed the squealing noise temporarily but the problem returned. There is resistance when turning the HSG pulley with the belt off which I have been told by a Hyundai service manager means the bearing is failing since it should spin easily when rotated.

My Hyundai dealer wants $1400 for a new HSG plus installation. This car is nickel and diming me to death!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
marked for later reply

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
DIY HSG,, to an extent "yes"...

The part you need to be aware of is that big 277V orange cable that plug into HSG.. Hybrid need to be dis-abled, and wait for capacitor to bleed down to 0-5V

Not much harder than alternator replace, other than it bigger and heavier..

Drain inverter cooling system, as coolant pass HSG for cooling (seperate system from engine cooling)

After HSG replaced, it will need HSG "Resolver" calibration (need GDS to do this),,, and need GDS to run "electric water pump" to bleed - fill inverter cooling system, runs 3 minute cycle, I normally do (2) cycle)

Reactions: sandan and phftw

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I have a friend that is a district service manager so I asked if he could check to see how much I should pay to have it done. He spoke with one of his dealers and gave me a price of $160.00 for parts and labor. That is for 2 belts installed. .7 hours for labor.

I searched through a few threads before posting this. One person paid $227. while someone else has a wallet that is over $400 lighter.

How much did you pay to have your HSG belt replaced?
Not hard just be sure to follow the directions of allowing the high voltage system to be drained. If you don't it could KILL you.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I'll assume you are over 100K, isn't that what the "hybrid system" is warranted for ? I have check into the belt thing. There are a few belt removers/installers for these ribbed belts. They go on the front pulley and just turn the pulley. Maybe that's were the $40 labor price came from.

Unless you did a LOT of car work and know how to handle very powerful batteries. I would find someone, besides the dealer, that can replace it safely. There are plenty of hybrid cars around... gotta have the same alt/starters system. Finding a refurbished alt/gen would be problem.

The tool, I have seen a few different types.
ht tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k481CrynPQ8 copy and remove space in https

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Found this.. the links don't work.

ht tps://www.justanswer.com/hyundai/afu97-2015-sonata-hybrid-limited-bearing-going-bad-hybrid.html copy and remove space.

Anyone check out the "belt conditioners" they sell to extend the belt life ?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Where there is money to be made...

ht tps://www.priushybridrepair.com remove https space.

Additionally, we repair failed Combination Meters, the Inverter/Converter, and the Inverter coolant pump and they work on other hybrid cars.

Seem to be in North East. If there is one.. there are others.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The directions at link have you taking WAY TOO MUCH stuff apart...

Pete says he Hyundai,, dont think so when he says "My info isnt telling me how this is done but it looks like this has to be done with a dealers scan tool plugged into your vehicles data port to perform this procedure from what I can tell here"

I already done told you what need to be done..

BTW,, there is (3) bolt that hold HSG to the mounting bracket

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hello - in reading through this thread, I have a question. OP question dealt with belt replacement cost. I thought I had read elsewhere that at the 60k service interval both the belts and tensioners needed to be replaced. Please clarify.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hello - in reading through this thread, I have a question. OP question dealt with belt replacement cost. I thought I had read elsewhere that at the 60k service interval both the belts and tensioners needed to be replaced. Please clarify.
If I recall,, the tensioner for HSG belt total out around $350, add 2 belt and labor,, rough guess of $500 belt set replacement..

Arleady dealt with a number of YF Hybrid that the tensioner arm bushing fail (about 2 sheet of paper thick babbit looking material),, no support in my opinion for load handled..

Had a HSG where pulley broke loose from shaft, ruined the HSG shaft..

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not hard just be sure to follow the directions of allowing the high voltage system to be drained. If you don't it could KILL you.
I'll pass on that :smile: I can do a supercharger install in my sleep but rather not work with a high voltage system that I don't have any experience with. Touching the wrong thing could result in a very bad day.

If I recall,, the tensioner for HSG belt total out around $350, add 2 belt and labor,, rough guess of $500 belt set replacement..

Arleady dealt with a number of YF Hybrid that the tensioner arm bushing fail (about 2 sheet of paper thick babbit looking material),, no support in my opinion for load handled..

Had a HSG where pulley broke loose from shaft, ruined the HSG shaft..
I'm coming up on 80K miles. Still have the original belts and tensioner. I've decided to keep the car for a couple more years so I'm going to at least have the belts replaced the next time I have the oil change. I'm guessing I'll be rolling the dice if I don't do the tensioner too?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts