Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife's 2012 Sonata Hybrid displayed a "Hybrid Battery Low, Please Put in Park" warning sign this morning.

This has never happened, but as of the last 3 months we rarely drive the car. She drives it maybe a total of 4 miles a week. (a bonus living within walking distance of her work). Could this be due to lack of driving? I'm thinking that she simply doesn't drive it enough to charge the battery.

Any experience thoughts with this type of issue?

·
Registered
258 Posts
My wife's 2012 Sonata Hybrid displayed a "Hybrid Battery Low, Please Put in Park" warning sign this morning.

This has never happened, but as of the last 3 months we rarely drive the car. She drives it maybe a total of 4 miles a week. (a bonus living within walking distance of her work). Could this be due to lack of driving? I'm thinking that she simply doesn't drive it enough to charge the battery.

Any experience thoughts with this type of issue?
Hmm that's the first time I've heard of this! It could very well be the fact that it isn't driven enough. During low speed / local driving scenarios the car is designed to drain the Hybrid battery to as low as it can get to.

Recommend driving with Sports mode on and manually maintaining battery at around 50% at least one time each week.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hmm that's the first time I've heard of this! It could very well be the fact that it isn't driven enough. During low speed / local driving scenarios the car is designed to drain the Hybrid battery to as low as it can get to.

Recommend driving with Sports mode on and manually maintaining battery at around 50% at least one time each week.
The 2012 doesn't have a Sport mode. I suspect it is likely the car not being driven enough though it likely wouldn't hurt to take it to the dealer and having the battery checked out (assuming they will do it under the 10 yr hybrid warranty).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts