Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

First post and first time hybrid car driver

I picked up a 16 Sonata Hybrid ultimate about a month ago. Low mileage and still under warranty.

I have noticed that when I park it in my garage overnight that the HEV charge indicator has dropped a bar or two?

Is this normal?

Or is something leeching from the battery while parked?

It is winter up here in the northeast but honestly not too cold and the car never sits outside.

Would cool temps case some discharge overnight?

Anyone else notice a difference in charge level when starting it up in the morning ?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've never paid that close attention to it and I've had mine just under four years. Where is it sitting in the morning? The normal range is about 1/4 to just under 1/2.

If the hybrid battery drops to 15% of charge, I think it is, the car will not start no matter what you do and a dealer needs to charge the hybrid battery and reset something in one of the dozen and a half computers. You have a 10-year warranty on the hybrid battery as the second owner, at least in the USA, so I wouldn't worry about it unless it's consistently getting to or below 1/4 or dropping a lot.

If the battery drops to three bars while driving, such as being stuck in traffic, the engine will start and bring the charge up a bit. If you are getting a bit anxious about the state of charge you can switch to Sport mode for a short while. That changes the battery charge controller and the hybrid battery will charge all the way to 100% in three or four miles. That is actually a bad thing for its longevity, though. Additionally, you want a good uncharged margin for the regenerative braking to work. If you stay in Sport mode all the time then the charging current from regenerative braking has nowhere to go and your braking effectiveness can be decreased.

But if you know you have a long, high hill coming up you could switch to Sport mode right before to bring the state of charge up. I think the Ioniq does that automatically by using the altitude reading from its built-in GPS.

Definitely not your grandfather's car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never paid that close attention to it and I've had mine just under four years. Where is it sitting in the morning? The normal range is about 1/4 to just under 1/2.

If the hybrid battery drops to 15% of charge, I think it is, the car will not start no matter what you do and a dealer needs to charge the hybrid battery and reset something in one of the dozen and a half computers. You have a 10-year warranty on the hybrid battery as the second owner, at least in the USA, so I wouldn't worry about it unless it's consistently getting to or below 1/4 or dropping a lot.

If the battery drops to three bars while driving, such as being stuck in traffic, the engine will start and bring the charge up a bit. If you are getting a bit anxious about the state of charge you can switch to Sport mode for a short while. That changes the battery charge controller and the hybrid battery will charge all the way to 100% in three or four miles. That is actually a bad thing for its longevity, though. Additionally, you want a good uncharged margin for the regenerative braking to work. If you stay in Sport mode all the time then the charging current from regenerative braking has nowhere to go and your braking effectiveness can be decreased.

But if you know you have a long, high hill coming up you could switch to Sport mode right before to bring the state of charge up. I think the Ioniq does that automatically by using the altitude reading from its built-in GPS.

Definitely not your grandfather's car.
its never that close to depleted
i just happen to notice a bit of a drop

i always have it in my garage which is attached to my house
a typical charge level when i park it for the last time is around 1/2 to a bit higher
then when i wake up in the morning to start the car i notice it has dropped a tick or 2
so over the course of the 10 or so hours sitting in the garage overnight, something is drawing a bit from the battery i think?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Possibly. Most things wired hot would be to the little 12 V battery on the passenger side of the trunk, I'd think, because the hybrid battery is just over two hundred volts. That little one one powers up the computers so the car can do its thing. If it's dead you're not going anywhere but at least it can be jumped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts