Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car at my local dealership (Rick Case Hyandai - Plantation, FL) for some brake work under warranty (2012 model - extended warranty purchase) dealership called to tell me brake work completed but my vehicles 12v battery had died while at their workshop. The battery was original - some 5 years old so no great surprise in-away although it showed no signs of failing when I drove it over there some 4 hours earlier. I know the battery was around $320 so imagine my surprise when I was billed $420 for the replacement - yes, $100 for labor, taxes, and shop fees... Why do dealerships rip their clients off like this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anytime I go to a dealership I have them take full responsibility for anything that's gone wrong while in their possession. With my old hybrid, I took it to the dealership for are recall, ended up getting it back with a check hybrid system warning. I refused to leave, they eventually settled on calling Lexus corporate to get the whole battery replaced. You stand your ground because as far as you know, the battery was healthy when you dropped it off

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
Dealerships rip their clients off like that because the client lets them. $320 for a battery that any aftermarket auto parts store would have sold for under $200, then you install it yourself for free. Save yourself $220. But of course it's also easier to let them do all the work while they have the car, it makes life easier. You pay for convenience.

I seriously doubt the battery "died" while it was there. They probably tested it and it had low ratings so they said it was dead and needed to be replaced. I would have asked to see the battery test print out.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Same for a Prius 12 V and no one else carried it so dealer was the only option, Not sure if Hyundai battery for hybrid 12v is carried in AA or AZ etc. Cost of the Toyota was over $200 for battery. So check around to see if dealer was the only option or other outlets available and what the cost would be. NAPA could get us the Prius battery but the cost was the same as the dealer and no installation.

My Lincoln Hyvrid 12v can be had anywhere and cost 120

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I would have just had them jump it. Most likely recharged and you could have saved yourself $200 by going elsewhere.

The battery is available, just depends if you can wait a day or two as most stores don't carry it in stock.

Ask what the charge is next time. This forum has discussed the life and very over charged price of the battery. It's in the trunk, a 15 min exchange for goodness sakes. Maybe they charged for the reset of any devices when the battery is pulled (windows, sunroof, clock, ....)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I dont like cars that show up for computer work and battery dont last al of 10 minute with key on while you scan and do random GDS tests or updates to modules, then go to start car and "CLICK - CLICK - CLICK",, or dash go black when turn key to start... who fault is that ??

Most time I just and drive around block.. then park it

OE battery after 3yr is total crap shoot with OE Hyundai battery..

Checked our price guide for battery (12V) replacement..

00275-19000 INTERSTATE BATTERY
| |
| PARTS: $ 311.89 |
| LABOR: $ 38.00 |
| SHOP SUPPLIES: $ 3.04 |
| TAX: $ 25.59 |
| ================ |
| TOTAL: $ 378.52

Reactions: phftw

·
Registered
475 Posts
I dont like cars that show up for computer work and battery dont last al of 10 minute with key on while you scan and do random GDS tests or updates to modules, then go to start car and "CLICK - CLICK - CLICK",, or dash go black when turn key to start... who fault is that ??

Most time I just and drive around block.. then park it

OE battery after 3yr is total crap shoot with OE Hyundai battery..

Checked our price guide for battery (12V) replacement..

00275-19000 INTERSTATE BATTERY
| |
| PARTS: $ 311.89 |
| LABOR: $ 38.00 |
| SHOP SUPPLIES: $ 3.04 |
| TAX: $ 25.59 |
| ================ |
| TOTAL: $ 378.52
Good information and analysis. Maybe HMA needs a difference source on this.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Had my car at my local dealership (Rick Case Hyandai - Plantation, FL) for some brake work under warranty (2012 model - extended warranty purchase) dealership called to tell me brake work completed but my vehicles 12v battery had died while at their workshop. The battery was original - some 5 years old so no great surprise in-away although it showed no signs of failing when I drove it over there some 4 hours earlier. I know the battery was around $320 so imagine my surprise when I was billed $420 for the replacement - yes, $100 for labor, taxes, and shop fees... Why do dealerships rip their clients off like this?
You could have bought an exact duplicate battery for $127 out the door.
You should contact the dealer and complain about the ridiculous fee they charged to install that battery too.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/595921-found-12v-battery.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts