Hyundai Forums banner

HVAC turns on with sunroof

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  engagepy 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this before, but has anyone else noticed how the front vents turn on when the sunroof is on vent or open, even with the HVAC off? I had my sunroof vented on my way to work this morning and felt it. I thought maybe it was negative pressure pulling air in towards the dash and I was simply feeling it blow back, but that wasn't the case, as I could close the vents and the air would stop. It did the same thing with the sunroof all the way opened as well. It seems to be speed based also, as the slower I went the lower the air blew, all the way down to stopping entirely at a complete stop. Interesting.

#2 ·
Air flowing over the open roof creates a suction. It sucks the air through the fresh air intake and out the vents. The blower is not running. Of course, closing the vents prevents the airflow. This is not a "Hyundai" thing. All the cars that I have had with moon/sun roofs have done this.

#4 ·
HTML:

Can verify this, 2017 Limited is the fifth car with a sunroof, or is this a moonroof, can never get this straight.

Let's learn what the owner manual says on this subject.

"Automatic Ventilation
(if equipped)
When the ignition switch is in the ON
position or when the engine is running
and temperature is below 59°F
(15°C) with the recirculated air position
selected more than five minutes,
the air intake position will automatically
change to the outside (fresh) air
position.
To cancel or reset the Automatic
Ventilation
When the air conditioning system is
on, select Face Level mode and
while pressing the A/C button, press
the recirculated air position button
five times within three seconds.
Sunroof Inside Air
Recirculation (if equipped)
When the heater or air conditioning
system is on with the sunroof
opened, the outside (fresh) air position
will be automatically selected. At
this time, if you press the recirculated
air position button, the recirculated
air position will be selected but will
change back to the outside (fresh) air
position after 3 minutes.
When the sunroof is closed, the air
intake position will return to the original
position that was selected."

So resetting of the MVAC controls when the sunroof is opened is normal.

#5 ·
Here's something interesting: I don't have a sunroof, but I do have auto climate control and use Apple CarPlay. I noticed yesterday that when Siri is reading text to me, and the fan is on high speed (like when I just started the vehicle on a hot day), the fan speed is turned down while she is reading the text, then when she's done talking, the fan is returned to the speed it was on. Pretty cool.

Reactions: Tooch2422