Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed that the blower will randomly turn itself on and I have to keep pushing the off button..it's like I'm having a showdown with the HVAC controls. I can recreate the problem if I lightly tap the blower switch knob and I also noticed that the blower speed pointer light will flicker when I do that almost as if there's a loose connection inside the unit or it's slowing failing.

I've researched and found that the module for the manual controls has been discontinued by Hyundai so I may be forced to replace with a used part if the cannot be taken apart and repaired.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never had this problem with having to cut it off repeatedly until just now lol. Phone fell off dash and hit fan knob. It was between speeds and I clicked it over and it stays off now.

I've read that moving the knob, kinda like a joystick, a bit can help it make contact with the circuit board. I researched some hvac controls problems when my speed selector would get stuck and sometimes wouldn't turn on. That problem was a resistor (blower motor?) according to my mechanic.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found this while searching through Google...

"I repaired it shortly after I posted the question. Will likely happen again but it’s been 6 mos and it has been stable. I removed the heater/AC control panel and took it apart. Cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip. It looked like the metal arm that makes contact with the board when you turn the control knob, rubs off the copper “film” on the board after a lot of use and also leaves behind a black residue which prevents the signal from making it to the blower motor. I added a thin coating of circuit board lubricant and put it back together. I actually cleaned any dust and debris that I could see from the transistors and components on the back of the circuit board as well for good measure. Works fine now but you do need to disconnect and reconnect the blower motor when your reinstall the control panel to reset it before it will start working again when you’re done."

Maybe I'll pull everything apart and clean the contacts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
on mine i can just leave the fan speed halfway or higher and it does'nt turn itself back on. been like that for 3 or 4 years now. i know the problem is still there because my wife keeps turning the fan speed down to 1 or 2 and the ghost that turns the heater or ac back on comes back.if you're going in for the repair you should use dash trim removal tools and there's a video on youtube about replacing a car stereo where the guys goes into dept on removing that long piece. a while ago i checked ebay for used contollers and there were lots for 45 and 50 bucks. my guess is they're all pretty much wore out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've have the gremlin too. Usually I turn the fan knob to it lowest setting and it'll listen, any higher a setting and I press off till it works. Occasionally it'll fire up but hasn't been that big a deal for myself.

Bigger deal is the fan motor keeps surging once the desired temp is reached.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts