Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2009 AWD Santa Fe with the 3.3L engine. It has the all manual HVAC controls.
The issue I am having is the blower is always on high, no matter what setting I have it set at. It does turn on when I hit the off button. I have already tried swapping the blower resistor, and this had no change. I have a different hvac control panel on the way, in thinking that it must be the control switch itself that has gone bad. The switch felt fine, and showed no indication that it was starting to go bad, which is why I did the resistor first. My question is, is there anything else I should be checking? I have tried to do research and as far as I can tell, it could only be on of two things...the control switch or resistor. Am I missing anything else?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,324 Posts
My question is, is there anything else I should be checking?
There should be a relay just behind the blower motor. That relay is what makes the blower operate at full speed, not the resistor.
Try unplugging the relay and see what effect that has on the blower speed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I replaced the HVAC control panel and it made no difference. Still the blower is on high only, unless switched to off.

There should be a relay just behind the blower motor. That relay is what makes the blower operate at full speed, not the resistor.
Try unplugging the relay and see what effect that has on the blower speed.
I have looked hard for a relay, but have found nothing. Any chance you have a pic of the location? Or even a pic/part number of the relay so I can see what I am looking for?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the help. I saw this pic online when looking. Mine has nothing there. The Power transistor is there (what I called the resistor which I replaced), the 4wd ECM, but there is just a blank bracket where that resistor is supposed to be. No lose connector either.

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
That's odd. I guess the heater works different on your side of the pond for some reason.

Does the blower still run at full speed when the resistor/transistor is disconnected?
If so, check to see if there is a wire on terminal 12 of your HVAC control panel harness connector. Terminal 12 is the wire that controls the high speed relay. If there is a wire on the connector there must be a relay somewhere.

HVAC control panel harness connector
Viewed From Terminal Side.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's odd. I guess the heater works different on your side of the pond for some reason.

Does the blower still run at full speed when the resistor/transistor is disconnected?
If so, check to see if there is a wire on terminal 12 of your HVAC control panel harness connector. Terminal 12 is the wire that controls the high speed relay. If there is a wire on the connector there must be a relay somewhere.

HVAC control panel harness connector
Viewed From Terminal Side.

I am pretty sure when I tried it with the resistor disconnected it made no difference. I can verify that again tonight though. I will check that pin on the HVAC control panel harness. Luckily pulling the trim off isnt that much work. How many wires should be going to that relay? I took the glove box out and saw something on the right side that had quite a few wires running to it...although it wasn't very easy to get at.

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
There will be four wires on the relay. A heavy black, heavy pink, an orange and a blue/black. Well, that's what's on the European models anyway.

Here's the section of the diagram showing the blower fan circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There will be four wires on the relay. A heavy black, heavy pink, an orange and a blue/black. Well, that's what's on the European models anyway.

Here's the section of the diagram showing the blower fan circuit.

Alright. I'll check it out. Thanks again for your help. Based on that diagram, doesn't seem like a bad fuse could be causing this problem. I am pretty sure I checked all fuses that related to it, but was starting to second guess myself.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Basic solid state electronics classes were nearly a half century ago but I'd say either stuck relay contacts or a transistor shorted collector to emitter.

·
Registered
15,324 Posts
Basic solid state electronics classes were nearly a half century ago but I'd say either stuck relay contacts or a transistor shorted collector to emitter.
Yeah, I agree although the OP has replaced the transistor and thinks the fault was still present even with the transistor disconnected which kinda points more to the relay that isn't there.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Yeah, I agree although the OP has replaced the transistor and thinks the fault was still present even with the transistor disconnected which kinda points more to the relay that isn't there.
Indeed. My confusion came between REsistor (which all cars had years ago) and TRANSistor, which our cars now have for fan speed control.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Time to update this thread. I left this problem alone for a long time, as I had a newborn at home and not much time to work on a minor inconvenience such as this. Finally got frustrated on my way to work today and decided to dig back into it.

Turns out I am an idiot. I forgot that this problem started right when I was trying to troubleshoot the a/c not working. The a/c ended up just needing to be recharged, but in the process I checked that all the fuses were good, which they were.

I guess in the process of checking fuses, I checked a/con 1 fuse in the interior fuse panel. It looked good so I put it back. Turns out I put it back in the wrong place. Not sure how that happened, maybe I was looking at the panel diagram the wrong way at the time. Either way, I was checking fuses again this morning to just give myself some piece of mind, when I realized there was no fuse in a/con 1 spot. Moved a 10 amp back into that spot and I have full control back. I would have thought more things would have been effected than just speed control with that missing fuse, but I guess not. Everything else worked.

Anyways, it is all better and I am happy it was an easy fix. Moral of the story, doesn't hurt to double or triple check things. Thanks for your suggestions and help. Sorry I am dumb...haha.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
There's a lot to be said for admitting a mistake. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. We've all done it.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts