Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So there are many curious members who are wondering if there Santa Fe Sport is equipped with a flasher module, which would need to be switched out when upgrading to LED bulbs for turn signals [... that is, if you're not wanting to splice resistors into the factory wiring]

Being super curious on the topic I stopped by the dealership on my way home from the office even though I have an oil change appt next Tuesday.

The Parts Manager believes that the SFS has a flasher module, but has never had to do any service on one as of yet. When searching the computer nothing came up - but him, and the Service Manager are sure its located under the steering column cover - claiming that's where they've been located on Hyundai vehicles after 2012/13.

Intrigued, I took the Fe home and continued to poke around. To my surprise, when I put the seat all the way back, steering wheel all the way up, threw on the turn signal, the sound actually seemed to come from the underside of the steering column. More specifically the crack underneath the steering wheel [see image below].

B/c its winter here in Toronto, I'm not too keep to start taking the column covers apart for fear of shattering the frozen plastic.

Is anyone out there with interior removal expertise able to go poking around?

I put my ear up to the crack/under side and it legitimately sounds like its coming from right behind - frustrating.

Also, I appologize for the quality of the photo - clearly taken with my cellular telephonic device at night hahaha

·
22,788 Posts
Got a friend in the medical community? Ask to borrow his/her stethoscope. BAM!

Pleas, PLEASE clean the foot feed and brake pedals and surroundings. I almost lost my dinner. ;) Tell you what...you get a free pass until Spring. Feel your pain, son! I truly do...this weather is miserable...and a lot earlier than usual for this part of the country. :wink2:

Had an idea, wrap my pedals in Wal*Mart sacks so they don't get dirt residue on them. {{{I'm joking...I think! :eek:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Winter is the bane of my existence - my footwell rarely looks the way it does right now. Having OCD my vehicle is always spotless - and yes, the amount of salt is killing me hahaha Living in a condo seriously hampers my ability to clean my vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
22,788 Posts
Winter is the bane of my existence - my footwell rarely looks the way it does right now. Having OCD my vehicle is always spotless - and yes, the amount of salt is killing me hahaha Living in a condo seriously hampers my ability to clean my vehicle.

I'm feeling your pain just looking at your avatar. That's ridiculous!

·
Registered
918 Posts
No flasher module, just an audible noise when the turns get activated by the computer, not the separate module.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Newer flashers are controlled on an integrated circuit board and the clicking noise is provided as audio feedback to indicate flasher operation.

No flasher module, just an audible noise when the turns get activated by the computer, not the separate module.
Well that's a pisser.

Does anyone know if there's room behind the rear turn signal housing to mount a resistor - from pictures I've seen in other threads there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room. There's plenty of room for the front turn signals resistor under the hood.

·
Registered
89 Posts
One possibility: You could splice into the wire and drop the resistor down behind the bumper area and secure it somewhere there. There should be a small gap visible to feed the wire behind the bumper when you remove the tail light.

·
Registered
918 Posts
That's a good idea or inside. Between the sheet metal and the cargo area. Place it on the sheet metal, but you're just tapping into the wires a little before the actual connector to the lights.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Newer flashers are controlled on an integrated circuit board and the clicking noise is provided as audio feedback to indicate flasher operation.
If you look up on the HMAService website, under Service> Body Electrical System> Lighting System> Troubleshooting, it lists:

Issue: Turn signal lamps do not light
Cause: Flasher unit faulty
Remedy: Check flasher unit

As well as;

Issue: Flasher rate too slow or too fast

Why would this be in there under the Service manual's diagnostic procedures if it's nonexistent on the 2013/14 Fe's?

Feel free to log onto the HMA website using (https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/)
Username: gencoupe.com
Password: gencoupe

Unfortunately due to their new privacy policy, unpaid access will be cut-off soon.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you look up on the HMAService website, under Service> Body Electrical System> Lighting System> Troubleshooting, it lists:

Issue: Turn signal lamps do not light

As well as;

Issue: Flasher rate too slow or too fast

Why would this be in there under the Service manual's diagnostic procedures if it's nonexistent on the 2013/14 Fe's?

Feel free to log onto the HMA website using (https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/)
Username: gencoupe.com
Password: gencoupe

Unfortunately due to their new privacy policy, unpaid access will be cut-off soon.
I agree, not sure why they would go the route others are talking about. They have to have a sensor that detects a low amperage, then have a board change the flasher rate. That part is fine but it becomes expensive to replace if they have issue's.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A part number for the 2013/2014 DM turn indicator relay would confirm there is a separate relay. Until then it is just an opinion that such a relay must exist. Various LED suppliers indicate there is no replacement relay available (indicating it is not a simple drop-in replacement) and all of the local dealers scratched their head when asked about a flasher relay and there was no part number on their systems.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Got a friend in the medical community? Ask to borrow his/her stethoscope. BAM!

Pleas, PLEASE clean the foot feed and brake pedals and surroundings. I almost lost my dinner. ;) Tell you what...you get a free pass until Spring. Feel your pain, son! I truly do...this weather is miserable...and a lot earlier than usual for this part of the country. :wink2:

Had an idea, wrap my pedals in Wal*Mart sacks so they don't get dirt residue on them. {{{I'm joking...I think! :eek:)
I could see you doing that Rich. I know you would put nothing but the best on your baby. When I first read it, I thought you were going to put socks on the foot feed.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts