Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Hyundai Santafe sport 2.4

So this is going to be a weird one.
I have brought this car to several mechanics including the delearship with no help. At around 35-45 MPH I notice a pulsating hum possible whistle. Once I get past 45 it goes away. Here’s the other kicker, only happens when the windows are rolled down. Can’t hear it when they are up. What do you guys think it could be? Once mechanic stated it was a vent that at the right speed was causing the noise and it’s nothing mechanical.

·
Registered
2015 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T & 2018 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Ultimate
22 Posts
EGriffith, Do you notice this sound while pressing the accelerator? I had an issue with my 2018 2.0T SFS that was whistling and driving me crazy when accelerating. The noise could only be heard with the windows down and was specifically noticeable when passing other cars and it echoing back. The culprit of the noise was confirmed by my local dealership as the electronic fuel pump on the top of the engine. They also confirmed the noise level was normal which I called BS on.

I ran a few bottles of Chevron with Techron through the engine for over the course of a month and it did tone it down a good bit. The second thing that I did was change the oil to full synthetic. I barely ever hear it now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darwin—- it’s happening while I’m accelerating, as soon as I get to 45 MPH it goes away. I initially thought it was a hum, till I finally got a machanic in the car with me while I was driving and he heard it to. He called it a whistle and stated my vents (couldn’t pin point which one) was the culprit and then started messing with the AC buttons. It’s very intermittent and you can only hear it when the windows are cracked/rolled down. 0-35 it’s not there. Once at about 50 it goes away. Here a little laugh too. It started a week before a 600 mile trip to Florida. 3 mechanics later couldn’t replicate the noise. Took it down to Florida and back. In total drove the car around 2000 miles between the ride there, driving from around and the ride back it never made the noise. A week after being home it came up while on the way to work. I have changed the brakes, regreased my calibers, had the bearings looked at and tires. This thing is driving me insane lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me rephrased my last post. The noise is there whether I am accelerting or letting off the gas. It seems to be speed driven, like happens during a certain range in speed. Once you get past the range it’s great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Darwin—- it’s happening while I’m accelerating, as soon as I get to 45 MPH it goes away. I initially thought it was a hum, till I finally got a machanic in the car with me while I was driving and he heard it to. He called it a whistle and stated my vents (couldn’t pin point which one) was the culprit and then started messing with the AC buttons. It’s very intermittent and you can only hear it when the windows are cracked/rolled down. 0-35 it’s not there. Once at about 50 it goes away. Here a little laugh too. It started a week before a 600 mile trip to Florida. 3 mechanics later couldn’t replicate the noise. Took it down to Florida and back. In total drove the car around 2000 miles between the ride there, driving from around and the ride back it never made the noise. A week after being home it came up while on the way to work. I have changed the brakes, regreased my calibers, had the bearings looked at and tires. This thing is driving me insane lol.
Ok that sounds almost identical to my issue. The whistling from my electronic fuel pump did stop at higher speeds. Had kinda forgotten about that. When I was testing to determine the noise i drove around my neighborhood listing while accelerating with the windows down. At first I thought it was the turbo going, gave myself a **** near heart attack since I bought her used, but it didn't make sense that the noise was only happening at lows speeds.

Let's presume it is your electronic fuel pump singing. So I have a couple of questions. I hope, and pray, this doesn't become an oil thread but I gotta ask :)
1. What type of oil are you using?
2. Do you use Chevron with techron with your SFS?
3. What type of oil filter are you using?
4. You you buy top tier gas or like me and get the run of the mill gas from my local Kroger?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I can answer a few of those questions. Due to the car being the newest one I have ever owned plus I’m still learning about it I haven’t done too much tearing into it besides the brakes and calibers. The car goes to either the Hyundai dealership or Meineke for the oil changes and I use full synthetic blend in it (no idea the brand either one of them use though). Gas wise I put the most expensive option and that because the car let me know very early on with a couple dealership runs that it DOES NOT like the cheap gas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well I can answer a few of those questions. Due to the car being the newest one I have ever owned plus I’m still learning about it I haven’t done too much tearing into it besides the brakes and calibers. The car goes to either the Hyundai dealership or Meineke for the oil changes and I use full synthetic blend in it (no idea the brand either one of them use though). Gas wise I put the most expensive option and that because the car let me know very early on with a couple dealership runs that it DOES NOT like the cheap gas.
EGriffith so a couple of things.
1. Was your last oil change at Meineke and did this start afterwards?
2. Right now at AutoZone Chevron with Techron is BOGO. I would strongly recommend you go get a couple of bottles. Go ahead and put one in your take and fill it up. Don't worry about putting it in before a fill up, it will mix right in with a tank top off. Go for a little drive afterwards.

If there is some carbon buildup with the pump the techron should be able to take care of it. If this problem started after a trip to Meineke then the problem might be related to oil starvation in the engine which can cause all sorts of odd sounds and sometimes performance issues. I've noted with my SFS that it really preferds the OEM filters and had odd noises at start. In my case I swear the OEM filter helped with the whistling but at the same time is it is possible that it was just dumb luck as I was trying to so everything I could think of to get it to stop. It really was so loud that I was embarrassed to pass anybody with their windows down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
EGriffith,
Did you ever make any progress with this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after dealing with the dealership due to a wheel speed sensor going out they actually stated my tires were what was causing my noise. Apparently I had some “chopping” going on with my front tires. They did a tire rotation and alignment and though it did not the noise go away, it made it migrate to the back of the vehicle. It’s not as loud, but still noticble with the windows down. I was told that my tread is good and I shouldn’t have to change them but due to the fact I still hear the noise I might just go ahead and do so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts