Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 2010 AWD Santa Fe with 1,600 miles. Over the weekend, I noticed a weird "humming" noise coming from somewhere in the vehicle (it sounds like possibly from the passenger side and from the interior of the vehicle). I only hear the noise when I accelerate. When I brake, the noise stops, and then picks up again when I hit the gas pedal.

Anyone else experience a strange "humming" noise like this? I will take the car to the dealer, however with the holidays approaching, I won't be able to get it there until the new year.

I appreciate any thoughts that any of you might have....

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
On a car with a lot more miles I'd suggest that it's the "audible brake pad wear warning device" telling you you need new brake pads - but with only 1,500 miles that's very unlikely.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it is a vibration, check the headrests....i put mine down and the vibration toned down quite a bit...I think the back seats vibrates somewhat as well

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Take your VIN, and call dealer and ask if there is any open recall to that VIN... looking for an Intermediate Shaft recall..

Had 2 at same time from different dealers towed to our place with the axle splines ripped right off... both cars did not get the recall done before retail sale...

Pic 1 - first car axle

Pic 2 - closer pic of 1st axle

Pic 3 - second car' axle

Pic 4 - second car' axle

Pic 5 - differential output (both trans look same)

Pic 6 - each car got new trans -

Pic 7 - better look at damage

Pic 8 - new fluid, it not SP-III... it SPH-IV

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the responses! It definitely is not a vibrating noise. More like a high pitched humming noise. It was still making the noise today when I was driving home from work. I opened the window (and braved the cold!) and I swear that the noise is coming from inside the vehicle...possibly from the brake or gas pedal? Could that be???

I am going to get the VIN number and call my dealer and see if there are any recalls that I should know about. That's a great suggestion!

·
Registered
9 Posts
iv got the same problem. iv got 4000km on my 2010 awd v6. and it makes the humming noise around 10kmh. at a stand still theres no noise. but it starts when im moving at 10kmh. and then stops when i get below that speed. im kinda baffled at what it could be. sounds like the sound is coming from the passenger front corner. im planning to get into the dealer, but theyr busy with the holidays and such.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem here... Humming noise only at 10 kph or higher. Getting worse and happening more often. My guess was something driveline related.

Calling the dealer tomorrow to ask about the recall.

Pete

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Correct,,, note that all the posters above do not have which engine they have in their "DRIVES" line.. just "2010 Santa Fe".... no other info given.

With that, all I can do is just info out and see what happens. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made an appointment to bring the Santa Fe in for service next week. I still hear the humming noise and think it is actually getting louder. I'll let you know if the dealer is able to find anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We started to notice the same humming noise in our 2010 V6 AWD:
  • starts above 10 km/h or so when accelerating
  • stops before reaching 0 km/h when decelerating
  • pitch stays pretty constant regardless of accelerating/decelerating/engine RPM
  • happens in or out of gear (ie continues after shifting to neutral while in motion)
  • happens with or without brake application
  • sound appears to be coming from front passenger area
  • doesn't get any better when the engine is warmed up
  • first noticed when the weather turned cold, which was around 5000km on the car
It was time for the first oil change at the end of December, so we mentioned it when we took it in. As it happens, the day we were booked to bring it in, it was warm again (about 7C, where it had been more regularly below that) and as I drove to the dealer for the appointment, the noise was gone. Classic "car noise disappears when you take it in" behaviour! =)

I mentioned it to the service rep - they asked if it first started when it got cold out in these parts (yes) and they said they find that on more recent model years, the cars tend to make these kinds of noises in the cold. They told me they always ask customers to monitor for any change for the worse with the noise, but otherwise wait to see if it goes away in warmer weather. They told me these customers never do come back in the spring - it always goes away.

It's not really an explanation, but it fits with what we experienced. I was nervous about the onset of a transmission problem but I have to admit the day it got warm out, the noise stopped. After it got cold again a few days later, the noise came back. I have not found any other evidence to suggest it's not harmless, but if anyone does know better, please let us all know. It sounds like a common complaint.

-A

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your reponse, AMcKie. I have the same EXACT problem with my car. I did have an appointment to bring the Santa Fe in, but was not able to keep the appointment. I'm not even sure, like you said, that the car would have been making the noise when I brought it in anyway.

I'm going to wait until the weather gets warmer at this point and see if I am still hearing the noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine just started making the same humming noise two days ago. We've been down to -20c and no noise. Coincidently, it started after I went through a touch-less carwash. It's been -2 or so that last couple of days. I'm not sure it's outside temperature related. Very odd and annoying as the noise comes and goes. I'll have it looked at as my first service is coming up.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (AMcKie @ Jan 11 2011, 03:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389730
We started to notice the same humming noise in our 2010 V6 AWD:
  • starts above 10 km/h or so when accelerating
  • stops before reaching 0 km/h when decelerating
    - So, car has to be moving

[*]pitch stays pretty constant regardless of accelerating/decelerating/engine RPM
    - Doesn't appear to be engine related

[*]happens in or out of gear (ie continues after shifting to neutral while in motion)
    - Doesn't appear to be transmission related but could still be driveshafts or CV joints

[*]happens with or without brake application
    - Doesn't appear to be brake related

[*]sound appears to be coming from front passenger area
    - Noise coming from the front

[*]doesn't get any better when the engine is warmed up
    - Again not engine related

[*]first noticed when the weather turned cold, which was around 5000km on the car

-A

QUOTE (YXUStu @ Jan 27 2011, 09:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=395130
Mine just started making the same humming noise two days ago. We've been down to -20c and no noise. Coincidently, it started after I went through a touch-less carwash. It's been -2 or so that last couple of days. I'm not sure it's outside temperature related. Very odd and annoying as the noise comes and goes. I'll have it looked at as my first service is coming up.

Did you get the underbody spray with your car wash?

With all this info, I would tend to eliminate, engine, tranmission, brakes. Since the noise is a whine/humming, I would look into the vibration of any plastic splash guards in the wheel wells or underbody. One might be loose and vibrating in the wind or rubbing against something spinning (wheels, axles). Anybody noticed if the it's worse with cross winds or wind bursts from the front.
The fact that someone mentionned that it started after a touchless car wash would also point to the possibility a loose plastic shield.

Another remote possibility... How about the interior heather fan? Had a car once that somehow would accumulate ice in the conduits near the fan blades and would then vibrate/hum has the fan was spinning. Was not present in the summer. And yes, it would vary slightly when accelerating since there was more power from the alternator to spin it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Stef.
No underbody spray. I actually thought that it might be loosened sand/dirt caught in the breaks, but the noise didn't change with breaking. I too though it might be the fan motor for the heater as I had this problem with my Honda Pilot a few years back. I turned off both the stereo and heating system when trying to figure it out and nothing changed.
I'll check out the wheel wells, but it doesn't sound like a rubbing sound. The pitch doesn't change. It sounds more like an electronic hum. I have a wee bit of a road trip coming up later today and will report back anything I can figure out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
QUOTE (YXUStu @ Jan 27 2011, 11:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=395165
Thanks for the suggestions Stef.
No underbody spray. I actually thought that it might be loosened sand/dirt caught in the breaks, but the noise didn't change with breaking. I too though it might be the fan motor for the heater as I had this problem with my Honda Pilot a few years back. I turned off both the stereo and heating system when trying to figure it out and nothing changed.
I'll check out the wheel wells, but it doesn't sound like a rubbing sound. The pitch doesn't change. It sounds more like an electronic hum. I have a wee bit of a road trip coming up later today and will report back anything I can figure out.
Make sure none of the rubber bungs are missing on the underbody or chasis rails, this can cause all sorts of whistling or humming noises as the wind passes over them?.

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad to see more thinking caps applied to this one. Some thoughts on what's been asked/answered in the last day:

- In our case, I know it's nothing to do with an automatic car wash (it hasn't been through one).
- I should have specified that I did all my detective work with both the stereo and the HVAC gear shut off.
- I'm a little skeptical about the rubbing shield theory because the way the sound cuts out on deceleration is quite abrupt. It doesn't fade out to nothing, it stops. And I would expect the pitch of a rubbing-related sound to vary with speed, which it doesn't.

I will definitely check the plastic shields etc just in case though!

-A

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (AMcKie @ Jan 27 2011, 07:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=395365
Glad to see more thinking caps applied to this one. Some thoughts on what's been asked/answered in the last day:

- I'm a little skeptical about the rubbing shield theory because the way the sound cuts out on deceleration is quite abrupt. It doesn't fade out to nothing, it stops. And I would expect the pitch of a rubbing-related sound to vary with speed, which it doesn't.

I will definitely check the plastic shields etc just in case though!

-A
I brought up the vibration because I had that happen to me before. Wheel well cover was loose. The thing with that type of vibration is that it start to vibrate but you do not necessarily hear it right away, and when it does start to be audible, it can no longer vibrate faster, hence the fact that the sound doesn't seem to vary with sped too much. Same happens with tie-down straps on a trailer. They either vibrate or they don't.

Another thing I noticed from reading all the posts again is that so far, everyone that complained to have the problem have AWD. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. Both the 4 and 6 cyl engines are in the list so that rules out the engine itself.

Can someone try to find out if the noise comes from the cabin or outside? Or, is it louder inside the car or outside? Left or right? Can someone try to record it if possible?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts