Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Santa Fe gls 4wd with 130k give or take. I have done some research and Im supposed to get 19-26 mpg... But im getting 9.... I replaced plugs and wires... Changed filters and got about an extra 3 mpg out of it... So I'm still missing quite a bit. Also when I get on it to try to merge with traffic or climb a long hill I get this burnt rubber smell(and no I'm not burning my tires). I just got this vehicle about 4 months ago. It's my daily driver and its killing me at the pump. Anyone else ever have any of these problems? And if so... How were they resolved?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm - my 03 has its MPG go down every fall when the gas formulation changes (and before I put on my snows) - all told they take me down to 15-16 mpg from the normal 20.

However, something else is going on here - have you checked for brake drag/sticky calipers?. One test after you've driven a bit is to carefully and lightly check calipers for overheating (a quick and light touch, thru the slots in the wheels). They should be warm but not hot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, you definitely have a problem. Sounds like dragging brakes. Have them checked out, it could be a stuck E brake or bad caliper. Otherwise you might have an accessory that isn't turning well and you have a belt slipping and it burning, but with the bad mileage, I'd focus on the brakes first.

A scanner that can read live data could also help in this situation. You can see the load being placed on the motor at idle as well as when you are driving it in the situation you describe. Also, looking at the fuel trims would help as well. If you have high numbers in the fuel trims, you could be running rich. This could end up destroying your catalytic converters, so this is certainly something you want to look into NOW.

Our 3.5 gets 19mpg on average and down to 12mpg if the wife lets the remote start sit and warm it up on cold days with the winter blend fuel. That's pretty typical for most vehicles in MN with remote start.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I have a 2002 Santa Fe gls 4wd with 130k give or take. I have done some research and Im supposed to get 19-26 mpg... But im getting 9.... I replaced plugs and wires... Changed filters and got about an extra 3 mpg out of it... So I'm still missing quite a bit. Also when I get on it to try to merge with traffic or climb a long hill I get this burnt rubber smell(and no I'm not burning my tires). I just got this vehicle about 4 months ago. It's my daily driver and its killing me at the pump. Anyone else ever have any of these problems? And if so... How were they resolved?
You've got a 4wd, so the smell could be a leaky transfer case that leaks oil onto the drive shaft and then gets flung onto the muffler/tailpipe. Don't let it run dry or it will wreck the transfer case. Along with the bad mileage, are you losing power going up hills?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts