Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there guys
I have a 2007 Diesel Santa Fe. Mileage ca. 170,000 Miles (270K kilometers).
I live on Iceland. When changing from winter to summer tires recently I noticed a new noise. I get a hum from the front end which disappears when turning right - like on a sweeping road when entering a highway etc.
Any ideas anyone ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
front wheel bearing

Hi there guys
I have a 2007 Diesel Santa Fe. Mileage ca. 170,000 Miles (270K kilometers).
I live on Iceland. When changing from winter to summer tires recently I noticed a new noise. I get a hum from the front end which disappears when turning right - like on a sweeping road when entering a highway etc.
Any ideas anyone ?
I am guessing its the front right wheel that needs its bearing replaced. Anyone have any similar experience ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again guys
Update - I checked today and there seems to be nothing wrong with the right wheel bearing BUT when I jacked up the left wheel and span the wheel there was a strange sound from the CV shaft - like there was something loose in there.
Does anyone have any thoughts about this ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Camper
The noise disappears when I turn right at highway speeds - like on a slip road entering a highway.
I checked the right wheel today but did not notice anything bad. When I jacked up the left side and rotated that wheel I noticed a sound like the CV joints lacking grease ! This could be why the sound becomes obvious after some time driving, and lessens when taking the banked entrance to the highway (steering to the right).
There is nothing obvious to show the reason for the problem here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some further checks today and sure enough the sound dies down when I steer right at 40km/hr + and yesterday when I jacked up the front left side when I rotated the wheel it sounded worn - somewhere behind the wheel - like it needed grease or something.
I will call Hyundai tomorrow and ask for a time for repair..

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Thanks for updating this thread.
I thought you found the issue when you mentioned the noise was from the left CV axle
Are you still assessing where the issue is at???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there avisitor

I am sure its the left wheel bearing thats worn - I am booked in to the Hyundai dealers here tomorrow for repair - the mechanic will assess the problem and advise - I will ask him to show me before doing the repair. I was going to have both wheel bearings replaced, but it will be so expensive - I will just have to see.
Its becoming more and more obvious when driving now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Avisitor

I had the left wheel bearing changed , just the damaged bearing as it was too expensive to change the two - I will use it until it fails.

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Back in the older days, use to be able to afford changing both wheel bearings
Now a days, can't afford both.
So change one and hope for the best.

I am glad you're up and running again.
Lets hope it will be a long time before you need to do anymore work on the car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts