Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the wheel bearing on my 02 XG350. I am at the point where I've removed the driveshaft nut but I can't get the driveshaft disconnected from the axle hub.

The Hyundai on-line manual is unclear exactly how this is done. They simply tell you to use a plastic hammer but are not specific on what to hit. I think they want me to hit the end of the drive shaft. I tried that with no success.

Right now I have a wheel puller attached to the axle hub pushing against the driveshaft. I have also heated it up. Still no joy. I think this is correct but I am reluctant to really crank on it.

Is this the correct proceedure?

Any suggestions/help are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would think that if you got the nut off, the rest should be a breeze. What have you disconnected so far, you need to remove the upper ball joint, and tie rod end to swivel the spindle out then smack the end of the shaft with any hammer as long as you put the nut back on you wont damage any threads.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Like mac1 says... you have to disconnect the upper ball joint and the tie rod end. Sounds like you didn't do that. Then you reach behind the hub and push in the axle into the trans while you pull the knuckle the other way. The axle should come right out. If it doesn't, then you beat the end of the axle with the hammer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have disconnected the ball joint and teh tie rod. The knuckle is still connected toe the upper arm. If I understand you, I should disconnect the upper arm as well and the hit the end of the driveshaft. My concern is that if I disconnect the knuckle at all points (upper arm, tie rod and ball joint) what will prevent it from moving when I whack the end of the driveshaft?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well since you all ready have one of the ball joints off then just hammer it with the nut one. I remove the upper one and not the bottom but that's just me. Spray some penetrating liquid in there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Stevent11 @ Sep 4 2010, 07:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354345
I'm replacing the wheel bearing on my 02 XG350. I am at the point where I've removed the driveshaft nut but I can't get the driveshaft disconnected from the axle hub.

The Hyundai on-line manual is unclear exactly how this is done. They simply tell you to use a plastic hammer but are not specific on what to hit. I think they want me to hit the end of the drive shaft. I tried that with no success.

Right now I have a wheel puller attached to the axle hub pushing against the driveshaft. I have also heated it up. Still no joy. I think this is correct but I am reluctant to really crank on it.

Is this the correct proceedure?

Any suggestions/help are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried everything I know. I can not get the Hub and Knuckle assembly off the driveshaft. After removeing the driveshaft nut and washer, I've tried heating the hub, penetrating oil, and a wheel puller (small one) all to no avail. I put the nut back on and wacked it hard several times. Still no joy.

Any thoughts as to what else I should try?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If you did everything like we said, as in remove the ball joint, tie rod end, etc, then there's nothing to hold the axle in anymore (in a perfect world.) Get a bigger hammer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You need to rent a bigger puller, your at war with Rust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still can’t get the driveshaft loose from the hub-knuckle assembly so my plan is to remove the hub-knuckle assembly with the driveshaft still attached. I can then work on breaking it loose on a bench.

The way I understand it, the driveshaft on the front driver’s side simply pops out of the transaxle (nothing to loosen or remove). I think I can feel that happening.

The snag is the rubber boot covering the attachment point at the transaxle. What’s underneath the boot and how do I remove it without destroying it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (mac1 @ Sep 5 2010, 02:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354488
You need to rent a bigger puller, your at war with Rust.

I'm thinking about this option. Right now I have the puller attached to the hub assembly (as opposed to the knuckle). Is that correct? If I leave the knuckle attached at the upper arm and lower ball joint will the hub assembly come off first leaving the knuckle still attached, or do they have to come out as a unit?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (Stevent11 @ Sep 5 2010, 07:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354529
I'm thinking about this option. Right now I have the puller attached to the hub assembly (as opposed to the knuckle). Is that correct? If I leave the knuckle attached at the upper arm and lower ball joint will the hub assembly come off first leaving the knuckle still attached, or do they have to come out as a unit?
Let's back up. You seem rather clueless about how it all comes apart. If you don't know how to get the axle out, I question whether you should be doing this in the first place. Why do you have to replace the bearings? How do you know they are bad?

Anyway, to answer your questions...

What you're trying to do is remove the knuckle off the car so you can press out the bearing from the hub. You have to get the axle out to do that. You can remove the knuckle with axle off the car if you can't get the axle off any other way, but you still have to separate the axle from the knuckle. Usually the axle comes out easy.

You don't need to separate the boot or the CV joints to get the axle off. It basically will slide out of the trans. You just need to get the knuckle end out of the hub to do that so there's enough clearance. If you can't get the knuckle end out, then it's certainly possible to take out the knuckle with the axle attached If it doesn't come out of the trans easy, then you pry it with a screwdriver. In any event, you wouldn't need to slide the axle out of the trans if you could only get the axle out of the hub.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not replaced a bearing in many years.

As I see it on the Hyundai web site, the hub assembly must come off befor the knuckle can be removed. In my situation, the driveshaft is frozen or rusted into the hub.

I am thinking about removing the hub, knuckle and driveshaft so I can work on them on a bench. The driveshaft just pulls out of the the trans but there is a rubber boot covering the point of connection right? When I pull on the hub/driveshaft, I feel it come loose from the trans. At that point it rotates freely but the rubber boot still prevents me from completely pulling it free. At least thats what appears to be happening. I'm just hesitant to keep pulling because I might tear the rubber boot.

Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's the rest of the story. I had the right front bearing replaced by the dealer about 6 months ago. It also was frozen together and the dealer simply replaced all the parts. Bottom line about $900. I simply can't afford that again. No work. So I am doing it myself. I am not unfamiliar with this type of work. I just don't do it regularly, more of a hobby if that.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (Stevent11 @ Sep 5 2010, 08:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354536
I have not replaced a bearing in many years.

As I see it on the Hyundai web site, the hub assembly must come off befor the knuckle can be removed. In my situation, the driveshaft is frozen or rusted into the hub.

I am thinking about removing the hub, knuckle and driveshaft so I can work on them on a bench. The driveshaft just pulls out of the the trans but there is a rubber boot covering the point of connection right? When I pull on the hub/driveshaft, I feel it come loose from the trans. At that point it rotates freely but the rubber boot still prevents me from completely pulling it free. At least thats what appears to be happening. I'm just hesitant to keep pulling because I might tear the rubber boot.

Does that sound about right?
No, that's not right. You don't just pull on the axle. You pry it out from the trans. You don't want to separate the cv joint. It should look like one of these after you get it out, depending on if you're doing right or left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CV-Axle-200...#ht_1493wt_1085

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok! That clears things up some.

Now, about prying it out of the trans. I don't see how you can get in there to pry on it. It's a really small area. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to give up on breaking it loose. Even with a 4 ton wheel puller and heat it will not come loose. My next step is to remove the whole mess from the trans out (driveshaft, knuckle and hub) and replace it all with salvage.

Thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
220 Posts
SOunds like you made the right choice because it's looking like you need one of these

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got it beat now. I don't think an air hammer would have made any difference. I got the half shaft, knuckle and hbu out and in a vice and beat it with a sledge hammer while heating it. It did not budge a mm.

I'm takeing it to a machine shop tomorrow to have the shaft and bearing pressed out and a new bearing pressed in. That's the weakness in doing this stuff once in a blue moon. I fumble along and thru the grace of people on web site like this you finally figure it out.

In the end I'm still way way way ahead in expenses. I had the right side done at the dealer a few months ago. It started out at an estimated $300 but ended up costing $900. If you don't know what's involved you might as well just bend over and grab your ankles. I was not going to let it happen twice. So now I'm educated, saved a bundle and all it really cost was some heartburn.

I'll tell you what though, "I love it when it all comes together"!!

Many thanks to all who helped, especially jsinton.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the process of changing a 2003 XG350 front wheel bearing. I had planned on just taking the arm that holds the wheel bearing to the machine shop, but not smart enough to remove it. I have the axle and everything removed from the assembly, but there is still have one black component attached to the assembly and not sure how to remove it. There was a small screw holding it into place and when I remove it the component does not move and I do not want to break anything. Suggestions

1 - 20 of 21 Posts