Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I just saw this and think that this is a fantastic tool for the stretch belt installation/removal if it works just like in the video:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Replaced the belts last night, took us about 40 minutes. $40 labor and $65 for the belts. Stretch belt came off and went on very easily, literally less than a minute by turning the crankshaft, but the HSG belt gave us a bit of resistance because of the dual tensioners and getting the wrenches in proper position. It is such a tight working area, but 2 people definitely made it easier. Also it was totally done from underneath the vehicle and the passenger wheel and under cowling had to be removed for access.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'm jealous, Vinny. At 190,000 miles I'm taking my Hybrid to you ;-)
LOL, I do most of my own work but this time I am glad that I went to my mechanic because he had the curved and angled box end wrenches that I don't own, plus some other bars and wedges that helped getting the HSG belt back on easier. I really thought the problem would be the stretch water pump belt but it came off and went on so easily by turning the crank. My mechanic is one of those rare, old-school honest guys that is difficult to find these days. He works in a dealership by day and at home at night and on weekends but is selective about his customers and is always busy as can be. I have been very fortunate to find an honest and fair priced mechanic and hate going to the dealer or a franchised shop because they are always trying to grab cash from customers and he confirms it. He has worked in dealers for many years and so has my brother in law (over 4 decades) and both will tell you that it's a constant drive for work and commissions. My brother in law recently got so fed up with the constant commission churning push for more work that he left the field and is very happy in his new job. He was a service manager for many years and most customers were middle class working people like ourselves and he would tell the advisors that they are not in Beverly Hills where every customer coming in can spend a grand on work. Just his shop would pull in over $85,000 in service monthly, and the boss owns multiple dealerships. The constant push for commission related work was out of control and he got fed up finally and left the field.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
We are at 59k miles and I had the dealer change my HSG belt for $200. While they had it tore down I had them replace 2 more belts along with 2 filters, tire balance/rotate, lube, oil change $950 out the door.:frown: Two weeks later I get a new $400 12V battery and had new $600 tires at 53k. I was planning on keeping the HSH for many more years but my wife struggles to get in/out with her poor knees so someone is going to get a great car next year.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Only have 9200 miles, but is the 2016 2.0L belt the same problem. Or did they fix it up a bit better to replace it. Seems $300 for two belts is excessive.
That's a lot of gas money ! I see timing belts replacements go for $350. That's a lot more work.

Would this work better ? ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
HSG and Water Pump Belt Change on Hybrid YF

I just did this belt change a couple days ago. For anyone with a Hybrid, forget the videos on Youtube showing the non-hybrid engine procedure. There are two tensioners, which make this procedure different. Also, get a friend to assist (highly recommended).

Step 1 - observe the HSG belt route and remember it because the new one has to follow that routing around the pulleys.

Step 2 -from the top of the engine bay place two wrenches (one 17mm and one 15mm) on the tensioners and pull opposite directions away from eachother. You may want to test the tensioners at this point to see if they move properly (not getting stuck or something off that would indicate the tensioners are bad, because if they are, this would be the time to replace them). If they seem fine, proceed to remove the HSG belt. While holding the wrenches (pulling opposite directions away from eachother), have your friend remove the belt off of the alternator pulley.

Note: If you don't have a friend to assist, you'll need to find a way to hold one of the wrenches into the pulled position. I would suggest using an old belt around the wrench and hold it to the passenger side strut tower knob or a C Clamp to lock the wrench against the engine mount for the rear tensioner.

Step 3 - Jack the car up on the passenger side and place a jack stand under for safety. Remove the plastic underside panels (the one across the front and the passenger side) with a phillips screwdriver (+) and a 10mm socket.

Step 4 - remove the front passenger side wheel.

Step 5 - Place a 22mm socket on the crank pulley and use a standard flat tip screw driver to remove the water pump belt whilst turning the crank. The belt should stretch off easily.

Step 6 - remove the HSG belt.

Step 7 - route the HSG belt around all the pulleys except the AC pulley, making sure the grooves all line up.

Step 8 - Have your friend at the top of the engine bay pull on the tensioner closest to the engine mount (tensioner closest to the rear). From underneath the car, pull on the other tensioner and force the belt onto the AC pulley at the same time. Yell at each other to pull harder if you are having issues and try not to have your wrenches slip off the pulleys :)

Step 9 - Ensure the belt is properly routed and is seated correctly on the grooves of all pulleys. This is critical - make sure.

Step 10 - Put the water pump belt on. It goes on the same way it came off. Line the belt up on the water pump pulley, ensuring it is properly seated in the grooves. You can have your friend hold it onto the pulley if you want. Then use your screwdriver and and 22mm socket to turn the crank and lever the belt on.

Step 11 - Ensure the belts are properly on all pulleys. Go even further by turning the crank with your 22mm socket a full rotation to make sure it turns and the belts are staying in place properly seated in all the grooves.

Step 12 - once you are sure everything is seated properly. Start the car and have a look at the belts in operation.

Step 13 - when everything checks out okay, turn off the car, put the plastic underside panels back on, reinstall the wheel, lower your car. Take it for a test drive.

Step 14 - pat yourself on the back for completing the belt change without a mechanics license.

HOPE THIS HELPS:wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Additional note - I recommend you buy the OEM Hyundai HSG belt (safer to stay OEM in my opinion with this belt). However, I recommend an aftermarket water pump belt to save $$S (belts are way over priced OEM) - you can take a chance going aftermarket with this belt, no worries!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
SBR had posted this a while ago about changing the belts alone:

Belt replacement is a blast..
Starter-Generator took me 2 wrench to move both tensioner at same time, tie 1 wrench to motor mount to hold while I pull other and flip belt on..
The water pump belt is more or less a rubber band.. use tool to trip belt off pulley, then hand turn crank and royally stretch new belt up onto pulley while rotate crank pulley by hand with socket..

Apparently he ties one wrench to the motor mount while pulling the other....I helped my mechanic do it and it took some effort with both of us working different wrenches but we did the whole job relatively quick. I think I paid around $65 for both OEM belts but if I remember correctly, they were Kia belts. Exact fit.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
SBR had posted this a while ago about changing the belts alone:

I think I paid around $65 for both OEM belts but if I remember correctly, they were Kia belts. Exact fit.

Hyundai Optima & Kia Sonata --> Same platform / powertrain.. different decorations

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is 2 years after the post, but this may help someone else. There is a spot on each tensioner were you can insert an Allen wrench to hold the tensioner in place while you remove and replace the belt. It’s difficult because of the tight space. I’m replacing the tensioner assembly on my 2011. I will post pictures if I can figure out how on this forum

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
At 2:30 in this video, you will see the pin holes that you mention:
Here's another video relating to the belt:

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
First video is of the LF HEV flavor... the back tensioner,,,,,, we have SST that slip down in and compress that tensioner,, similar to coil spring compressor...

Second video hurt to watch.. lot of noise and no action

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It's the one he starts pointing at around the 1:10 mark in the above video. It's the longer of the 2 belts and wraps around the starter generator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HSG and Water Pump Belt Change on Hybrid YF

I just did this belt change a couple days ago. For anyone with a Hybrid, forget the videos on Youtube showing the non-hybrid engine procedure. There are two tensioners, which make this procedure different. Also, get a friend to assist (highly recommended).

Step 1 - observe the HSG belt route and remember it because the new one has to follow that routing around the pulleys.

Step 2 -from the top of the engine bay place two wrenches (one 17mm and one 15mm) on the tensioners and pull opposite directions away from eachother. You may want to test the tensioners at this point to see if they move properly (not getting stuck or something off that would indicate the tensioners are bad, because if they are, this would be the time to replace them). If they seem fine, proceed to remove the HSG belt. While holding the wrenches (pulling opposite directions away from eachother), have your friend remove the belt off of the alternator pulley.

Note: If you don't have a friend to assist, you'll need to find a way to hold one of the wrenches into the pulled position. I would suggest using an old belt around the wrench and hold it to the passenger side strut tower knob or a C Clamp to lock the wrench against the engine mount for the rear tensioner.

Step 3 - Jack the car up on the passenger side and place a jack stand under for safety. Remove the plastic underside panels (the one across the front and the passenger side) with a phillips screwdriver (+) and a 10mm socket.

Step 4 - remove the front passenger side wheel.

Step 5 - Place a 22mm socket on the crank pulley and use a standard flat tip screw driver to remove the water pump belt whilst turning the crank. The belt should stretch off easily.

Step 6 - remove the HSG belt.

Step 7 - route the HSG belt around all the pulleys except the AC pulley, making sure the grooves all line up.

Step 8 - Have your friend at the top of the engine bay pull on the tensioner closest to the engine mount (tensioner closest to the rear). From underneath the car, pull on the other tensioner and force the belt onto the AC pulley at the same time. Yell at each other to pull harder if you are having issues and try not to have your wrenches slip off the pulleys :)

Step 9 - Ensure the belt is properly routed and is seated correctly on the grooves of all pulleys. This is critical - make sure.

Step 10 - Put the water pump belt on. It goes on the same way it came off. Line the belt up on the water pump pulley, ensuring it is properly seated in the grooves. You can have your friend hold it onto the pulley if you want. Then use your screwdriver and and 22mm socket to turn the crank and lever the belt on.

Step 11 - Ensure the belts are properly on all pulleys. Go even further by turning the crank with your 22mm socket a full rotation to make sure it turns and the belts are staying in place properly seated in all the grooves.

Step 12 - once you are sure everything is seated properly. Start the car and have a look at the belts in operation.

Step 13 - when everything checks out okay, turn off the car, put the plastic underside panels back on, reinstall the wheel, lower your car. Take it for a test drive.

Step 14 - pat yourself on the back for completing the belt change without a mechanics license.

HOPE THIS HELPS:wink:
Thank you for these instructions. They helped a lot. However the job still took me 4 hours and I probably should have paid the mechanic to do it instead.

A few other tips:

1. the hsg belt is about an inch wide and fairly short. Be sure to purchase the right one. Many websites for the 2013 list 3 belts—and only 2 of them are what you need.
2. I used two c clamps to keep both wrenches in the right position so I then had both hands free. Even with this approach it was still difficult to get the hsg belt onto the final pulley
3. I turned the crank to help the hsg belt get onto the final pulley (for the alternator). There was no other way it was going on otherwise.

good luck!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts