Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone change out their HSG belt? I have just about 60,000 miles, the recommended change interval. Have the '11 Hybird

·
Registered
660 Posts
I take my car in for service every month and so far the dealership hasn't even recommended that the belt be replaced. I went over 81,000 yesterday and they have had me do some other things to the car but never brought this up. They're usually pretty good about making some extra money for the dealership!

Chuck

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Belt replacement is a blast..

Starter-Generator took me 2 wrench to move both tensioner at same time, tie 1 wrench to motor mount to hold while I pull other and flip belt on..

The water pump belt is more or less a rubber band.. use tool to trip belt off pulley, then hand turn crank and royally stretch new belt up onto pulley while rotate crank pulley by hand with socket..

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I took my Sonata Hybrid 11" in for an oil change and they told me that at 30,000 miles I need to have my HSG belt replaced. I check the manufacturer's guidelines and it says 60,000 miles unless under severe usage (30,000). However, when I asked her how she knows that my HSG belt needed to be replaced without an inspection. She told me that in New England, we are classified as severe usage and therefore I need to have my HSG replaced. Um ok...so my next question is the dealership just trying to milk me or can I hold off a bit to get my HSG belt replaced? Btw at an earlier recall couple months back at another authorized Hyundai dealership, there was no mention of the HSG belt replacement. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
So I took my Sonata Hybrid 11" in for an oil change and they told me that at 30,000 miles I need to have my HSG belt replaced. I check the manufacturer's guidelines and it says 60,000 miles unless under severe usage (30,000). However, when I asked her how she knows that my HSG belt needed to be replaced without an inspection. She told me that in New England, we are classified as severe usage and therefore I need to have my HSG replaced. Um ok...so my next question is the dealership just trying to milk me or can I hold off a bit to get my HSG belt replaced? Btw at an earlier recall couple months back at another authorized Hyundai dealership, there was no mention of the HSG belt replacement. Thanks!
Another dealer digging in your pockets for more work. Stick to the book and you should be fine.

Change dealers ASAP...this one has targeted you for profit!

·
Registered
521 Posts
There were two different dealerships in my area (actually... within a 40 minute drive there are 6) that I deal with.

One wanted to replace the HSG and 30k and the other at 60k. Since I'd been using the one who wanted to do it at 60k normally :) that's where I went :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
sbr - The HSG belt we're all referring to is just the large serpentine belt right? Or is there a separate belt just for the HSG. The water pump belt is the tiny one a bit deeper in the engine bay right?
Do you have part numbers?

I'm at over 70k myself and I haven't had it changed :). I should get on it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Reg, not sure if this animation is 100% accurate, but if it is, it seems that it is the long serpentine belt, and the other is the water pump and alternator belt. Wonder how difficult it is for a do it yourself mechanic?
I found these replacement belts at Rockauto.com:
GOODYEAR Part # 4060840 Gatorback; Poly-V; 6 Ribs / Effective Length 84" / Outside Length 84.75"
Accessory Drive; Poly-V -----------------------------$20.79
Water Pump and Alternator -------------------------$11.94

Not a bad price if it can be done at home.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Don't hold off on this one. My belt broke at 74,000 miles. $90 parts $450 labor :eek:
Wow, I guess we should really have them replaced at 60,000 miles. I assume you replaced the other belt as well while you were having the HSG belt put on?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I ordered both belts, going to do it myself this weekend. Went with a goodyear gatorback mainbelt (cheaper and similar reviews vs the gates belt) and the OEM water pump belt. I'll try to take photos if I remember.

Supercell - pepboys quoted me $90 labor only; I'm just so cheap I won't even pay that... did you get other service for that $450 labor?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That would be great if you take pictures of your belt install Reg. I will probably try it myself if and when I get to 60,000 miles. I would like to get my hands on an official Hyundai service manual for my vehicle.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The tow was covered by Hyundai. $450 was for labor on both belts. Also, they didn't have the belt at the dealer so the car sat on the lot for two days.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The tow was covered by Hyundai. $450 was for labor on both belts. Also, they didn't have the belt at the dealer so the car sat on the lot for two days.
By any chance, do you know if they replaced the tensioner as well as the belts during your service?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts