Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning fellow Hyundai enjoyers, a bit of info to pass along. Apparently the high pressure fuel pump was leaking fuel into the engine oil, the pic related parts were replaced in addition to a valve cover gasket. 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T AWD, built on 11/06/2020. Font Handwriting Paper Paper product Document
Font Material property Paper Paper product Parallel
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,818 Posts
I would assume the oil level increased before this repair? Please report the oil level after 1-2 weeks of driving.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Darn; that's concerning. How many miles? Do you drive it hard? I don't understand why not making the HP fuel pumps electric too; it never made sense to me they were mechanically driven by a cam, where fuel could leak into the oil. The good news is this is the first time I hear of such an incident, but that doesn't mean it's an isolated one. The paperwork says it was performed by a 'tech line'. Not sure what that means, but wonder if it's a kind of TSB, meaning it has happened enough times that it's documented already. The bad news is it's almost impossible to know fuel is diluting the oil except with an oil analysis, or if it's truly excessive. I'll smell the oil when checking it from now on, and on both vehicles, due to HP cam-driven fuel pumps (2023 2.0T G70 and 2022 2.5T SF). Thank you for posting this; good info. Oh, and why did you get a new turbo? Just curious.

·
Registered
'22 Calli FWD Portofino Gray/black int.
79 Posts
I read the 'replaced per tech line" to mean they called Hyundai and got permission to make repair under warranty. I think the oil test results carried a lot of weight in the decision making on corporate end. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
"HP fuel pump leaking gas into the valve train"
Can someone explain this?
The pump pressurizes the fuel, the injectors deliver the correct amount to the cylinders. The injectors are the last components for the fuel, leak would have to be from a bad injector and the leak would stop once the presssure has been dropped since the pump and engine are off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer as many as possible, here goes. There were no indications other than an occasional rough start. No warning lights or codes thrown. I did smell gas on the dipstick, but that is common with GDI engines. The oil level may have risen 1/16th or 1/8th of an inch in 5K miles. 18.5K miles, driven gently 20 minutes across surface streets twice daily; about 10 miles each way. Highway miles on weekends, plus an Italian tune up twice a week. The turbo was roached out per the mechanic, leaking oil into the air box. A byproduct of diluted oil? Someone else may know better. The lady service writer says she's seen 4 of these particular problems. And finally, the HP fuel pump sits atop the valvetrain, thus the leak into the engine oil. Product Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Those pumps can leak internally, like it was the case with the OP, I guess. And that's very hard to detect, at least quickly. But when bad enough, guess it'd always take a while to start...and that's exactly what has happened to my 2023 G70 2.0T a few times randomly. But only when left resting for a few hours. On quick stops, and cold starts, has always started normally, so not sure what to make of that. It hasn't done it lately, so that's good. Anyway, on old vehicles, a bad fuel pump (also operated by the -pushrod- cam) used to leak thru a weep hole, so a better design than 50 years later. Ha ha. And less than 20K miles is very early for a failure, so obviously a defective unit. The 2.0Ts have been the most problematic engines for Hyundai by far. I had trouble with the 2016 Kia Optima SX-L, so hope to avoid that with the G70. We'll see, I guess.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,507 Posts
Myself, and some others have consistently been suffering from fuel diluting the oil.

I have been tracking it here: 2020 2.0T Oil Analysis

So far the dealers have thrown up their hands and said to investigate further, I would need to open a case with Hyundai.

I relocated to Florida last month. So far I have noticed with the hotter weather here, the oil level has gone from being above F to right on the F mark where it was when I changed the oil. I will need to do another analysis to see if the levels have gone down to normal due to excess fuel being burned off.

If I find that the oil is still being diluted, I most likely will just go ahead and open a case....depending on the projected time I will have my vehicle sitting at the dealer...

How long did it take to get this fixed? and did they provide you with a loaner?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Will read that thread later today; thank you. Fuel could be leaking into the engine via the fuel pump, or the injectors, like if they leak when engine is shut off. Having said that, with that history, it's critical to change the oil at 5K-mile intervals, no? Which is what I do. I also hope Hyundai changed something on the newer engines like mine (2022), but I honestly doubt it. Wonder if Hyundai will keep making the 2.0T, now that the 2.5T is out. The fact they didn't convert it to 'SmartStream' (with dual injection) for 2023, like they did with the 3.8L V6 on the Palisade/Telluride, I don't think so. Does anybody know for certain? Thank you.

Reactions: FishRamLion

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
1,507 Posts
Will read that thread later today; thank you. Fuel could be leaking into the engine via the fuel pump, or the injectors, like if they leak when engine is shut off. Having said that, with that history, it's critical to change the oil at 5K-mile intervals, no? Which is what I do. I also hope Hyundai changed something on the newer engines like mine (2022), but I honestly doubt it. Wonder if Hyundai will keep making the 2.0T, now that the 2.5T is out. The fact they didn't convert it to 'SmartStream' (with dual injection) for 2023, like they did with the 3.8L V6 on the Palisade/Telluride, I don't think so. Does anybody know for certain? Thank you.
Yep. I usually change every 3K miles.
I'm surprised that they kept making it after introducing the 2.5T. They are now only using it on the N vehicles.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Negative. My 2023 G70 2.0T has the same engine as your SF. I consider the N 2.0Ts different, since they have a higher output, and must have something different, I'd assume. Maybe it's just the tune, but who knows. I think Hyundai is just using the remaining inventory left of 2.0Ts, since for some very strange reason, they decided to put the new 2.5T on the 'lesser' Stinger (same old platform as the G70), and leave the old 2.0T on the supposedly 'premium' G70. Really wish it had the 2.5T that is on my SF; it's an awesome engine. Oh well. Just hope it doesn't give me any freaking trouble; I'd settle with that :).

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
HO version involves fuel management tuning; to handle the stress: possibly stronger metal for some internal parts, possibly minor design tweak.The core remains unchange.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Good info; thank you. DI engines indeed have more fuel dilution than PI ones indeed. And also condensation from short trips could raise the oil level as well, although that evaporates after a long drive. Finally, I'd NEVER let an oil filter there after an oil change; that's the most important part of an oil change. Plus you're leaving quite a bit of dirty oil in there, so that's not a smart idea. Between the oil filter, and the amount left there when you loosen it, it's quite a bit. Finally, it's also a good idea to remove the drain plug, or you'd be leaving all kinds of crap at the bottom of the pan, eventually turning into sludge. I also have a fluid extractor, but only use it for brake fluid changes. And when I get new cars overfilled with oil. Oh, and I always use OEM filters, due to the fact the specs for the pressure relief valve are never specified, plus OEM filters are almost as cheap as any other, so cheap insurance IMO :). Take care.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
How does fuel from fuel pump leak into engine bypassing the injectors?????
The HPFP runs off lobes on one of the cams.
On any moving mechanical part there has to be barriers to liquids or gases, like shaft seals or piston rings.
Some seal on the pump allowed fuel to seep out and drip onto the cam.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Will be interesting to see the UOA after the repair to see if the fuel'd oil percentage drops some.

I wonder how many pumps are leaking excessively.

Regardless, I'll still recommend the 40 grade oils for these engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Some seal on the pump allowed fuel to seep out and drip onto the cam.
They probably don't see this as much with a Diesel HPP because it has better lubricating properties over gasoline. (seal-life, not leaking into the oil)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Myself, and some others have consistently been suffering from fuel diluting the oil.

So far the dealers have thrown up their hands and said to investigate further, I would need to open a case with Hyundai.

I relocated to Florida last month. So far I have noticed with the hotter weather here, the oil level has gone from being above F to right on the F mark where it was when I changed the oil. I will need to do another analysis to see if the levels have gone down to normal due to excess fuel being burned off.

If I find that the oil is still being diluted, I most likely will just go ahead and open a case....depending on the projected time I will have my vehicle sitting at the dealer...

How long did it take to get this fixed? and did they provide you with a loaner?
Had a Saturday 11AM appointment and the service advisor had me in a loaner at 12:30PM. A 2021 Sonata Limited , very quick car that got 35MPG. They wanted the loaner back; met at the dealership to swap out to a Nissan Kicks rental on Monday. Returned the rental at the dealer and had my vehicle back on Thursday at 5PM. So 5 1/2 days total, they had to wait on parts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts