Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 Elantra GT. So glad to find a forum to help with any questions I might have.

I've had the car only 3 days, but I already love it. I'm so impressed with everything Hyundai offers in their cars. My Elantra GT has all the features I've ever wanted in a car -- air conditioning, leather, sunroof, ABS, power windows & locks, fog lights, alloy wheels, 5-speed, cruise control, etc. -- not to mention a TON of room for both passengers and cargo. And to think I got all that for about a third of what comparable cars would go for.

The only thing I would wish for with this car is a little more power. It could definitely stand to be zippier. I haven't looked over all the topics on this site, but I hope there's one that discusses minor performance upgrades.

Anyway, hello to everyone. I hope to learn a lot from you all!

B)

·
Registered
329 Posts
And welcome to you too.

Yeah, its pretty awesome package. Don't forget the heated outside mirrors and six-speaker stereo.

You may be due for a tune-up and you'd likley find a noticeable improvment going for platium spark plus - they also last about twice as long as the regular plugs so they are worth the extra cost.

I've tried switching to mid-grade fuel but I didn't notice a lot of difference -- I don't do that much higway driving.

You should still have a lot of warranty left so you won't be wanting to do any major mods, but a high flow air filter, such as the K&N, will give a bit of a boost - (up to 5%) These aren't cheap but they are washable/reusable and they won't void your warranty.

Considering its just a 2.0 liter engine, Hyundai performs fairly well. 2002 was one of the model years where Hyundai was overstating its horsepower - If the previous owner didn't, you should check out the US class action settlement announced in July - if yours was one of the vehicles covered you may be eligible for part of that - only a few hundred $ max but it might pay for the tune-up. Check with your dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I had thought about a K&N filter...I'll probably give that a try, as well as the platinum plugs.

I'll also look into that law suit. Maybe I can get a piece of that action!

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts