Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Elantra Sport and while I was cleaning the throttle body I noticed the plate doesn’t open as wide as I would imagine- it certainly doesn’t open all the way when giving it gas. Is this normal?? How wide should I expect this to open?

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you're opening it by hand it might just not open as far as when electrically commanded.
If you're pushing the gas pedal with the ignition on but engine not running, it may be programmed to not open fully until the engine reaches a certain rpm.
That's to prevent lugging.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Electric or cable?
Electric

If you're opening it by hand it might just not open as far as when electrically commanded.
If you're pushing the gas pedal with the ignition on but engine not running, it may be programmed to not open fully until the engine reaches a certain rpm.
That's to prevent lugging.

View attachment 449492
This makes sense but I have reeved the engine while it was on and I don’t recall it opening very wide. I’m going to give it another look.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Electric

This makes sense but I have reeved the engine while it was on and I don’t recall it opening very wide. I’m going to give it another look.
Well, revving it while sitting still is not the same as WOT under load. With the cams/fuel injection/ignition timing/etc all being computer controlled it is probable that it only goes wide open under specific conditions. The dealers diagnostic tools likely can exercise the actuating solenoid to it's limits with the engine off. Certainly ain't like the old days where you could get a Rochester Quadrajet to open all the butterflies wide open by a hard blip of the throttle.

(I initially called GM's 4bbl a QuadraFlush but figured there wouldn't be too many here who knew that slang term)

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Then it's probably just what circuitsmith said. If you have a scantool take it for a drive and note the maximum throttle position.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If the throttle weren't opening as far as commanded I'm pretty sure there would be a DTC (check engine light).
The computer expects the throttle position sensor to agree with commanded position.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhhh thanks for the lesson. Makes sense. So was it ok when I was cleaning it to manually open the plates?

Well, revving it while sitting still is not the same as WOT under load. With the cams/fuel injection/ignition timing/etc all being computer controlled it is probable that it only goes wide open under specific conditions. The dealers diagnostic tools likely can exercise the actuating solenoid to it's limits with the engine off. Certainly ain't like the old days where you could get a Rochester Quadrajet to open all the butterflies wide open by a hard blip of the throttle.

(I initially called GM's 4bbl a QuadraFlush but figured there wouldn't be too many here who knew that slang term)

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
I manually open mine on my Gen Coupe. Only way to do it as when the engine is off the gas pedal doesn't do anything.

BTW ~85% on a scan tool is WOT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts