Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure when to RESET the trip computor- When driving at the same speed down the same stretch of road the trip computor will continuously read 19.5 average miles per gallon at approx. 50 mph. This morning I filled the gas tank and reset the trip odometer portion of the computor, only. So, on the way home going down the same stretch of road at the same speed my average mpg displayed 26.4. Did the average MPG readout reset automatically after the fillup? Should I reset the" average MPG" everytime I make a trip(every time I start the vehicle)? Or should I only reset it after a fillup? (automatically resets?). I'd like to be sure I'm getting the most accurate readings (MPG as I'm driving). Thanks, Tedrik

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (venetian-v @ May 23 2010, 02:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325574
the miles per gallon automatically resets any time you get gas
Is that with 2010 or older models as well? I've never noticed my 2007 resetting itself. I do, however, do hand calculations every couple of fill ups just to be sure. It's usually close.

If you do reset the MPG, make sure you do it with a long flat stretch followed by a downhill :thumbsup:

·
Registered
202 Posts
FYI - My 2007 does not. I have to manually reset the MPG readout.

I'd be cool with the auto-reset, as long as it logged the previous reading so I could compare. I guess I'd have to remember to look before I fill!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't care what the manual says, I have owned the car for almost 3 months and my mpg and only the mpg automatically resets when gas is put in the tank, and it doesn't seem to matter how much you put in. all of the other functions have to be manually reset

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Folks, the only thing that "resets" when you fill up is distance-to-empty. Other than noticing a higher level of fuel in the tank, and adjusting DTE accordingly, your Santa Fe doesn't know or care that you have inserted a nozzle in its filler pipe. DTE will also adjust itself according to recent mpg, however average mpg itself does not "reset" unless you push the button.

What you might be noticing is the mileage figures changing as you drive in different conditions. The more often you reset the computer, the more frequently mpg adjusts. Leave it alone for a few days and you'll notice that it stabilizes around one number... even after you fill up.

:57:

·
Registered
77 Posts
In my 2010 I have to manually reset the MPG or L/100KM every time I get gas or you will not get an accurate MPG. The only thing that automatically resets in the distance to empty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't care what you say, mine resets when gas is put in, bottom line. maybe it is different for the USA model vs. the Canadian model. I pull into the gas station and the computer is showing say 22.0 mpg, when I get back into the car after putting gas in the computer shows ----. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match but that's the way it is. maybe yours is different but that's how mine is. I know what I am seeing and I have owned many cars (4 hyundais and 3 Santa Fes).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (venetian-v @ May 25 2010, 10:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326142
tedrik, can you let us know how yours works since you are the only other person in this thread driving a 2010 American model?
The MPG and of course distance to empty appears to have automaticaly reset when I filled the gas tank (I think this to be true as the actual mpg was different on the way home on the same road (as mentioned in my original post). I had probably reset it too often(experimenting) while driving and restarting engine and, based on the varied amount of fuel in the tank when I did these "numerous" resets, I probably confused the computor(not an accurate reading). Anyway, since filling up and leaving it alone I am getting more consistant ave. MPG readings. I will pay closer attention at my next fillup! Of course the true reading is to simply divide the total gallons at fillup into the total miles driven. My first two fillups have indicated 19.5 mpg and 19.2 in mostly local short trips which is pretty good.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (tedrik @ May 25 2010, 02:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326196
The MPG and of course distance to empty automaticaly reset when I filled the gas tank(I know this for a fact as the actual mpg was different on the way home on the same road (as mentioned in my original post). I had probably reset it too often(experimenting) while driving and restarting engine and, based on the varied amount of fuel in the tank when I did these "numerous" resets, I probably confused the computor(not an accurate reading). Anyway, since filling up and leaving it alone I am getting more consistant ave. MPG readings. Of course the true reading is to simply divide the total gallons at fillup into the total miles driven. My first two fillups have indicated 19.5 mpg and 19.2 in mostly local short trips which is pretty good.
MPG is never the same twice. Especially when going in the opposite direction on the same road... unless the road is perfectly flat and there is no wind.

To test the theory that the 2010 American models reset MPG at every fill-up, you need to burn at least a full tank of gas without pushing the reset button. Then fill up, and see what happens as you drive off with your foot to the floor. If it suddenly plummets to 5 mpg, then the computer has reset itself and venetian is right. But if it stays close to 19 mpg, then the computer has not reset and venetian will start caring what other people say.

Stay tuned for the continuing stooooory :whistling:

·
Registered
314 Posts
QUOTE (venetian-v @ May 24 2010, 06:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325969
I don't care what the manual says, I have owned the car for almost 3 months and my mpg and only the mpg automatically resets when gas is put in the tank, and it doesn't seem to matter how much you put in. all of the other functions have to be manually reset
I've got the UK version of the 2010 and what he says is true when fuel is introduced into the tank the mpg is wiped clean, and all other functions remain!!

Gazza!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (gazza!!! @ May 25 2010, 02:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326202
I've got the UK version of the 2010 and what he says is true when fuel is introduced into the tank the mpg is wiped clean, and all other functions remain!!

Gazza!!!
/Your distance to empty must change or the computor is not functional (i.e distance to empty on my santa fe is approx. 290 miles ijusmmediately after a fill-up and of course will gradually reduce as you approach empty). When i went to fill-up my distance to empty reading was 68 miles. Unless I misunderstood you, because it will not show ---- when dte resets.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (tedrik @ May 25 2010, 02:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326213
/Your distance to empty must change or the computor is not functional (i.e distance to empty on my santa fe is approx. 290 miles immediately after a fill-up and of course will gradually reduce as you approach empty). When i went to fill-up my distance to empty reading was 68 miles. Unless I misunderstood you, because it will not show ---- when dte resets.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Maybe there is a difference with US and CDN models. I have done the test that DON67 was explaining. It always remained at about 11.5 L/100KM even with filling the gas tank up. But when I hold the reset button and drive the car right away from the pumps it shows 59.7 L/100KM and then levels out between 8 - 11.5L/100KM.

·
Registered
756 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ May 25 2010, 12:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326199
To test the theory that the 2010 American models reset MPG at every fill-up, you need to burn at least a full tank of gas without pushing the reset button. Then fill up, and see what happens as you drive off with your foot to the floor. If it suddenly plummets to 5 mpg, then the computer has reset itself and venetian is right. But if it stays close to 19 mpg, then the computer has not reset and venetian will start caring what other people say.
Correct, as always :gitara:
On my 07 model, it displays 26 mpg on the freeway only after a fill-up and reset. I do not see a good reason to reset at every fill-up. It makes more sense to average your current range with your historical fuel consumption. That will give you a more realistic and useful estimate IMO.
In fact, my average mpg goes around 19-21 and matches my manual calculation with about 5% accuracy. Not too bad I would say.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts