Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Fe Calligraphy AWD
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the write up to one of the most overlooked bulbs in our vehicles and frankly a no brainer when it comes to keeping the interior cohesive when it comes to a full LED conversion.

As with all interior installations gentleness and patience are key to avoid breaking clips or plastic tabs.

Tools Required:
  • Plastic interior panel removal tool
  • Pliers
  • DE3175 bulb-31mm- (PURCHASE HERE)

STEP 1
Insert the plastic panel removal tool on the side where the ON/OFF switch is located and push.While pushing, gently pry downwards and the housing will come out.

NOTE: You may need to use medium/high force in order to pry the housing out of the headliner.
NOTE 2: Be mindful of the headliner when inserting the tool in to the housing as the headliner material is very delicate.

The goal is to reach and push the metal retainer tab so that the housing comes out

STEP 2
Once the housing is out gently pull it out.

NOTE: There is not much slack on the wire so DO NOT PULL hard.

STEP 3
Disconnect the housing from the harness. This connector has a tab that needs to be pressed in order to release/disconnect the light.

Use both hands and press the tab and pull the housing out at the same time.

STEP4
With the light housing disconnected, you will need to pull out the bulb by pressing on the metal tab (Left side of the photo)

NOTE: It is very important that you pay attention to the orientation of the bulb as it has a small tabs at both ends, that will not let it come out no matter how hard you press on that metal tab. The tab should be vertically positioned.
BAD

GOOD

NOTE 2: You may need to use your plastic panel removal tool in order to gain more leverage and pull the bulb out.

CONTINUED BELOW

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Incandescent vs LED

STEP 5
The LED bulb is slightly longer than the factory bulb, in order for the LED to fit in the housing you will need to slightly bend the metal tab. This will allow the LED bulb to go in with just enough force so that it does not come out or stay loose. With the bulb out of the housing, grab you pliers and slightly bend the metal tab.

NOTE: Do not try installing the LED bulb without slightly bending the metal tab, this will cause the LED to bend and possibly break.
NOTE 2: Start by applying little to medium force during the bending process. You want the LED bulb to go in with some force, as this will prevent it from falling off or causing a bad connection.

STEP 6
Once the bending is done, proceed to install the LED bulb, starting with side opposite to the metal tab, and push down until you hear a CLICK sound. The click sound will mean that the LED bulb is now secure and will not come out.

NOTE: Make sure the LED heat sink is facing you.

How it looks after LED has been properly seated in and LEDs are facing the correct way.

STEP 7
With the bulb installed proceed to connect the housing back.

NOTE: Please mind the orientation of the connector on the vehicle as you may need to turn it to match the orientation of the pins on the housing.

STEP 8
Slide the housing in and press firmly upwards from the side where the ON/OFF switch is located.

STEP 9
Enjoy bright vanity lights

Rob :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo 8DCT HTRAC 20" wheels
1,820 Posts
I guess not a lot of people do it as, if your passenger turns on the mirror light at night, you'll probably be blinded and lose your night vision,

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess not a lot of people do it as, if your passenger turns on the mirror light at night, you'll probably be blinded and lose your night vision,
These LED's while brighter than your regular incandescent bulb, are not the brightest out there. They will not blind the driver.
Like you, I was worried about the LED being too bright for this use case, so I took some time to look for the lowest lumen LED bulb available that will fit this application.

·
Registered
2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy
217 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write up, most useful one I’ve seen. Pics are great too. I did the cargo light last year but hadn’t tackled the vanity lights yet. Your posts on these LED replacements are providing a great tool to the members here, thanks again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the detailed write up, most useful one I’ve seen. Pics are great too. I did the cargo light last year but hadn’t tackled the vanity lights yet. Your posts on these LED replacements are providing a great tool to the members here, thanks again.
Thank you very much for the comment.
This is my way of helping and giving back to the wealth of information I've been able to find on this forum.

Looking forward to making more of these write ups.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'22 SF SEL AWD Stormy Sea Convenience and Premium Packages
19 Posts
Thanks for this robz32. Once again, a great writeup with very detailed photos. I ordered the bulbs and expect to be doing this tomorrow or Wednesday.

You rock!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not a problem, looking forward to seeing your results.
Another successful conversion based on your careful and detailed guidance robz32
Original:
Hood Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Grille

And the new LED...
White Hood Light Automotive design Automotive lighting

Thanks again robz32.

Are there any left to convert? LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2022 Tuscon Limited
7 Posts
Another thing to think of gentlemen, is that the bulbs are probably that warmth to simulate natural sunlight. For example my girlfriend does her makeup by a sunny window so when she goes outside her makeup doesnt look like she did it for a dark shady room. My vanity mirrors are 80% used for doing makeup so thats probably why they arent bright white led's too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another thing to think of gentlemen, is that the bulbs are probably that warmth to simulate natural sunlight. For example my girlfriend does her makeup by a sunny window so when she goes outside her makeup doesnt look like she did it for a dark shady room. My vanity mirrors are 80% used for doing makeup so thats probably why they arent bright white led's too.
Thanks, but not an issue at all for my situation. Brightness is more important and the included bulb was nowhere near the light of a sunny window. Maybe on a very overcast day...LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here you go, for those looking to simulate natural sunlight.

P.S the reason the vanity lights are incandescent and not LEDs is due to cost cutting measures and not because they are simulating natural sunlight. My Stinger has LEDs from the factory as do many other luxury vehicles.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
577 Posts
Great very detailed instructions,
Recently installed these LED bulbs in my N Line vanity light assemblies. Amazon.com: Alla Lighting DE3022 DE3175 LED Bulb 31mm CAN-BUS Festoon DE3021 3175 6428, 6000K Xenon White 3030 SMD Interior Dome, Map, Trunk, Step Courtesy Lights for Cars, Trucks : Automotive
Used this tool to remove the light assembly from the headliner: Amazon.com: OTUAYAUTO Ergonomic Plastic Fastener Remover - Universal Automotive Clip Removal Tool for Cars, Trucks, SUVs, ATVs and All Vehicles : Automotive
No need to completely remove the assembly or bend the metal tab as there was sufficient wiring and the LED bulb snapped in very easily.

·
Registered
'22 Calli FWD Portofino Gray/black int.
79 Posts
Here you go, for those looking to simulate natural light.

P.S the reason the vanity lights are incandescent and not LEDs is due to cost cutting measures and not because they are simulating natural sunlight. My Stinger has LEDs from the factory as do many other luxury vehicles.
Thanks again, I appreciate the leg work, and pics so it's easy peezy for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hey guys, do any of the bulbs need to be CANbus? Or better buy all of them that way, to avoid any potential issues? I picked up the SF yesterday, already ordered the Curt hitch and wire harness, and need to order the rest of the crap. Next is the OEM stuff, like cargo cover, cargo mat, wheel locks, and mud guards. Then all 4 LED locations for an all-LED vehicle, then tint the front windows, and other inexpensive cosmetic crap. Already got the HeatShield windshield sun protector, since it's 100 here already. Thank you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, do any of the bulbs need to be CANbus? Or better buy all of them that way, to avoid any potential issues? I picked up the SF yesterday, already ordered the Curt hitch and wire harness, and need to order the rest of the crap. Next is the OEM stuff, like cargo cover, cargo mat, wheel locks, and mud guards. Then all 4 LED locations for an all-LED vehicle, then tint the front windows, and other inexpensive cosmetic crap. Already got the HeatShield windshield sun protector, since it's 100 here already. Thank you.
No need for these bulbs to be CANbus compatible. I believe the exterior ones are CANbus compatible.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I already ordered exactly the ones you posted, so hope you chose the right ones. Ha ha. Should get them next Friday. Thank you again for posting that :).

Reactions: robz32

·
Registered
2023 Genesis GV70 2.5T Sport Prestige, 2022 Santa Fe Caligraphy 2.5T
83 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I tried to install 31mm LEDa in my 2022 Santa Fe Calligraphy but I wasn't able to get it done. I would have had to bend the contacts more than your picture shows.
Has anyone tried to use 28mm or 29mm LEDs such as this one?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts