Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TPMS light came on when the spare tire was low on air so I filled it. It's been a while and I drove a lot but the light is still on. Is there a way to manually turn it off?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
If it was the spare it sounds like the only way to have the tire actually communicate with the BCM is to put the tire on and drive it so it spins and activates the sensor.
Either that, or there are scan tools that have an extra piece that you place near the valve stem to get the BCM to relearn where eat tire is at.
So it sounds like these tools also activate the in-tire sensor without the need for it to spin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just read the manual and it says spare tire has no connection to TPMS. I wonder what set this off because all 4 tires had proper PSI. I've driven it quite a bit too. Any other method besides the scanning too?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just read the manual and it says spare tire has no connection to TPMS. I wonder what set this off because all 4 tires had proper PSI. I've driven it quite a bit too. Any other method besides the scanning too?
Does the light came on when starting the car, a steady solid light? Or does the light flash for a few seconds and then stay on?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does the light came on when starting the car, a steady solid light? Or does the light flash for a few seconds and then stay on?
Also the car should tell you which tire is triggering the light? What are the readouts for each tire? It should highlight the specific tire causing the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also the car should tell you which tire is triggering the light? What are the readouts for each tire? It should highlight the specific tire causing the issue.
I don't think this car has the function where it shows the PSI of each tire. However I have a very accurate tire pressure reader and all 4 are at 34psi.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Flashes for a few sec then stays on.
If it flashes and then stays on, usually that means a sensor is malfunctioning and not low pressure.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't think this car has the function where it shows the PSI of each tire. However I have a very accurate tire pressure reader and all 4 are at 34psi.
My 2017 gives an exact readout of all 4 tires, I'd be surprised if a 2018 does not have that function. Push the page/folder button on the steering wheel 4 times.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,784 Posts
OP, you said the TPMS light came on when the spare tire was low. Were you driving on the donut spare? If you were it doesn't have a TPMS sensor in it so the light will stay on until you repair / replace your regular tire and wheel.

As 2424Goldie posted a flashing TPMS and then on is usually a bad sensor. I thought all of the LF had the TPMS screen that shows all 4 tires and their pressures. If so find the one that is flashing or not reading a true pressure. The sensors are not much if purchased aftermarket or some tire stores are priced fairly to provide one and replace it.
They are available on EBay less than $ 20 each or 4 for less than $50 2017 sonata TPMS sensor | eBay
From Hyundai they are on line they are $98 each (full price from the local dealer is $ 130) 2015-2021 Hyundai Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensor 52933-C1100 | Delray Hyundai Parts

Any tire shop will replace one for $ 20-25 labor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My 2017 gives an exact readout of all 4 tires, I'd be surprised if a 2018 does not have that function. Push the page/folder button on the steering wheel 4 times.
I'll try it again but I was not able to find it. Manual doesn't show this either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP, you said the TPMS light came on when the spare tire was low. Were you driving on the donut spare? If you were it doesn't have a TPMS sensor in it so the light will stay on until you repair / replace your regular tire and wheel.

As 2424Goldie posted a flashing TPMS and then on is usually a bad sensor. I thought all of the LF had the TPMS screen that shows all 4 tires and their pressures. If so find the one that is flashing or not reading a true pressure. The sensors are not much if purchased aftermarket or some tire stores are priced fairly to provide one and replace it.
They are available on EBay less than $ 20 each or 4 for less than $50 2017 sonata TPMS sensor | eBay
From Hyundai they are on line they are $98 each (full price from the local dealer is $ 130) 2015-2021 Hyundai Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensor 52933-C1100 | Delray Hyundai Parts

Any tire shop will replace one for $ 20-25 labor
Yeah I was wrong about that. My spare is the donut and it does not have the sensor.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'll try it again but I was not able to find it. Manual doesn't show this either.
If I recall correctly, it’s in the service menu where you see the distance and time to the next oil change, you just have to scroll up or down to see it

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,784 Posts
2424Goldie is correct. it is displayed in the LED window between the speedometer and Tachometer. Press the button on the right side of steering wheel that has the stacked files/papers logo. it will scroll to either TPMS (tire pressure or Oil change. If oil change comes up then push on the little flip switch on the right side of the steering wheel and it will go between tire pressure and oil change / service

1 - 15 of 15 Posts