Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stereo will power off after 10mins or so (even if the ignition button is on ACC or Power position), and the radio screen shows a battery discharge warning (this goes on before the power gets cut off).

Is there a way to keep the stereo power on even with the engine off? The ignition button is already on ACC or Power (without engine on) and the system still cuts off the power after 10mins or so...

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,695 Posts
Yeah there probably is some hack you could do to bypass the battery saving electronics but then the battery would end up being too discharged to start the engine, so it's probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah there probably is some hack you could do to bypass the battery saving electronics but then the battery would end up being too discharged to start the engine, so it's probably not a good idea.
Of all the makes/cars that I have seen or driven, this is the only car or make that doesn't allow to use stereo with the engine off, even cheap cars back from 20-30 years ago had such option.

I don't understand how a stereo can seriously drain off that much of battery power, plus the screen can turn off while the stereo is still on so it doesn't take up that much of power (if it really does, which i doubt it in these days of modern and energy efficient display)

·
Registered
14,695 Posts
Of all the makes/cars that I have seen or driven, this is the only car or make that doesn't allow to use stereo with the engine off
It's certainly not a feature that is unique to Hyundai. A lot of modern cars work like this.

moko said:
even cheap cars back from 20-30 years ago had such option.
Cheap cars from 20-30 years ago didn't have all the microprocessors monitoring the battery voltage that modern cars have...welcome to the 21st Century.

moko said:
I don't understand how a stereo can seriously drain off that much of battery power, plus the screen can turn off while the stereo is still on so it doesn't take up that much of power (if it really does, which i doubt it in these days of modern and energy efficient display)
It probably doesn't draw that much more power from the battery than the radios of those cars from 20-30 years ago, but a modern car has a lot of other electronics that want they're share of the battery power too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find this battery warning issued very annoying. I like to just sit in the car and listen to the outstanding sound system that comes with my Santa Fe Limited, but I can't do that with that beep going off every few minutes. That beep tone is at the same level as the music playing so it definitely makes it impossible to enjoy whatever is being played.This is incredibly annoying! Also, it appears that the battery that comes with this vehicle is somewhat smaller than a normal car battery I am thinking that this company made some unfortunate compromises when designing the electrical system of this vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will be letting others know via the car review sites of this problem. If I had known about this issue before I purchased this vehicle I would not have purchased it. This situation is unacceptable in my opinion! this was a fairly expensive car and I am not looking forward to the next few years not being able to listen to the sound system without the engine running!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I will be letting others know via the car review sites of this problem. If I had known about this issue before I purchased this vehicle I would not have purchased it. This situation is unacceptable in my opinion! this was a fairly expensive car and I am not looking forward to the next few years not being able to listen to the sound system without the engine running!
Does it do that on ACC?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is this just happening on the newest models? My 2012 w/Tech allows you to press the Start button either once or twice to put the car in ACC or ON (do NOT depress the brake pedal or you will turn the vehicle on) and listen to the radio. Yes, every several minutes you get a little chime and warning to conserve the battery, but I have gone well past 10 minutes and the car does not automatically shut off.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Is this just happening on the newest models? My 2012 w/Tech allows you to press the Start button either once or twice to put the car in ACC or ON (do NOT depress the brake pedal or you will turn the vehicle on) and listen to the radio. Yes, every several minutes you get a little chime and warning to conserve the battery, but I have gone well past 10 minutes and the car does not automatically shut off.
Same with my 2014.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
49 Posts
I have a 2015 Sonata.

Press Setup, then Sound. Press on Beep to disable the beep. This turns off the beep for all stereo stuff but now I listen to my stereo in Acc mode for 60 minutes no problem. I turn off the display with the Disp button by the CD slot.

I still get the visual battery discharge warning every minute, but no audio warning.

Hope this helps for future people googling this problem

Rob

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I have a 2015 Sonata.

Press Setup, then Sound. Press on Beep to disable the beep. This turns off the beep for all stereo stuff but now I listen to my stereo in Acc mode for 60 minutes no problem. I turn off the display with the Disp button by the CD slot.

I still get the visual battery discharge warning every minute, but no audio warning.

Hope this helps for future people googling this problem

Rob
Good solution maybe but the folks that are bothered by this will still be bothered by the visual. Curious - you sit in your car for more than an hour with the engine off?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
49 Posts
4132794 said:
Good solution maybe but the folks that are bothered by this will still be bothered by the visual. Curious - you sit in your car for more than an hour with the engine off?
Our kids attend school about 30 minutes away and if I'm in that area around end of school day it's not worth driving home then back. But the longest I've ever sat there is about 1 hour, it's usually only 30 minutes.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Glad a fix was found for this.

What is probably happening is not that the radio is draining power, but with the radio on, the other computers in the car don't go into sleep mode (typically 10 minutes or so after all power draw ceases).

If that didn't work, you could probably have re-wired the radio to the battery or a different fuse with an add-a-circuit and avoided it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Our kids attend school about 30 minutes away and if I'm in that area around end of school day it's not worth driving home then back. But the longest I've ever sat there is about 1 hour, it's usually only 30 minutes.
Well, we all have our reasons for wanting to sit and listen to the radio, but at least there's a fix to stop the beep while you are listening. The engineers at Hyundai were probably just trying to avoid having the vehicle draw down the battery to the point you couldn't start or possibly damage a system.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

·
Registered
14,695 Posts
it will drain some modern cars overnight b/c the OTHER electronics never enter low-power mode.
But nobody on this thread is actually complaining about a battery drain problem. They're just complaining about the warning chime interrupting the tunes on the radio. They know when they're sitting in the car with the radio on that the battery is being drained. They just don't want to be reminded about it every 5 mins.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
after so many talks still no solution to this..

turning off the beep does not do anything, the power will still get cut off after 10 minutes which means your stereo will power off after 10minutes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts