Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the ABS, Traction Control, Hill Decent lights on. When this first started they would be on about 50% of the time. Now they are on all the time. I'm fairly certain it's one or more bad wheel speed sensors. Any advice on how to test the wheel speed sensors? I saw a Kia youtube video where an ohm meter was used to check the resistance across the terminals on the wheel speed sensor plug. I've also seen other videos where the voltage was checked across the terminals as the the tire was rotated.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,371 Posts
Any advice on how to test the wheel speed sensors?
Realistically, you can't. At least it's not a simple case of connecting a multi meter across the terminals to measure the resistance or the output voltage. You could do that on older cars that were fitted with passive VRS sensors. Modern cars have electronic active sensors. You could connect a voltmeter across the two terminals of the sensor's harness connector to check the sensor wiring though. You should get 12V with the meter connected across the harness connector. If not one of the wires is probably open circuit/broken.

Have you had the ABS module scanned to retrieve the trouble code that has been logged? That will give you a pretty good clue about where the fault lies.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Realistically, you can't. At least it's not a simple case of connecting a multi meter across the terminals to measure the resistance or the output voltage. You could do that on older cars that were fitted with passive VRS sensors. Modern cars have electronic active sensors. You could connect a voltmeter across the two terminals of the sensor's harness connector to check the sensor wiring though. You should get 12V with the meter connected across the harness connector. If not one of the wires is probably open circuit/broken.

Have you had the ABS module scanned to retrieve the trouble code that has been logged? That will give you a pretty good clue about where the fault lies.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated
Thanks for the feedback. I have not had it scanned. I was hoping to self diagnosis the issue without having to interact face to face with any service facility. I did try the terminal ohm meter test but got no reading. The multimeter I was using was quite old so it may have been faulty. I was hoping since the kia video was for a 2013 and my Santa Fe is also a 2013, I could test it the same way. So I think I will have to find a shop that will scan the ABS module. I know if I take it to the dealer they will charge diagnostic time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts