Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently got a 2018 base Sonata, love it, exceptional car especially for the price.

Trying to take the front bracket off. I undid all the screws and can bend the sides out, but the center of the bracket has what looks like two clips, and they cling onto that thing like me with a million dollar briefcase.

It SEEMS like it’s screwed into the center, that’s how strongly it’s in there, but there are no screw holes at said center.

If I want to put every ounce of my strength into it, it seems it’ll break the grille slats before the bracket actually comes out.

Any tips?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This is the best I have on me, until I’m at the car. As you can (hopefully) see, the screws are all out. It’s those center clips or whatever they are, holding it tightly in place. I can yank it as hard as I can, but when I even start to, the grill gets pulled so hard, I’m afraid of snapping it. Dunno what they were thinking.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny enough, now that I look at it, I notice that those “clips” aren’t aligned with any of the slats. So they in fact are not actually clipped into a slat. WTF are they hanging onto? Anyone know how it looks behind the plate?

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,602 Posts
If it is like the 2015-2017 the grill has to be removed to get the emblems off without breaking them.

You could carefully break or cut away the plate holder until you get to the area where the clip or clips are and then break or cut it off. That is basically how you have to get the "H" off the grill in earlier models unless you remove the grille to get to the back.

I dont have a 2018 but on the 2015-2017 to remove and replace the bumper cover and grille is a 30 -60 minute job depending on your skill set, only needs a phillips screwdriver and 10mm socket

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is like the 2015-2017 the grill has to be removed to get the emblems off without breaking them.

You could carefully break or cut away the plate holder until you get to the area where the clip or clips are and then break or cut it off. That is basically how you have to get the "H" off the grill in earlier models unless you remove the grille to get to the back.

I dont have a 2018 but on the 2015-2017 to remove and replace the bumper cover and grille is a 30 -60 minute job depending on your skill set, only needs a phillips screwdriver and 10mm socket
Thanks. Maybe I’ll do that, or just take it to the dealer when convenient. Any particular tool to recommend to cut away the plate holder? Maybe large garden scissors or something (which I don’t have).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.