Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I forgot I had only shared this info. with S-Coupe owners! :-

Click here

Cheers,
Nick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just got a 1991 hyundai has 47.000 miles on it...it boggs down then if you turn key off restart it runs fine for awhile...can anyone help???

·
Registered
2 Posts
oh i forgot on 10991 hyundai excell 1.5 that boggs down then then turn key off then turn key back on restart runs fine 4 awhile..then dose it again...can anyone help this old man...

not2 smart.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Nick,

That's interesting information. I was curious about this statement:

Hyundai cars are designed to be driven in all areas of the world, by people of all ages and levels of experience and sophistication. They are set to operate at all altitudes and temperatures and to use fuels of varying octane-rating and purity.
I was wondering if that includes Brazil and E85 and E100 fuels.

E85 is coming to town, so I've been studying about the ECU and E85 fuels. The $100 add-on kits address the AFR in closed-loop mode, but they don't address it in WOT. They also don't address advancing the timing to take advantage of the higher octane.

So I was wondering if it was possible to get an ECU from a flex-fuel Accent in Brazil, if there is such a thing. I don't even know if Hyundai sold Accents in Brazil, and if they did, if they were flex-fuel compatible. I doubt it though, since the Wikipedia article on Brazil and ethanol says the first flex-fuel vehicle was introduced in 2003.

Any ideas about an ECU for this purpose? I saw a thread on an EVO forum using an ethanol percentage sensor with Megasquirt to interpolate between gasoline and ethanol ECU maps, but that is way over my head!

I've also seen some threads on running E85 on cars that are only intended for gasoline. Many say that any car made after 1990 can do it, and I've seen a video about a tear-down of a Chevy Tahoe run on E85 for 100,000 miles with no ethanol damage at all.

The main issue I've seen is lean running at WOT since the ECU is running off gasoline maps instead of closed-loop mode. But I've seen comments that the Accent is programmed rich anyway. I might just install a CHT and see if head temps go over the 400 degree danger zone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should correct myself. The add-on kits presumably add mixture at WOT because they add to the injector pulse.

What I was thinking of and meant to say is that if running E85 on a car without any modifications, WOT is out of closed loop mode, and so fuel is delivered by the ECU map instead of being modified by LTFT and STFT via HO2 feedback. There is an offset because ethanol burns cooler, so that is what I hope to check with a CHT.

I'm hoping that between the Accent's characteristically rich tuning and ethanol's lower burn temp that I can get away with running E85 without modification. I just saw a David Blume video in which he claims that it is safe to run 50% E85, so we will see. While I wait for E85, I'll start experimenting with E20 which has already arrived.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts