Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey all.

I think both methods are just as good as eachother

1. Discoinnect the Earth/Ground lead. (Guaruntees the power is out and ECU is reset)
2. Remove ECU Fuse. (resets ECU function without losing Radio stations/clock etc)

Where is the ECU fuse!

Images please so all users can see...

Thanks. :liebe011:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not to offend anyone but this has to be fairly straight forward.
We're talking about 1 make and model of car.

Earth/Mass/Negative in this case will not matter.

To differentiate between Earth and Live on the S-Coupe; the LIVE power lead will have a small fuse box attched to it.

I have reset my ECU last week and the car is running much more smoother.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Santa Fe will not pass NJ state inspection as the catalytic converter and evaporative systems showed "not ready" during time of inspection. After a few repairs (timing and alternator) the system was still "not ready." The dealer finally diagnosed the problem as a bad ECU and mass air flow sensor. I located a salvage ECU from the same make, model, production year, etc and replaced the mass air flow sensor. I tried to get it inspected again today and the system is still in "not ready" status--but in addition to the catalytic converter and evaporative systems, the oxygen sensor system is now showing "not ready." The vehicle is running perfect now--just not able to get it to pass inspection.
ECU and mass air flow sensor installled yesterday. Does the salvaged ECU need to be programmed or will a drive cycle be sufficient? Will resetting the ECU solve this problem or should I bite the bullet and take it to the dealer to get it programmed?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (Aliya @ Jul 8 2009, 04:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=247466
My Santa Fe will not pass NJ state inspection as the catalytic converter and evaporative systems showed "not ready" during time of inspection. After a few repairs (timing and alternator) the system was still "not ready." The dealer finally diagnosed the problem as a bad ECU and mass air flow sensor. I located a salvage ECU from the same make, model, production year, etc and replaced the mass air flow sensor. I tried to get it inspected again today and the system is still in "not ready" status--but in addition to the catalytic converter and evaporative systems, the oxygen sensor system is now showing "not ready." The vehicle is running perfect now--just not able to get it to pass inspection.
ECU and mass air flow sensor installled yesterday. Does the salvaged ECU need to be programmed or will a drive cycle be sufficient? Will resetting the ECU solve this problem or should I bite the bullet and take it to the dealer to get it programmed?

You should start a new thread, as this is the Scoupe forum, and has little similarity to your Santa Fe.

There is a run in period to reset the system, did your dealer tell you that? There is a procedure for it. I could probably get it for you, but you neglected to tell me what year and size engine you have.

ECU is already "programmed". You have to get the right one. Resetting the ECU might work, but there is a procedure for the run in period.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My new x reg coupe se, two litre, passed the mot! I have now realised from talking with the old owner that the ecu has been chipped, not sure what stage! And it has a full powerflow exhaust, the person who did all this i would love to talk to! As i would kno whats been done! Doin this ecu reset, will it effect the chipped state of the ecu? I also have an cone air filter and heat shield i want to put on it in place of the standard air box that was re fitted by the old owner, but lookin at the air box, it has a wire going to it with like a probe or sensor going into a hole above the actual air filter, on the side of the air box, what would i do with this sensor if i fitted a cone?! :-\

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There
I would just like to mention this worked as good as it was written.
Thanks a Million
Saved me a few Pounds
Norman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks man you made me feel happy :)

I'm living in Kurdistan region, here our gasoline is not good, so the engine of my car is knocking a lot, and stops another time, I was feeling that I have a problem with my car, and my car wasn't acting like earlier !!

but I think your idea will solve my problem :) Thanks a lot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey , thanks for that great article, I've got a question to ask, is there a relation with pinging and knocking engine, my car engine is knocking time and it dose not another time ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
ecu reset

Why do Hyundai car mechanics and garages not tell you this is possible. Since 2005 my car has been having trouble suddenly shutting dow, in the fast lane or equally when driving up a hill or in innercity traffic jams. Why don't they tell?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sc lategan

i wrote this article a few years ago in an attempt to dispel the myth that it is not possible to alter the engine control unit`s factory settings.

In fact the simple procedure outlined below should be performed after every performance mod. (such as fitting a cold air intake) & can even be of benefit if you`ve spent the whole week stuck in commuter traffic jams & want to restore your cars performance for the weekend!.

Resetting your ecu (engine control unit)
hyundai cars are designed to be driven in all areas of the world, by people of all ages and levels of experience and sophistication. They are set to operate at all altitudes and temperatures and to use fuels of varying octane-rating and purity.
Unsurprisingly, the electronic engine control unit of your vehicle has been pre-set to a `one-size-fits-all` state of tune. Whilst the ecu has the capacity to adapt to the owners driving-style to a certain degree, the base-settings are extremely conservative and hyundai's are famously set to run rich!

Most owners would naturally suppose that this situation is something over which they have no control, this is not the case.
This document will instruct any owner on how to change the ecu settings of their car, without the alterations being detectable by the dealership, the insurance company, or indeed having any effect on the vehicle's warranty.
The operations described are recommended as a first step after taking over ownership of the car, after carrying out any performance modifications, or after any temporary change in the way the vehicle has been used ( i.e. City-bound use, towing etc.).

Firstly bring the car to normal operating temperature by driving for 15 minutes or so.
Now open the bonnet and disconnect the earth lead from the battery, ensure this is not touching any part of the bodywork - insulate if necessary - and wait 5 minutes.
Next depress the foot brake for 20 seconds - this will completely discharge the ecu's capacitors via the brake lights.
The next step (to be carried out immediately, while the engine is still warmed-up) is to carefully re-connect the battery earth lead, close the bonnet and now drive the car in a spirited fashion (accelerating rapidly through the gears, full-throttle straights etc. Etc.) for a full 30 minutes. Try to choose a quiet time on the roads for this, (i.e. Early on a sunday morning!).

This period of driving will `re-educate` your ecu into adopting more aggressive timing curves and alter the fuelling to match. It will also allow the unit to recognise any modifications you have made and to react accordingly.
If, on the other hand, you are not interested in outright performance, but are more concerned with economy and flexibility, use your normal driving style during this 30-minute run!.

Over time, the ecu will slowly revert to the factory settings......especially if it is not being driven `spiritedly` on a regular basis.
Accordingly, many owners tend to do this reset monthly, or before a track day or even a long run.

Cheers,
nick. :)
i have a hyundai sonata 1998 model excellent condition - but now gearbox problems- car is at gearbox center for gearbox reconditioning. This has been done but still does not change gear when it should, i have been told it is the ecu by the gearbox people but they cannot access the ecu and are going to try an ecu from another sonata like mine - is this normal and why can they not access the ecu???? I paid them a lot of money and still have no car 6 weeks later - who can access this ecu - the agent claims they cant --- where to now?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, any comment on the quality of ECU for Hyundai Accent 2010 below models? I am planning to get a second hand Hyundai accent CRDI soon.
And how can I know the condition of the ECU/CRDI? How can I take care of it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I turn my ignition on the imoblise light stays on for 30 seconds and my cart won't start
Would this ave anything to do with the imblise staying on help my car is a Hyundai accent GLS 1.5 year 2000

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm trying to reset my ECU on my Hyundai sonata 2014 to reset the adaptive learning automatic transmission. My decelerating when coasting hasn't been smooth since I bought the car. The last person that owned my car was a highway driver, I drive a lot through residential areas, So my theory is the different driving modes are causing these shifting points to be somewhat jerky. So at least I want to try and reset it. If it's as easy as disconnecting the battery I'd give it a shot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I am facing a problem with my Verna Car. When Ever I fill Diesel in the car my the digital information for Average per Litre is set to 0.00 Km/l. The Service centre team changed the sender unit but no luck.

Has anybody faced a similar problem.

Please reply.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wrote this article a few years ago in an attempt to dispel the myth that it is not possible to alter the engine control unit`s factory settings.

In fact the simple procedure outlined below should be performed after every performance mod. (such as fitting a cold air intake) & can even be of benefit if you`ve spent the whole week stuck in commuter traffic jams & want to restore your cars performance for the weekend!.

Resetting Your ECU (Engine Control Unit)
Hyundai cars are designed to be driven in all areas of the world, by people of all ages and levels of experience and sophistication. They are set to operate at all altitudes and temperatures and to use fuels of varying octane-rating and purity.
Unsurprisingly, the electronic engine control unit of your vehicle has been pre-set to a `one-size-fits-all` state of tune. Whilst the ECU has the capacity to adapt to the owners driving-style to a certain degree, the base-settings are extremely conservative and Hyundai's are famously set to run rich!

Most owners would naturally suppose that this situation is something over which they have no control, this is not the case.
This document will instruct any owner on how to change the ECU settings of their car, without the alterations being detectable by the Dealership, the Insurance Company, or indeed having any effect on the vehicle's warranty.
The operations described are recommended as a first step after taking over ownership of the car, after carrying out any performance modifications, or after any temporary change in the way the vehicle has been used ( i.e. city-bound use, towing etc.).

Firstly bring the car to normal operating temperature by driving for 15 minutes or so.
Now open the bonnet and disconnect the earth lead from the battery, ensure this is not touching any part of the bodywork - insulate if necessary - and wait 5 minutes.
Next depress the foot brake for 20 seconds - this will completely discharge the ECU's capacitors via the brake lights.
The next step (to be carried out immediately, while the engine is still warmed-up) is to carefully re-connect the battery earth lead, close the bonnet and now drive the car in a spirited fashion (accelerating rapidly through the gears, full-throttle straights etc. etc.) for a full 30 minutes. Try to choose a quiet time on the roads for this, (i.e. early on a Sunday morning!).

This period of driving will `re-educate` your ECU into adopting more aggressive timing curves and alter the fuelling to match. It will also allow the unit to recognise any modifications you have made and to react accordingly.
If, on the other hand, you are not interested in outright performance, but are more concerned with economy and flexibility, use your normal driving style during this 30-minute run!.

Over time, the ECU will slowly revert to the factory settings......especially if it is not being driven `spiritedly` on a regular basis.
Accordingly, many owners tend to do this reset monthly, or before a track day or even a long run.

Cheers,
Nick. :)
I had my Aamco guy do this and several computer checks but the PCM code shows a malfunction. Should get a new computer or buy one off Ebay or something. Ineed to retest for my smog cert.

·
Registered
11 Posts
pls I have a Hyundai accent 2007, I guess the brain box is faulty, the engine will crank fan roll etc but won't start at all, can dis reset work for it at all pls assist bcus I just bought the car from a company

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had my Aamco guy do this and several computer checks but the PCM code shows a malfunction. Should get a new computer or buy one off Ebay or something. Ineed to retest for my smog cert.
It is unlikely that the problem with your car is a bad PCM. I recommend that you post a new thread on the forum for your model car with the trouble code (in Pxxxx format such as P0304) for help in solving the problem that is causing the trouble code. Good luck :). Please fill in the info about your car, it helps if we know what kind of car you have!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts