Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I found some threads about changing the license plate light on a 2009 Hyundai Accent and all of them involved removing the plastic trim inside of the hatch. However, I saw a few people mention that they broke a few plastic clips and I was wondering if anybody had the order-of-removal down "pat" before I try it myself (I want to prevent breaking any clips).

Also, this ( hyundai-forums.com/184-mc-2006-2011-accent/94825-2009-accent-replacement-bulbs.html ) thread says that the replacement lights for the license plate are 168 or 168LL, but other posters say that they replaced them with white lights. What code are they?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
You take the lenses out from outside the car. The 168 and 168LL (long life, dimmer) are white. They are bayonet type bulbs of which there are many different wattages. These will all fit.

Trade# Volts Watts Amps Avg. CP Life
161 14.0 2.66 0.19 1 4000
158 14.0 3.36 0.24 2 3000
194 14.0 3.78 0.27 2 2500
192 14.0 4.62 0.33 3 2000
168 14.0 4.90 0.35 3 1500

1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.
2. Detach the license lamp lens (A) from the trunk lid panel with a flat-tip screwdriver.

3. Replace the bulb.
4. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
On the hatchback the lenses are held on by philips screws that are not easily accessible with the trim over the handle. The only way to remove that trim is to remove all the interior trim on the inside of the door since it is bolted onto the rear hatch.

cag805, you should be able to see how the panels overlap, just pull off the panels that are overtop of the others first.

there are 4 piece if I remember correct, one across the top of the window, 1 on each side, and the one large piece in the center of the door that is also held on by screws.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I have a hatchback. So I went out and looked. It seems to me I took off the plastic trim that covers the lights and the latch handle this summer to lube the latching part up. I can't remember but it only looks like it is held on by two screws then some clips.

Or you could use one of those short screwdriver bits and a ratcheting wrench to get in there for the screws on the lights themselves.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Or you could use one of those short screwdriver bits and a ratcheting wrench to get in there for the screws on the lights themselves.
Yep, you sure could. My initial instinct though was it would still be a heck of a lot faster to just take out the interior trim then try to work slowly and carefully in too small of a space. :)

the latch cover is bolted on through the hatch on either end. at least on my car. or maybe we are talking about 2 different parts. lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts