Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard many horror stories on the net about removing the alternator from the 2002 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 liter engine. I just fixed mine and it wasn't that bad of a job to do. Here are my own personal step by step instructions for removing this pesky little alternator from the engine bay. First, don't try to take off the drive axle to get it out. That is completely unnecessary. 2nd of all, don't try to take it out from the top. There's too much electrical stuff to deal with and you'll just open another can of worms you don't want to open. So here goes with the most logical thing to do on this job.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Take the front passenger tire off.

Remove the small splash shield inside the wheel well thus exposing your alternator and belt. Also remove the splash shields underneath the vehicle on either side of the exhaust pipe for more room to work.

Now let's do some alternator stuff. Start by loosening the belt tensioner that is integrated with the top bolt of the alternator. Just get it kinda loose to start. Then loosen the top bolt. Now loosen the lower alternator bolt and nut. The bolt sits in it own saddle on the other side of the alternator so you just need a 14 mm socket or wrench for the nut. The top bolt and tensioner are both 12 mm. Disconnect the wires from the alternator. One pulls out and the other comes off with a socket or wrench. Now go back to the tensioner and get it good and loose so you can remove the belt off the alternator pulley. While you're at it, check that belt and make sure you don't need a new one. Now remove the top bolt and the lower bolt completely.

Now, you have to disconnect the exhaust pipe from the intake manifold. That's only three 17 mm nuts. There are also two 15 mm bolts to remove from the brace. Once you have those off, remove the rubber holders that help support the rest of the pipe. Just hit the metal ends with WD-40 and the rubber will slide right off of there.

Now the forward part of the exhaust pipe should be laying on the ground. At this time make sure your wheels are turned all the way to the right. You should now have just enough room to wiggle out the old alternator and stick the new one in. It takes just a little finesse but not much at all.

That's it. Stick the new alternator in there and mount it up. Also don't forget to re-adjust the tensioner so your belt doesn't fall off. Re-attach the the exhaust pipe to the manifold and hook the rubber supports back on. If you no longer have these factory rubber supports, just use a coat hanger and rig it up.

That's all I got! Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this post! The alternator in my 2002 Sonata 2.4L died today :(

Curious how much time this took start to finish. Do you recall approx how much time all this work took you?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts