Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove the trim around my OEM stereo so I can measure out the interior dimensions. Everything I find online says to undo the clips holding the trim in place. My trim is smooth and clip-less in the front. It is stiff and rigid so I can't simply push down on it to reveal any clips. What am I missing? How do I remove this thing to look at the stereo mounts?

BTW, I am thinking of getting a Boss 865DBI unit so I can use my 4th gen iPod.

-- Boris

·
Registered
265 Posts
QUOTE (Powered by PopTarts @ Nov 9 2010, 02:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370097
I would like to remove the trim around my OEM stereo so I can measure out the interior dimensions. Everything I find online says to undo the clips holding the trim in place. My trim is smooth and clip-less in the front. It is stiff and rigid so I can't simply push down on it to reveal any clips. What am I missing? How do I remove this thing to look at the stereo mounts?

BTW, I am thinking of getting a Boss 865DBI unit so I can use my 4th gen iPod.

-- Boris
Put a screw driver under it and pry up to release the clips. I usually start @ the 4 o'clock position pry it up once that clip pops usually I have enhough to put my fingers behind to pull the rest of the bezel off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used a narrow putty knife (2 inch wide) instead of a screwdriver. Put some masking tape on whatever you're going to jam in there to avoid marking your dash up.

Just put it in, pry GENTLY, and move around lifting it out. Shouldn't take too much pressure. Use something skinny.

I've taken mine out about 6 times (stereo install, and changed the clock illumination to red). No marks at all.

·
1,565 Posts
I pull it out by sticking my fingers through the vents, but then I have fingers like a 4 year old girl. :grin:

The clips are on the inside, just pry and pull and they will come off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, that's the radio! It's major winning point to me is having the internal iPod dock. Fusion and Dual make an iPod stereo too but the iPod is external and there's is only 1/2 half height. I want to open up the stereo space and see how much room I have. All the stereo fit guides online always return 1/2 half height stereos. I can't believe that no double height units will fit!

I'm just afraid that I'm going to break the trim. Oh well... I suppose that will be a chance to upgrade to the shiny metal version. :)

-- Boris

·
Super Moderator
3,760 Posts
I suspect the reason a lot of sites said double-DIN radios wouldn't fit was due to the lack of an install kit to fill in the gaps.  You can make it work without the kit, but the OEM radio size is larger than double-DIN so you'll have gaps unless you come up with a DIY solution.  A double-DIN dash kit wasn't available until last year, IIRC.  

The kit I have is a Metra 95-7321, fits perfect with my double-DIN Eclipse.  

Only problem I had was the screws supplied with the radio were too short to bolt the radio to the kit's brackets.  A quick trip to the hardware store fixed that.  I think leprakong has the same kit if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, I have to say thanks to everyone here who replied!! This forum is awesome!

Yes, I did manage to get the trim out. Following everyone's advice, I started at the 4 o'clock position. I used a butter knife and gently pried it up. It didn't pop out right away but there was enough clearance where I could stick a screw driver in the newly exposed space as a holder. I used the butter knife to work my way around the trim putting more screw drivers along the way. Finally, I hear a massive pop and a clip falls through to the passeneger footwell. As I worked my around counter clockwise to the 7 o'clock position another loud pop followed and a second clip fell to the passeneger footwell. The trim then slid off. I was surprised to see that the clock, hazard light button, and defroster button are attached to the trim. Looking at the metal trim upgrade you can get from the dealer, you would think that those elements would be separate from the trim.

So now I have a big gaping hole in my dash. There is plenty of room in that space. I could probably shove a small fridge in there!!

Are the connectors on the back of the stereos standard or is each unit different? Will I need to get/make an adapter? What have others done? I'm not afraid of soldering and I am actually quite good at it. It's fun to do too. After all, who doesn't want their daily dose of lead exposure? :)

-- Boris

·
Registered
265 Posts
QUOTE (Powered by PopTarts @ Nov 11 2010, 12:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370730
Looking at the metal trim upgrade you can get from the dealer, you would think that those elements would be separate from the trim.
Yeah when I got my carbon fiber door pieces from the dealer they had all of the power window stuff built in I thought that was kind of wateful it would only take 5 minutes to swap your existing switch over... Oh well I can only assume the CF peice from the dealer would have that stuff attached too...

QUOTE (Powered by PopTarts @ Nov 11 2010, 12:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370730
Are the connectors on the back of the stereos standard or is each unit different? Will I need to get/make an adapter? What have others done? I'm not afraid of soldering and I am actually quite good at it. It's fun to do too. After all, who doesn't want their daily dose of lead exposure? :)
Go to your local best buy and buy the adaptor for your accent then when you get the stereo soldier the 2 harnesses together and then the stereo is a direct plug in affair. Nice and clean that way.

I dont know where you find soldier with lead I haven't been able to get any for year...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts