Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the rotors and calipers on my 04 accent gl. I noticed there asre 5 bolts on the back of the caliper. I know one is for the flex hose connection. Then there are 2 big hex bolts closeest to the dust plate. Are those for the caliper mounting bracket? and if so will they need to be removed? Then the final two are on the outter edge, however the top one is rounded and rusted, is this normal? The one on the bottom is a hex. So what needs to be removed to change the rotors and pads? I also notice that there are two screw holes in the rotor, that I guess snug it in place against the hub, howvever the screws are missing. Is this bad? are they needed? and if so can I get new ones?

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
The screws are to hold it together during assembly so not a huge deal. Then remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the caliper mounting bracket. Then remove the pads. Then remove the mounting bracket & remove the rotor. The just do the reverse for install of new parts. Don't forget to compress the piston.

Miles

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (JBimmolate @ May 25 2010, 12:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326040
The screws are to hold it together during assembly so not a huge deal. Then remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the caliper mounting bracket. Then remove the pads. Then remove the mounting bracket & remove the rotor. The just do the reverse for install of new parts. Don't forget to compress the piston.

Miles

Don't forget to pop the shims off the mounting bracket and clean the lugs & flats to bare metal.. the rust growth will squeeze the fit shims and in turn pinch the pads, so they not free to move, lube the lugs, fit shims, and pads into place in the mounts, they should reasonably free.. pull 1 slide pin out at a time, wipe old lube off, apply new lube, push it in & out to make sure pin/slide moves freely so caliper will float and center on its' own.

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE (sean_hawn19 @ May 24 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325988
I need to replace the rotors and calipers on my 04 accent gl. I noticed there asre 5 bolts on the back of the caliper. I know one is for the flex hose connection. Then there are 2 big hex bolts closeest to the dust plate. Are those for the caliper mounting bracket? and if so will they need to be removed? Then the final two are on the outter edge, however the top one is rounded and rusted, is this normal? The one on the bottom is a hex. So what needs to be removed to change the rotors and pads? I also notice that there are two screw holes in the rotor, that I guess snug it in place against the hub, howvever the screws are missing. Is this bad? are they needed? and if so can I get new ones?

Thanks

have a mechanic do it for you. its better to pay for labor charges and make sure someone with a lot more experience do it than to mess up on your brakes yourself. that is something you dont want to mess up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (sean_hawn19 @ May 24 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325988

Thanks
Yes, the banjo bolt is for the brake line and the two big hex head bolts are the caliper mount. THe top one isn't a bolt, just a pin. Remove the bottom bolt and use a flat blade screwdriver or small pry bar to push the caliper piston back a little. Once the pads are loose you can swing the caliper up(the top "bolt" acts as a hinge) out of the way. Since you don't have the "one" philips head screw holding the rotor, it should come right off.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here are a couple of articles you should read is you haven't done this before.

Article 1
Article 2

There are lots of videos and write-ups that you can access on the internet - use your favorite search engine to find them. Here's a link on changing brakes on a truck - most brakes are similar & this video group gives you a really good overview of what you need to do.

Here's a link to a write-up for a front brake change on a Hyundai Accent.

If you decide to change the rotors, remember to compress the pistons in the calipers to give you the maximum amount of room to assemble everything. You can compress brake caliper pistons with a C clamp. Before starting the compression, take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir & put a cloth around the opening - if it's close to full, it may overflow when you push the caliper pistons completely in. Put the reservoir cap someplace where you'll see it and remember to put it back on when you've finished everything - not hard to overlook.

·
Registered
3 Posts
bolt head size and any tips on replacing bracket

What is the head size of bolts on 2001 elantra brake caliper mounting bracket?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
QUOTE (sean_hawn19 @ May 24 2010, 09:09 PM)

have a mechanic do it for you. its better to pay for labor charges and make sure someone with a lot more experience do it than to mess up on your brakes yourself. that is something you dont want to mess up.
this is about the last thing that you should be telling people on forums like this. the core spirit of car forums like this is to learn how to do these jobs. that's why we're here, to learn. i know that most of what i've learned has come or at least started with forums such as these. been a great push in the right direction and encouragement to find what i need to do the job right. if going to a shop is the answer we might as well turn this site into a one page site that says 'go to a shop'.

brakes aren't all that hard, but must be done correctly. the key is having the proper information such as the torque specs. to that end, here's hyundai's shop manual for your car: Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

there's a lot of great advice here. read all you can and watch all the videos you can before doing the job. here's my little tidbits:

- torque wrench and the specs are essential. engineers didn't sit around making this up for fun over beers. the above link will have the necessary specs.

- keep it clean. have a couple cans of the brake cleaner around. if you have a respirator mask handy, use it. always good to keep solvents out of your body.

- you may want disposable gloves for the pads to keep your skin's oil off them.

- trouble spots with these brakes are the unusual sliding bushing on one of the pins for these calipers. the pin slides inside a tube bushing which also slides....tends to seize which in turns trashes the pads. keep them both well lubricated with caliper grease and watch your boots aren't torn. most times it's easier just to get a reman'd caliper but that's your call.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
What is the head size of bolts on 2001 elantra brake caliper mounting bracket?
grab your set of sockets and try a few till you find the right one. they're metric. my memory is hazy but i *think* its 16mm or around there. i replaced a few bolts so i had two different head sizes on my accent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts