Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped the bolt after removing the MAP sensor. It fell onto the plastic undertray below the engine.
I used a magnet to latch onto the bolt and drag it over to the oil filter cover, where I was able to retrieve it.
Just passing along a tip.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Owning a magnetic telescopic wand and a similar small 3 prong grabber is a must if you work on your own stuff. Those little whoopsies are why. Small loops of asking or duct tape will often do in a pinch as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Isn't it amazing when you think you may drop it and need to be extra cautious you actually do.
Absolutely! I am really careful when you are turning the screw by hand on the last couple of threads. I keep telling myself, please don’t drop it!

·
Registered
172 Posts
If I had a penny for every time I dropped my 10mm socket down into the pit of doom under the engine...
And to add insult to injury, my sockets aren't magnetic!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Absolutely! I am really careful when you are turning the screw by hand on the last couple of threads. I keep telling myself, please don’t drop it!
try loosening the tiny torx screws found on the air filter housing on a mercedes GLK 250 diesel you need a steady strate hand no shaking alowed here. i had one cup of coffee and it was tuff 2nd cup after job was done, i tape the torx to the tool im using. for fear of droping it. lol it works!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
It looks like they are primarily titanium used on MRI equipment and very pricey! :eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
It looks like they are primarily titanium used on MRI equipment and very pricey! :eek:
That sounds like a justified expense; I'm picturing an accident involving a socket set and an MRI and it isn't a pretty sight!

Most of my sockets are mid range, not crazy expensive but not cheap junk. Definitely not titanium unfortunately 😋
I can't justify the expense because I keep dropping them into engine bays, never to be seen again!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
That sounds like a justified expense; I'm picturing an accident involving a socket set and an MRI and it isn't a pretty sight!
Since the equipment is never on when worked-on...it must be precautionary, in case a tool is forgotten.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts