Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the apple carplay update and I've left my car running in the driveway. Supposed to take an hour to update so I wanted to lock the car as I have to leave it running. Does anyone know if its possible to lock the car while its running? Theres been a few times I've wanted to do this.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If you have push button and a keyfob, then you cannot lock it while running and walk away. But if someone tries to take off, the engine will cut off as soon as they touch the brake pedal.

If you have the keyed ignition, then you can typically lock all doors except for the driver's side. It will unlock after pressing the lock button.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
On my PB Gen Coupe you can drive away without the fob but the car will not restart if you shut it off. Pushing the brake pedal does not kill the motor.

And you can start the car, lock the passenger door and then get out and lock the drivers door with the fob key.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
On my PB Gen Coupe you can drive away without the fob but the car will not restart if you shut it off. Pushing the brake pedal does not kill the motor.

And you can start the car, lock the passenger door and then get out and lock the drivers door with the fob key.
I've had my car shut off when pressing the brake at times when I hit it too fast with the fob still being detected outside of the car.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I've had my car shut off when pressing the brake at times when I hit it too fast with the fob still being detected outside of the car.
I have a manual so that would be the clutch switch for me. But that's the first I've heard of any time the car shutting off.

Sounds a bit unsafe to me.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have a manual so that would be the clutch switch for me. But that's the first I've heard of any time the car shutting off.

Sounds a bit unsafe to me.
It's very common when remote starting a car. And I've always seen it as a security feature. Allows you to leave the car running and walk away without risk of an insurance deductible and buying a new one.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
But if someone tries to take off, the engine will cut off as soon as they touch the brake pedal.
I've tested this in both my 2015 and my 2017 key-less Sonatas and both of them allow you to drive off without the key. Start car, threw key into grass, shut door, got no key found warning, shifted to drive, and drove down the street. I remember reading complaints about this somewhere, I wanna say NHTSA, back in 2015 since there are standards they enforce about not being able to take the car out of park without the key in it. they haven't fixed it in my 2017.

As for OP, check out the k5os CCM if you want to add this feature they call it stop-and-go, and a hundred other ones, to your car after market. I've put it in both my Sonatas and love it.

https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/k5os-canbus-control-module

·
Registered
406 Posts
Push button start: start car and lock doors with the drivers side lock button, get out of the car and close drivers door. Use physical key turning it clockwise to lock the drivers side door. Car will stay running. Unlock using physical key. The fob buttons will not do anything.

I do this all the time in the summer when traveling with my woofies to keep the air on. For future reference if you have passengers, have them all get out while you stay in then lock the doors, get out and just lock drivers door with key. Voila!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Push button start: start car and lock doors with the drivers side lock button, get out of the car and close drivers door. Use physical key turning it clockwise to lock the drivers side door. Car will stay running. Unlock using physical key. The fob buttons will not do anything.

I do this all the time in the summer when traveling with my woofies to keep the air on. For future reference if you have passengers, have them all get out while you stay in then lock the doors, get out and just lock drivers door with key. Voila!
my driver door lock will not lock it when the car is running and in park.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Even with the key? Maybe put in neutral and put on the parking brake?
Maybe try turning off the auto lock and unlocking through the menus on the instrument cluster. The car might always being unlocking in park with those lock/unlock features enabled. Just an idea not something I've tried

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have push button and a keyfob, then you cannot lock it while running and walk away. But if someone tries to take off, the engine will cut off as soon as they touch the brake pedal.

If you have the keyed ignition, then you can typically lock all doors except for the driver's side. It will unlock after pressing the lock button.

I lock my doors with my car on all the time all you got to do is just wined window down and then use your hand and hit the door lock and then wined the windows up and then do what you got to do

·
Registered
406 Posts
You have to physically be in the car with it running, press the lock button on the driver's door. It will lock all the doors, then proceed to open the drivers door by pulling the handle, the other doors stay locked. Shut the door, and use physical key to lock the drivers door. It's not that difficult...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've tested this in both my 2015 and my 2017 key-less Sonatas and both of them allow you to drive off without the key. Start car, threw key into grass, shut door, got no key found warning, shifted to drive, and drove down the street. I remember reading complaints about this somewhere, I wanna say NHTSA, back in 2015 since there are standards they enforce about not being able to take the car out of park without the key in it. they haven't fixed it in my 2017.

As for OP, check out the k5os CCM if you want to add this feature they call it stop-and-go, and a hundred other ones, to your car after market. I've put it in both my Sonatas and love it.

https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/k5os-canbus-control-module
Hmm, maybe mine did it because it had initially been remote started?

I haven't tried it recently, but I remember testing it when I first got the car. Now I'll have to give it another shot.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts