Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it turns out that I don't know much about keeping my car well serviced and running. Not just for hyundais, but all cars what things do I have to do other than refer to my manual on when to service it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
So it turns out that I don't know much about keeping my car well serviced and running. Not just for hyundais, but all cars what things do I have to do other than refer to my manual on when to service it?
It will vary a little depending upon the vehicle and joining and reading extensively sites dedicated to the vehicle you own should generally tell you about any quirks in maintaining your vehicle. Outside of the general oil/filters some things are either covered poorly IMO or left out of maintenance skeds all together. Below as a few and may or may not be applicable ...

1. Do a good brake flush every two years or so

2. Do a proper coolant flush using a large quantity of distilled water when performing coolant maintenance.

3. Pay attention to lubing things like doors/hinges, etc. especially if you are going to keep the vehicle a long time since they really take a hit on dirt and rain water runoff.

4. Along the same lines as 3 above about every 6 mo go over all you rubber gaskets and plastic/vinyl especially under the hood with 303 ... buy it by the gallon and use it. When I do things under the hood I just spray it on and often don't even wipe it off and that includes things like hose with the only exception being any belts if they are exposed.

5. Many vehicles no call for no transmission maintenance, but if called for do a proper flush and never, ever use any chemicals in doing either transmission or cooling system mainenance.

Those are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head and in the case of trucks or vehicles used to tow I would look at changing the differential fluid at about 5 to 10K miles from new and then about every 50K miles. On my Ford Van I clean and lube the brake caliper pins every 3 to 4 years as those are a week link in corroding and sticking on Ford trucks and Vans.

Larry

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Since you are a "newbie" to the automotive maintenance thing, I recommend you follow the maintenance schedule in your manual. Read about the difference between normal usage and "severe" usage as that will define the maintenance intervals on a number of things. Also be aware of dealer maintenance "packages" that really sell you more maintenance than you need which lines their pockets at the expense of your wallet.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'll throw in here that for the paint, I clay bar 2 or 3 times a year, polish as needed and use a paint sealant like Chemical Guys M-Sealer or Jetseal 109. I may also apply a coat of wax for extra protection. The sealant is good for headlights also to keep them from yellowing over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts