Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am new to this forum. Have had wonderful experiences on other forums, and thought I would give this community a try.

- Was feeling ambitious, and decided to replace my leaking high pressure power steering hose.

- Felt like a champ after cleanly removing both ends of the line. (had to remove the return line from under the drivers side to get access to the high pressure exit).

*** But how do I get that clamp released from below the passenger side? There is an awkward heat shield over it that looks equally challenging to remove.

Anyone here have experience removing this high pressure hose on their car? What tools did you use. Did you have to remove anything else to get better access? My car is currently up on two front wheel ramps. Would I get better access if brought it back down and turned the wheels to one side?

Also, now that the line has been detached, what would happen if I start the car (but didn't turn the wheels). Would there be a big mess? Could I destroy the steering pump?

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Not sure if your problem is access or it's just tight. Depending on the style of fitting I use pipe spanners or ring spanners. Sometimes a rattle gun if it's an accesible banjo fitting. Yes you will make a big mess if you start the engine with an end of the hose off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. Getting ready to hit this again today.

Thanks for the response charlescrown.

Looking up (from underneath the car) the nut I am trying to get off is surrounded on one side by a curve in the bracket it holds to. And there is less than an inch clearance directly beneath the nut.

It looks like there is a bolt on the top, but it is covered by a heat shield. The heat shield is also hard to get at. The best way seems to be from above the engine (gonna pick up a long socket wrench extension to work at removing that shield. Maybe then I will also be able to use the long socket extension to get at that bolt holding the high pressure steering line to my car.

*** Silly question: Obviously I can't drive the car to a garage with the high pressure power steering hose off. Would I be able to attach the new hose at 3 of the 4 points and use tie wraps or elastic bands to hold it and the original line to the car? Leave the original unconnected line in there just to get to a garage, and have them remove it?

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Now I understand what you want to do. As long as the hose is tight at both ends the mountings which your referring to are fitted to stop vibration etc as well as support but for a short trip should be OK. Just make sure it can't rub against anything or touch the exhaust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did it! Got that damn nut off. Actually, I was able to get at the bolt from the top. Had to take off that heat shield. Needed another vantage point coming from the front underneath of the car. Tight space, but got the two nuts that hold the heat shield off. Then had to use an extension on my small socket wrench and reach way down from the top (behind the engine). No looking at the point. All feeling. Also hard to get torque with the mini socket wrench, but got it loose.

Also had to move rubber exhaust clamp, then was able to snake the high pressure line out.

It is now changed. Did a flush. I have power steering again!!!

Thanks for the feedback. Hope this thread helps anyone else attempting a replacement of their power steering hose on a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m doing the power steering hose on my 2005 Tucson and I bought the entire high pressure power steering hose and line assembly as shown in photo, Is this what you had too?

it sounds like we may have the same set up underneath and I already completely removed the line from the car but now I’m really struggling to get this new line/ hose assembly in. Did you put yours in from the top and slide it behind the engine block? Or The passenger tire side? Or insert somewhere else?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.