Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, digital odometers are actually easier to roll back than their mechanical predecessors. I don't know if you have access to CarFax or VIN checks over there but if not, ask to see service records. Usually the dealership (and even independent shops) will mark the in and out mileage on the work order.

Just curious but what makes you suspicious? Does the mileage seem way too low?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
l think you are going to be a bit stuck here noddy. the mileage can be clocked using the right software and a lap top (l've seen it done on much more up market prestige cars than a i10 (sorry, no offence)

as with buying any second hand car if it does'nt smell right walk away (l know its a bit late now in this case)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
There is the off chance that the car really does have the miles that the odometer claims but what I would do is slide under the car with a flashlight, some cleaner and a junk rag. When a car is built, the factory puts grease paint on bolts and joints to confirm that the part was correctly installed. I know this because my sister just bought a brand-new Subaru Forester and the bottom is pristine and covered in these factory marks. Even at 1,300 miles, the undercarriage should still be pretty clean so if the bottom is dirty and you have to wipe parts clean in order to see the paint, I'd bet money it's been rolled back.

I know some cars have some sort of 'tattle-tale' feature like flashing the 'ODO' indicator or in some cases, the whole row of numbers will flash if the mileage has been tampered with. Not sure if Hyundai has this, though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think the state of the tyres would be a good guide. If it really has done less than 1400 miles, they will still have almost 8mm depth and the rears will probably still have the 'pimples' on the walls unless it's been thrashed to death.

At 8k miles or above, I'd expect the tread depth on the front tyres to be down to 6-7mm but the rears would still have minimal wear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (Noddy @ Jul 5 2010, 02:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338904
I understand what you're saying, but on many cars ( I thought it was most ) the EEPROM in the cluster always held onto the genuine millage or logged any change, even though the ODO displayed the adjusted millage. This was some Euro directive to stop clocking. I remember Watchdog investigating clocked cars by checking the genuine millage still held on the cluster EEPROM.

So they pull out the EEPROM and flash it outside the car. OBD doesn't record anything then.

Really there's no way to tell if it was done right. But who the **** is doing this to a Hyundai i10? Profit margins must be bigger with odometer fraud on say BMW and Mercedes. 1k vs 8k on a very new car I don't think will affect the resale value much. If anything you just get better warranty from it, just don't tell Hyundai.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Was it bought from a garage or from an individual.?
Why has it not been serviced?
Maybe trading standards can do some thing about it?
If you present them with all the info gained.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Netherlands to the final of the world cup !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I have just quit my ride whith my my i10 through town.
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
59 Posts
QUOTE (Noddy @ Jul 6 2010, 10:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339321
Individual

Clocking was more then likely planned, so having it serviced would have given the game away ( les then a year old and with a planned clock of less then 10k, no history would be recorded)

Trading Standards said it would be a difficult one to prove for an individual seller, but the owner has passed on the details.

I would have thought that if you can produce evidence that the ODO was clocked, a claim could be made through the small claims court. At least for the difference in value plus expenses.

A threat may make them to decide to take it back and pay your friends costs. The DVLA should also be advised of the true mileage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts