Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2011 Elantra. After 7 yrs, washers have quit spraying. Can hear the pump motor running. From what I can learn, it appears that the bottom of the reservoir has an accumulation of gunk clogging up the filter and pump. I am ready to try to clean out the reservoir by siphoning and/or flushing with a hose. Can anyone suggest a mixture to put in which will dissolve the gunk? I'm thinking vinegar, baking soda, or combinations thereof. Any suggestions? At this point, I'm not ready to go to the trouble of removing the bumper to access the pump motor, without trying the above. Besides, even if I were to remove the pump and filter to clean, I would still be stuck with the gunk in the reservoir.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had this problem on the 2012 I recently bought. It was algae growing in the bottom of the tank. I pulled the pump off the side of the tank (it just pops in), and cleaned the clogged screen on it. Then with the pump still out, I sprayed water (garden hose) into the tank and let it run out the whole the pump came from. It didn't take too long to get all the algae out. It was rubbery and all came out in two or three big chunks. I didn't use anything other than water.

(This is a Sonata, so there was no need to remove the bumper to get to it, just the shield on that side.)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yup, see other post about accessing pump. Remove or just pull back inner fender lining on passenger side and reservoir/pump are right there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had algae too and it kicked in the winter. When the car warmed up, the pump worked so I drained most of the tank and dumped in pure alcohol. It took a few fillings with alcohol but it killed it eventually.

You can also buy a siphon pump or a hose from harbor freight or an oil transfer pump (should be less than 10 dollars) and just pump the stuff out and then fill it up with some water to wash it out then pump it out again. Should save you a lot of time messing with the bumper. You can also stick something in there to agitate it while someone is activating the pump. I think eventually you can get it to pump once you can dislodge the clog (its most likely some kinda sludge or algae clog that will be easy to dislodge or disrupt).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts