Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long Story Short
TPMS light on. Dealer replaced sensor in Rear Driver Side Wheel and reprogrammed, light came back on within 24 hours. Dealer then stated that TPMS module needed replacement. I replaced it simple to do then returned to the dealer to have it reprogrammed. Within 24 hours light came back on. Took car to a DIFFERENT dealer supposedly they called Hyundai engineers they recommend replacing entire TPMS wire harness. $2000 repair I said no thank you.

After spending a lot of time reading the online service manual at https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/ I concluded the following. If you GROUND OUT THE WIRE THAT GOES TO THE TPMS LIGHT IT WILL SHUT OFF.

HOW TO:

1) Remove the instrument cluster.
2) Remove the connector plug directly behind the Tachometer
3) Cut the cable that connects to the TPMS light to the wire harness (Number 10) check the service manual online. My car it was a brownish color.
4) I cut the wire and connected A wire from the grounding bolt directly behind the cluster to the wire harness and BAM light turns off. Wrap electric tape to the other end of the cable that is bare.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
sanat22, thats good information. My son has a 2010 Santa Fe with the same problem and the typical dealer run around. I am going to try what you did to get that light to stay off... Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Long Story Short
TPMS light on. Dealer replaced sensor in Rear Driver Side Wheel and reprogrammed, light came back on within 24 hours. Dealer then stated that TPMS module needed replacement. I replaced it simple to do then returned to the dealer to have it reprogrammed. Within 24 hours light came back on. Took car to a DIFFERENT dealer supposedly they called Hyundai engineers they recommend replacing entire TPMS wire harness. $2000 repair I said no thank you.

After spending a lot of time reading the online service manual at https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/ I concluded the following. If you GROUND OUT THE WIRE THAT GOES TO THE TPMS LIGHT IT WILL SHUT OFF.

HOW TO:

3) Cut the cable that connects to the TPMS light to the wire harness (Number 10) check the service manual online. My car it was a brownish color.
4) I cut the wire and connected A wire from the grounding bolt directly behind the cluster to the wire harness and BAM light turns off. Wrap electric tape to the other end of the cable that is bare.
Wouldn't it just be simpler to remove the bulb?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol bulbs

Hello its 2013 circuit boards are integrated with LED not bulbs and the only way to remove them is with a soldering iron. Like to see you take a soldering iron to the circuit board of the instrument cluster without burning out the entire board. But yes I’m sure it can be done but you better be an expert with a miniaturized soldering iron that costs um...$400.00

My way took 20 minutes but next time I will keep my engineering prowess to myself so all you can suffer.

YOU WELCOME!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2008 Elantra. My TPMS light is on due to a sensor not transmitting properly. I looked on the wiring diagram and found the connector M01-B wire #16 (orange) going to the instrument cluster is the supply. I disconnected the wire from the molex connector and the TPMS light is off. The low tire pressure indicator still works.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good info. Didn't think it was possible. I'm using tpms-less snow tires/wheels. Was going to use the electrical tape method, lol. Wondering if there'd be a way to tap into the wire without taking out the cluster? Maybe a switch to turn it back on for the summer?

On a side note, it's a crock that you have to go to the dealer to program the sensors. Last winter rims I got for another car (MINI) I bought some sensors at TireRack and installed them myself, bought some tires and mounted them. No problem with the TPMS initializing. My Mazda is similar-I bought some snows with TPMS sensors and no problem.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Long Story Short

HOW TO:

Are you talking about the low pressure light or the TPMS module light?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I'll have to try this. I don't have any sensors on my Genesis Coupe and have been living with the light for a couple of years.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my two cents

There are individuals on this forum that have way more experience then me and they will be the first ones to tell you that you should not be cutting spliccing wires of any sorts on your vehicle unless you really know what your doing. I just got pissed off that Hyundai really wasnt sure what the issue was after I gave them 300.00 of my money and the time it took for me to replace the module they felt was faulty.

No two cars are wired the same. (SantFe-Elantra etc) I have the same issue with my Infiniti for over a year and I just use the black tape. Needless to say Im sure one day I will be bored and have nothing better to do but aggravate myself by trying to disengage the light on the g35 also. But thats just a whole other issue!!! ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
There are individuals on this forum that have way more experience then me and they will be the first ones to tell you that you should not be cutting spliccing wires of any sorts on your vehicle unless you really know what your doing. I just got pissed off that Hyundai really wasnt sure what the issue was after I gave them 300.00 of my money and the time it took for me to replace the module they felt was faulty.

No two cars are wired the same. (SantFe-Elantra etc) I have the same issue with my Infiniti for over a year and I just use the black tape. Needless to say Im sure one day I will be bored and have nothing better to do but aggravate myself by trying to disengage the light on the g35 also. But thats just a whole other issue!!! ;)
Point taken and thanks for your time and effort to help us out. By the way, $400 for an iron?? I just did my 300's HVAC panels with a Radio Shack special.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Long Story Short

HOW TO:

Was it the same code that was coming back? Could possibly be electromagnetic interference from a bunch of stuff. Did the dealer go over that with you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2008 Elantra. My TPMS light is on due to a sensor not transmitting properly. I looked on the wiring diagram and found the connector M01-B wire #16 (orange) going to the instrument cluster is the supply. I disconnected the wire from the molex connector and the TPMS light is off. The low tire pressure indicator still works.

Just a quick note to add...I cut the orange/black strip wire back from the molex connector (M01-B wire 16) at about 2 inches away. The wire that is still on the connector is placed to ground. The wire going into the harness I taped over....TPMS light will shut off, low pressure still works. Sorry about the confusion as to my original post....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts